Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian University Championships at Western

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    The peak for me was a few years ago, when IA / GMC / FM Jonathan Berry used one of the games I had posted, along with the chesstalk results data, and devoted his terrific Globe and Mail column for an event report. But he needs that info no later than Tuesday of this week for Saturday's Globe, if memory serves!! :) :)
    Thanks for the kind words, Frank. Technology has moved ahead, but unfortunately other aspects of the newspaper biz can have changed too. Whereas it used to be that I needed material by Wednesday (but preferably a day earlier, because otherwise I might have already decided to write about something else) for the Saturday, I now need to write the column by Thursday for the Saturday two weeks hence. In other words, 16 days in advance. This has to do with the particular page that the chess column happens to be on, being typeset far in advance. Rarely, even that is not good enough; for example, after the Japanese earthquake, that page got pre-empted.

Originally posted by Jean Hebert
    I wonder if one day some organizers will understand that without gamescores their events kind of vanish for ever as soon as it is over.
    Organizers sometimes rail at the cost of duplicating scoresheets. Other options include: reusable carbon paper; duplicating scoresheets for only the top boards; requiring the scoresheets to be submitted for game results; returning the scoresheets after the tournament or the next round, after having input the game or scanned the scoresheet. I agree with Jean. If I don't get timely access to a game (among which must be a "good game", and I'm not an elitist, a good game can be played by non-GMs), it's possible I won't bother to report the event at all. There's so much going on in the chess world, and only 52 (53 in 2011) Saturdays in a year.

So, if you played a good game at London, you can email even a scan of the scoresheet to me at jberry@islandnet.com today Tuesday or tomorrow Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      or scanned the scoresheet.
      Scanning is a slow and noisy process. It is better to take a picture of a scoresheet and a person to illustrate his(-er) mood after the game :)

Was it Aeroflot or MoscowOpen who posted JPGs of scoresheets several years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Scanning is a slow and noisy process. It is better to take a picture of a scoresheet and a person to illustrate his(-er) mood after the game :)

Was it Aeroflot or MoscowOpen who posted JPGs of scoresheets several years ago?
        Absolutely right. Take pics of scoresheets in a well-lit area to avoid fuzziness / flash.

I'm imagining the photo of the mood scoresheet of Morphy vs. Duke & Count.

Comment

Working...
        X