Tal in Saint John, 1988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tal in Saint John, 1988

Tal played in one of the international opens and the World Blitz Championship at the World Chess Festival in Saint John in 1988, but he also gave a simul (photo on front cover of En Passant, June 1988). Anyone know how he fared in the simul? The results are not given in any source I have access to.

Re: Tal in Saint John, 1988

In the February 15th 1988 World Chess Festival daily bulletin, there is a short notice that the Tal simul scheduled for "today" had been rescheduled for "Thursday" which would be February 18th, 1988. Tickets could be purchased.

The last daily bulletin (#19) was dated February 17, 1988.

Tal won the World Blitz Championship on February 19-20, 1988.

Elsewhere I see notices of a black-tie gala simul with Kasparov on February 19th, and also of a simul to be given by John Nunn on Sunday Jan 24th, 1988 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      In the February 15th 1988 World Chess Festival daily bulletin, there is a short notice that the Tal simul scheduled for "today" had been rescheduled for "Thursday" which would be February 18th, 1988. Tickets could be purchased.

The last daily bulletin (#19) was dated February 17, 1988.

Tal won the World Blitz Championship on February 19-20, 1988.

Elsewhere I see notices of a black-tie gala simul with Kasparov on February 19th, and also of a simul to be given by John Nunn on Sunday Jan 24th, 1988 I think.
      It would be nice to have a CFC article/webpage on this event and other major events in Canadian chess history like Montreal 1979, Fischer match 1970, Winnipeg 1967, World Junior 1957, World Championship 1894.

Comment

Aye. 'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'----George Santayana

-- if they're lucky;
        -- or look it up on the internet;

The 1988 World Chess Festival was the most elaborate adult chess undertaking in Canadian chess history, and the one closest to resembling the proposed Toronto Chess Olympics of 2016.

Other events or series of events might be added to Erik's excellent starter list.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
          Tal played in one of the international opens and the World Blitz Championship at the World Chess Festival in Saint John in 1988, but he also gave a simul (photo on front cover of En Passant, June 1988). Anyone know how he fared in the simul? The results are not given in any source I have access to.
          Tal lost one game, and drew at least one (to me, I played black in a Sicilian Najdorf). I believe that he drew a second game as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            It would be nice to have a CFC article/webpage on this event and other major events in Canadian chess history like Montreal 1979, Fischer match 1970, Winnipeg 1967, World Junior 1957, World Championship 1894.
            Chess Canada Echecs - April 2004 has an article on Montreal 1979; August 2004 includes an article on Winnipeg 1967.

Comment

Working...
            X