1...d6 Move by Move-Lakdawala(Everyman 2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1...d6 Move by Move-Lakdawala(Everyman 2011)

Almost finished this 400pp effort. This is a very nice book for 1500-2100ish level players who want a repertoire springing from one move against anything.

After 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 c6 4.f4 the repertoire is 4...Qa5!? which I'm not sure how much to trust. The writing style is narrative based with Q+A thrown in and little exercises. There are no showers of novelties.

58 annotated games are given.

Overall a good value and an interesting book.

Other books I went through recently

Develpments in the Dragon-Vigorito
    The focus is on the 6.Be3 Yugoslav Attack. No other lines are covered. 45 annotated games are given.

Developments in the Benoni-Palliser
    The focus is on 3 lines
    -h3/Bd3(A70)
    -Taimanov Attack(A67)
    -g3(A62-64)
    readers are expected to find other sources for developments in other lines. 45 annotated games are given.

Both are quite readable in complete games format. I would guess good to 2200ish and you would have to check the latest games from TWIC before playing the lines just to be on the safe side in these volatile and trendy defences.

Re: 1...d6 Move by Move-Lakdawala(Everyman 2011)

I recently bought the book about the Blackmar-Diemer gambit by Christoph Scheerer. It is excellent and very comprehensive.

Richard Palliser is an excellent author. I recently bought the book he wrote about the Trompowsky.

Comment

Re: GM Battle Manual(Quality Chess 2011)

GM Battle Manual-Kotronias(Quality Chess 2011)

Is also a very interesting book. Ch5 Facing Lower rated opponents features the approaches of Landa, Epishin and Miroshnichenko. Chapter starts off with summary of strenths of players 100-150 points apart. Author notes that the weaker player often excels in
      -preparing and memorizing long lines
      -calculating absolutle forced lines with no branches in attack

Then a general breakdown of the approach for openning, middlegame and ending is given.

In middlegame for example
      -head for semi-blocked positions with a slight space advantage

Many complete games included in the book. Nicely written and full of useful wisdom. Not finished reading it yet.

Comment

Re: 1.d4 Beat the Guerrillas-Bronznik(New in Chess 2011)

Pretty good book(270pp). Useful for 1.d4 players and likely not much use for anyone else unless you want to know everything about all sideline openings.

The virtually unkown IM uses 58 complete games/analysis fragments. Main games are a mixture of OTB games anc correspondance games. The strong point of the book is the extensive bibliography of other recent sources checked.

Included are the English defence, Baltic defence, Budapest Gambit etc and very useful is the delayed Stonewall(A85) which has been giving me trouble lately.

A very good effort.

Comment

Working...
        X