Richard Riedstra - Rest in peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Riedstra - Rest in peace

Richard Riedstra passed away the first week of December. He was a cofounder and long time president of the KW Chess Club. I recall having many conversations with him about the state of the club and how we could better benefit members. Richard was always interested. Richard was also an avid, long time tournament competitor. In recent years he didnt play much as he had to look after his wife but his mind was often on chess. Finally his health started to break down as he reached the age of 84. Rest in peace Richard, you will be missed.

Re: Richard Riedstra - Rest in peace

I played against Richard Riedstra a few times and he was a very nice man. Sorry to hear the news. All the best to his family during these tough times.

RIP Richard.

John Erickson

Comment

If memory serves me Hans, I played Mr. Riedstra at the Canadian Open held in London, 1993, which you yourself helped to organize. I believe he was a musician? I certainly remember him being a gentleman.

Comment

Yes Brad, quite the musician - played in the symphony orchestra for years - son caught the bug and has run a violin making shop for many years in downtown Kitchener. Richard (Dick) was always the gentleman but also had an ascerbic wit and a wry sense of humour.

Comment

Working...
        X