Calgarians NM David Zhang and Nicka Kalaydina take 2012 Can. Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgarians NM David Zhang and Nicka Kalaydina take 2012 Can. Jr.

Calgarians NM David Zhang and Nicka Kalaydina won the 2012 Canadian Junior Championship! David won the open section with the incredible 6.5/7 despite being only the 5th highest rated player. Second went to NM Richard Wang from Edmonton with 6/7 and third went to FM Shiyam Thavandiran from Ontario. Nicka Kalaydina was the pre-tournament favourite and her domination was never in doubt as she finished the tournament with 4.5/5. Both Nicka and David have won the right to represent Canada in the World Junior in Greece later this year. Tournament results are available at: http://www.cjcc2012.ca/
    All tournament games are available at: http://albertachess.org/Games.html and pictures can be viewed by going to: https://picasaweb.google.com/vrekhso...dianJunior2012
    Special thanks goes to Head Organizer Frank Kluytmans and the entire organizing committee for bringing this event to Alberta.

Re: Calgarians NM David Zhang and Nicka Kalaydina take 2012 Can. Jr.

Congratulations to winners.

A tall girl in a center is Nicka.
    David is 6th from right in grey behind Nicka.

Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 9th January, 2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: corrected

Comment

Open Standings?

Hi Vlad:

The Open Standings only show the crosstable to Rd. 6. Can it be updated?

Thx.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Congratulations to winners.

A tall girl in a center is Nicka, isn't?
        A boy with glasses on the right side is David , isn't?
        Yes, Nicka center in blue
        No David is 6th from right in grey behind Nicka

Comment

Congratulations to NM David Zhang and Nicka Kalaydina!

Outstanding results for outstanding individuals. This was my first time meeting David and I found him to be a very gracious and very sportsmanlike player. I have known Nicka from the WYCC Team and she is a very warm and likable person.

Both Nicka and David are excellent individuals and will do well in representing Canada at the World Junior's. Congratulations to both!

I would also like to commend the wonderful job that the Organizers did. DGT boards on top 3 boards with accurate and timely broadcoast of games. Timely publishing of pairings and standings, timely start of rounds, and timely release of all game notation. The organizers were very hospitable providing lunch on the opening and closing days and daily snacks. Fine touches like individually named name plates for all players at their boards; and certificate of excellence recognition for each players' hard work for this National event. And the list goes on.

Thank you to Head Organizer, Frank Kluytmans, to Vlad Rekhson, to Paul, and to the many others who help make this event one that will be remembered fondly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NM David Zhang.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	185511

Name:	Regina-Veronicka Kalaydina.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	185512

Name:	Canadian Junior 2012 Organizers.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	185513

Comment

Great result for Alberta chess. Well done all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
              Congratulations to NM David Zhang and Nicka Kalaydina!

Outstanding results for outstanding individuals. This was my first time meeting David and I found him to be a very gracious and very sportsmanlike player. I have known Nicka from the WYCC Team and she is a very warm and likable person.

Both Nicka and David are excellent individuals and will do well in representing Canada at the World Junior's. Congratulations to both!

I would also like to commend the wonderful job that the Organizers did. DGT boards on top 3 boards with accurate and timely broadcoast of games. Timely publishing of pairings and standings, timely start of rounds, and timely release of all game notation. The organizers were very hospitable providing lunch on the opening and closing days and daily snacks. Fine touches like individually named name plates for all players at their boards; and certificate of excellence recognition for each players' hard work for this National event. And the list goes on.

Thank you to Head Organizer, Frank Kluytmans, to Vlad Rekhson, to Paul, and to the many others who help make this event one that will be remembered fondly.

[ATTACH]447[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]449[/ATTACH]

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for your positive spin!

I am sure the folks in Calgary did a great job!

I guess what we have to discuss is if this is the calibre of a Canadian Junior that we want. For me, this event has fallen way below what we can do...not in terms of organization (which is what you have applauded and with which I agree...from afar) but in terms of bringing our best out to compete.

I have just sent a proposal to CFC exec Fred McKim for the next Canadian Junior...which I hope addresses this problem...

well problem...from my perspective :)

Larry

Comment

great and successful game

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                  Great result for Alberta chess. Well done all!!
                  Hi Hal,

I like you and I think you have done some great stuff over the years......but...I have some questions...Care to elaborate from your point of view...as to the Canadian Chess perspective on this event?

And as FIDE rep...do you believe we did our best for CANADA?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Chaisson View Post
                    Thnx for a correction. (I updated my post too not to confuse others :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

I have just sent a proposal to CFC exec Fred McKim for the next Canadian Junior...which I hope addresses this problem...

well problem...from my perspective :)
                      It may address the problem short term ... for the next Canadian Junior. After which the problem will return, unless some formal change is made by the CFC.

Comment

Canadian Junior CC - New Format?

A CFC member has brought the following proposal for future Canadian Junior CC's to the Executive to review:

Have both a Western Junior Chess Championship and an Eastern Junior Chess Championship with the two winners eventually squaring off in an old fashioned match tournament for the national title?

His supportive comments were:

1. Canada's a big country and it gets rather expensive for those here in the east to make their way west and vice versa when the site is in the east.
                        2.You'd get far better participation and only one player each year would have to go to the expense of making a long trip (hopefully financed in part by the CFC).
                        3. A very simple but effective solution to the problem of low junior participation.

Any thoughts on this proposal?

Bob A

Comment

Re: Canadian Junior CC - New Format?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          A CFC member has brought the following proposal for future Canadian Junior CC's to the Executive to review:

Have both a Western Junior Chess Championship and an Eastern Junior Chess Championship with the two winners eventually squaring off in an old fashioned match tournament for the national title?

His supportive comments were:

1. Canada's a big country and it gets rather expensive for those here in the east to make their way west and vice versa when the site is in the east.
                          2.You'd get far better participation and only one player each year would have to go to the expense of making a long trip (hopefully financed in part by the CFC).
                          3. A very simple but effective solution to the problem of low junior participation.

Any thoughts on this proposal?

Bob A
                          I am not sure how telling someone who didn't want to come from BC to Alberta for the Canadian Junior that he would need to come for the Western Canadian Junior only to qualify for the final would make them more likely to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                            I am not sure how telling someone who didn't want to come from BC to Alberta for the Canadian Junior that he would need to come for the Western Canadian Junior only to qualify for the final would make them more likely to come.
                            Ya, it seems too expensive and additionally, there are many more stronger players in eastern Canada than western Canada. It would actually be unfair for those in Ontario/Quebec since they will face stronger opposition than the winner from BC/Alberta. This is why Blue jays fans want a balanced schedule. As an analogy, playing in the AL east is much tougher than playing in the AL central. I hope most of you understood that comparison.
                            Shameless self-promotion on display here
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                              Hi Vlad:

You are right that if someone isn't coming, they won't no matter what we do.

I think the members' point was that there will be people in BC who will currently come to Calgary for a CJCC, but not to Halifax.

But they would come to the Western JCC. So if we have two regionals, it is attractive to those families who have less income, because they only have the expense related to travel in their own region. The only time they may have a problem is when they have to go to the final match championship - but if they played in the regionals, hopefully they will agree to go to the final.

And it may be that the regionals will have to generate enough revenue, to not only provide a WJCC bursary, but also a CJCC busary.

Bob
                              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 11th January, 2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X