Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hart House Reading Week Open: Feb 18-20, 2012

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
    When are the next HH tournaments? The ratings are getting too arable over there in Toronto
    Hi Eric,

I agree that ratings are getting arable over here. The only thing it will increase is bragging rights inside our community. It only creates faulty images of the lever here. I doubt you see anywhere in the world FMs with 2535 and IM’s with 2579 and 2630 ratings!

FIDE ratings are more important for many reasons and they should be used as primary rating. Having unreal CFC rating only creates confusion with the real chess world.

Any GM with 2600+ and 2700+ has his right for this rating to be adjusted to reflect its true strength in our tournaments. For something like of Kasparov, Aronian or Carlsen statue his rating in CFC format would be equivalent of 3500!!! ;)

I doubt you will see any where else in the world an IMs with 2580 or 2630 rating on the field of GMs. Only here it is possible for some strange reason.

BTW: I enjoyed your analyses in newest informant issue. Your game analysis against Gashimov is good. Your smashing win against Michael Barron in 26 moves, that you analysed is very impressive in new article ‘Rising Stars’! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
      When are the next HH tournaments? The ratings are getting too arable over there in Toronto and could use some good Albertan-style farming.
      Hahaha, not sure when the next one will be. We'll have an exec meeting soon to decide.

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
      Hi guys,
      I would like to ask if someone has taken photos of the event?
      And if it is possible to share them?
      Thanks.
      Hi Erwin, I remember several people taking them, and one person offering to send them to the hh email. I'll see if I can track them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
        Hi Eric,

I agree that ratings are getting arable over here. The only thing it will increase is bragging rights inside our community. It only creates faulty images of the lever here. I doubt you see anywhere in the world FMs with 2535 and IM’s with 2579 and 2630 ratings!

FIDE ratings are more important for many reasons and they should be used as primary rating. Having unreal CFC rating only creates confusion with the real chess world.

Any GM with 2600+ and 2700+ has his right for this rating to be adjusted to reflect its true strength in our tournaments. For something like of Kasparov, Aronian or Carlsen statue his rating in CFC format would be equivalent of 3500!!! ;)

I doubt you will see any where else in the world an IMs with 2580 or 2630 rating on the field of GMs. Only here it is possible for some strange reason.

BTW: I enjoyed your analyses in newest informant issue. Your game analysis against Gashimov is good. Your smashing win against Michael Barron in 26 moves, that you analysed is very impressive in new article ‘Rising Stars’! :D
        I don't know which IM you refer to with 2579 rating but the only IM with 2630 is Nikolai Noritsyn who is now even higher after this win!
        Now you seem to be unaware of the glaring flaw in your logic. You say that if
        an IM has a 2600+ rating he is rated too high. You do not consider the posibility that the IM should in fact be a GM! And, by the way, Noritsyn did achieve a solid GM norm in the recent Montreal tournament where he scored three wins and three draws against six GMs. I predict that Noritsyn will be a GM before you reach 2200 on the soft CFC scale.

Or is it possible that you are assessing these players level through your personal judgement of their play. I would suggest that you are not qualified to judge the level of play of someone at least 500 rating points above you.

Comment

Hi Vlad,

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          I don't know which IM you refer to with 2579 rating but the only IM with 2630 is Nikolai Noritsyn
          Congratulations, you figured it out!

IM with 2630 is Nikolai Noritsyn who is now even higher after this win!.
          I wonder what would have happened, if Bator played. He was busy winning Ottawa tournament with 5/5 that weekend!

Now you seem to be unaware of the glaring flaw in your logic
          We also fails to see your logic of thoght. Since when IM equals a GM title? Even if you have an IM norm, and achieved a GM norm it does not give you a title in anyway. Maybe somehow in your logic, it does.

Last time I checked GM titles are not given at Canadian Zonal (Canadian Open #2)! Only time it was given, is if won USSR championship (or finished in top 5 there) and didn’t have GM title at the moment. Considering very strong level of play and sometimes 4-5 Ex-World Champions were playing! FIDE would award GM title in that case.

Perhaps you can explain to us all your thought. We are all dying to know. :D

I predict that Noritsyn will be a GM before you reach 2200 on the soft CFC scale
          I also predict that Bator will reach strong 2600 level on FIDE scale, before Nikolay and Ariom will get GM titles, or you finally organize a strong International event ( instead of posting continuously on chesstalk).

FYI: I did reach over 2200 level! Thank you very much. Unfortunately when I started coaching I was not able to do well both: coaching and playing. My rating slipped, while my students rating sky rocketed. One of them is over 2200 lever and finished 6th in Hart House Open tournament, drawing IM Arthul Calugar and IM Tomas Krnan.

I would suggest that you are not qualified to judge the level of play of someone at least 500 rating points above you.
          If we were taking 500 FIDE rating points, then I would consider your suggestion or a player with GM and IM title that was s/he earned in a real event and NOT in Canadian Zonal (Canadian Open #2)!

Good luck!
          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Friday, 24th February, 2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Mikhail,

We talked at Hart House, and I said that Razvan should know what to do on the third move of a Scandinavian. That was friendly coach-to-coach criticism. That certainly was not anything personal against you, or Razvan (for whom I have a lot of respect after our game, and I wish him all the best in conquering new chess heights). You replied with an attack against my brother. I thought that was childish, so I did not reply back. However, I did not expect you to continue this on chesstalk. I really do not want to be your next victim.

