Gibraltar Magic for Short and Ho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltar Magic for Short and Ho

The Gibraltar Tradewise tournament ended today in spectacular fashion. Tied for first at the end of regular play was Hou Yifan after a draw against the much higher rated Mamedyarov, an incredible performance for the 17 year old. At the other end of the age spectrum, the old fox, Nigel Short, won his last round game to tie at the top. In the playoff, Nigel trounced Hou in the first game and drew the second to take the tournament.
    Brilliant performance by both in a magical tournament. A tournament for and of the ages.
    :D
    Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Thursday, 2nd February, 2012, 03:01 PM. Reason: correct spelling of Hou Yifan

Re: Gibraltar Magic for Short and Ho

Don't want to be too picky about transliteration of Chinese names, but isn't the usual spelling Hou Yifan .

Wonderful performance, anyway.

Comment

Re: Gibraltar Magic for Short and Ho

I stand corrected. I was working off a rather eccentric website.

Comment

Re: Gibraltar Magic for Short and Hou

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        In the playoff, Nigel trounced Hou in the first game and drew the second to take the tournament.
        Brilliant performance by both in a magical tournament. A tournament for and of the ages.
        :D
        Well, the notes at the Chessbase site point out that she missed a probable win in the first playoff game. So I think it's unfair to say that she was "trounced"...

At 17 she turned in a performance rating higher than any other player
        in the world's actual current rating. Pretty impressive.

Comment

Working...
        X