2012 Ontario Open: May 19-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Ontario Open: May 19-21

The 2012 Ontario Open will be held in Thunder Bay this year from May 19th-21st. More details to follow soon, I just figured I'd post this now so that some of the long time veterans will be able to know what days to mark off on the calendar. Also with the OCA AGM this year, rather than having it in Thunder bay and having virtually no one show up, I'd like to shift to an online meeting so that people from all across Ontario can easily see whats going on and participate. I've talked to some people about this tentatively and everyone seems to like it but if you have any issues with this going forward please let me know.

Re: 2012 Ontario Open: May 19-21

2012 Ontario Open
    Dates: May 19-21, 2012
    Place: The GameShelf, 920 Memorial Ave., Thunder Bay, Ontario

Round Times:
    Saturday the 19th: Round 1: 10am-2pm, Round 2: 3pm-7pm
    Sunday the 20th: Round 3: 10am-2pm, Round 4: 3pm-7pm
    Monday the 21st: Round 5: 1pm-5pm

Type: Swiss
    TC: G/120 min per side
    Rounds: 5
    EF: $40 if preregistered by May 11th. If registration occurs after the 11th, entry fee is 60$
    Prizes: Based upon Entry Fees, as well as sponsored by our local Mr. Sub and McDonald's
    Eligibility: All players must be CFC members

Comment

I played in an Ontario Open in Thunder Bay. I remember in the last round gambitting a pawn and waiting for my unrated opponent to crack, but he played solid and won. I remember seeing the Sleeping Giant island and the first time seeing women driving buses and taxis. It was a long time ago.

I tried searching for airfares, unfortunately Porter and Air Canada 50% off sales ended last week, cheaper prices with promo codes:

Westjet $208+112 taxes=$320/$332 $109+99 seat sale fare + taxes= $320
      www.westjet.com

Air Canada Tango 228+114tax=$342/$379 129+119= $248+tax
      www.aircanada.com

Porter (island airport) $368, 276+163= $339
      www.flyporter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
        I played in an Ontario Open in Thunder Bay. I remember in the last round gambitting a pawn and waiting for my unrated opponent to crack, but he played solid and won. I remember seeing the Sleeping Giant island and the first time seeing women driving buses and taxis. It was a long time ago.

I tried searching for airfares, unfortunately Porter and Air Canada 50% off sales ended last week, cheaper prices with promo codes:

Westjet $208+112 taxes=$320/$332 $109+99 seat sale fare + taxes= $320
        www.westjet.com

Air Canada Tango 228+114tax=$342/$379 129+119= $248+tax
        www.aircanada.com

Porter (island airport) $368, 276+163= $339
        www.flyporter.com
        It is unfortunate Canada's so big when it comes to chess tournaments. While it might be expensive to get up to Thunder Bay I have to say that its a beautiful place and anyone who is able to make the trip up should. Seeing the sleeping giant looking across our harbour is pretty spectacular. It was actually voted by Canadians as number one in terms of the Seven wonders of Canada held by the CBC in 2007. Anyone who wants to see what I'm talking about in terms of the sleeping giant should check the link out.

http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/image...g_giant_lg.jpg

Anyone who wants a closer look should preregister for the Ontario Open.

Comment

My apologies to the organizers, I forgot to mention the address with which to preregister. If you're interested in playing in the Ontario Open please contact the organizers via the email above or send inquiries (or a cheque) to:

Central Canada Chess League
          Box 29132
          Thunder Bay, Ont
          P7B 6P9

Comment

I realize it's early days yet but some info about accommodation would be helpful at some point.

Comment

Cccl??

Hi Rob:

Is the name change from Northern Ontario Chess League ( NOCL ) to Central Canada Chess League ( CCCL ) as a result of the northern separatist movement, sponsored by dissatisfaction with CFC performance re northern tournament ratings, some years ago?

If so, has the OCA changed its records to reflect the separation, and does OCA still devolve funds to them, received for Ontario from the CFC as rebates? Or does the CFC now make a rebate directly to CCCL? If the latter, why do they not have their own CFC governor?

Lastly, can the OCA act as intermediary to try to open discussions between CCCL and CFC to see if differences can be resolved, and Northern Ontario return to the OCA set of provincial leagues ( now three - GTCL, SWOCL, and EOCA )?

Bob , OCA Governor ( wondering what is going on?? )
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 24th February, 2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X