For your information, ratings are simply to measure an approximate strength of players compared to each other. If I am rated 200 points higher then someone, I am expected to score 75% against him. And it does not matter if my rating is 1600, 2600, or 3600.
            Of course, compared to fide, cfc ratings are inflated. But that would not make Carlsen or other foreign gms who can potentially play in Canada 3500 players either...When foreign players come to play in Canadian/Quebec Open, many of the top canadians even manage to improve their cfc ratings playing against them.

If Bator would have played in Hart House, there would be one more very strong player in the event, and the results would probably be different. Judging from my score with Bator, I would have less chances of winning the event. However, Bator does not win all tournaments he plays in...and I can fully understand that he chose to play in Ottawa instead.

Regards,
            Nikolay

Comment

Hi Nikolay,

First I would like to congratulate you winning a strong tournament! From what I heard, you had a very hard first round game against Razvan. Some saying you were losing, but managed to pull it off. Usually first round games are a breeze for you!

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
              We talked at Hart House, and I said that Razvan should know what to do on the third move of a Scandinavian.
              I do thank you for your concern. I think Razven knows what to do, considering his draw in that game against ex-Olympian IM Tomas Krnan!

Yes we talked after the game, after I congratulated you on your win. I do admire your do friendly-to-friendly coach criticism. I suggested for you to concentrate on your younger brother instead. He seems to have memorized 1.b3 system really well, but got mated (like he did in last game) and losing a whole rook a game before. The only reason why he won that game, is because his opponent blunder a whole queen back! This is nothing personal, just my friendly adcvice from one coach to the other.

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
              I really do not want to be your next victim.
              Apparently, I am your victim! Since, you now bashing my coaching skills now. For the reason, still unknown to me. I hope Vlad didn’t put you up to this. :D

I sincerely do wish you best of luck in your future endeavours!

Best wishes,

Mikhail
              Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Friday, 24th February, 2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Hart House Reading Week Open: Feb 18-20, 2012

He seems to have memorized 1.b3 system really well, but got mated (like he did in last game) and losing a whole rock a game before.
                Hi Mikhail,

Please let me know if you see his rock anywhere in this picture. I'd be happy to return it.

Regards,

Aman

Comment

Mikhail,

Thanks for the congratulations. I did need some luck in the first three games in the tournament. Razvan refused to repeat or simplify the position many times, trying very hard to win and refusing a draw, when the position was already probably equal. I myself do that quite often. I respect Razvan for playing on. But that is all irrelevant, isnt it? Just like Sergeys results, whether or not he memorized 1.b3 or how he lost or won his games.

I was not bashing your "coaching skills". I even repeated in the last post, that my comment was completely friendly. There is no sacrasm or hidden meanings in my words.
                  I did not say that Razvan does not know what to do. I said that he did not know the opening.

Why are you mentioning Vlad? Why do you think there is always a conspiracy?

Nikolay

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Hart House Reading Week Open: Feb 18-20, 2012

Thanks for correction Aman. It is now fixed. :)

Comment

Hi Eric,

Mikhail,

You've launched into a diatribe on the subject of ratings based on what I take by Eric was a semi-tongue-in-cheek comment. Simply some friendly taunting.

As Nikolay correctly pointed out, FIDE ratings, CFC ratings and any other similar system simply predict the most likely outcome of a game based upon the ratings difference. The absolute value of a rating is without intrinsic meaning. A chess rating is not like how much mass is in a kilogram. A chess rating is an approximate measure of relative chess playing strength based upon some statistical assumptions (that are not always true). We all (including myself) attach significance to the nominal value of our ratings despite the fact that they're not meaningful in a precise sense of measurement (the first thing I do after most tournaments is to look to see how many points I've gained or more likely lost).

Eric was just having fun with his statement. Gesturing and posturing is part of the fun of any game or sport. And bantering about ratings is part of what makes chess fun. It's trash talk chess-style. (BTW -- US College Footballl uses a variation of Elo's rating methods to determine it's Bowl Championship games).

Steve Karpik
                      Last edited by Steve Karpik; Friday, 24th February, 2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

My comment was too simply point out the facts, nothing more. Anyone can interpret them on this forum as they wish. Some people think that this rating show true strength, some think otherwise. It seems that our ratings are simply became over inflated, compared to FIDE rating standards.

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                        (BTW -- US College Footballl uses a variation of Elo's rating methods to determine it's Bowl Championship games).
                        This subject care what Elo rating US College Football uses to determine it’s Bown Championship games has nothing to do with this subject.

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                        (the first thing I do after most tournaments is to look to see how many points I've gained or more likely lost).
                        Most of people here check their rating after next tournament update. Everyone wants their rating to reach new heights. But players need to consider in what environments it is accomplished. Lets’ just say Hart House tournament is not Corus type of tournament, where world top tier players compete annually.

It seems too me, that you are taking this issue too personally. My personal suggestion, that you don’t!

Comment

Lets’ just say Hart House tournament is not Corus type of tournament, where world top tier players compete annually.
                          Is that why you didn't play?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Moffat View Post
                            Is that why you didn't play?
                            Hi Andrei,

That is not the reason why I didn't play. I am fulfilling more of a coaching job
                            now days, and was busy going over the games after each round.

In the past I tried doing both: playing and coaching, but I would not recommend to do both for anyone who is eager to improve his/her rating. :)

Mikhail

Comment

Working...
                            X