Swiss-Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss-Manager

The new version of Swiss Manager (version 2011) has a new menu-item to import the Canadian ratings. From Rating lists menu select Update CAN-ratinglist

Re: Swiss-Manager

Sweet :)

It's probably about time we change to Swiss Manager, to be honest.
    Swiss System or whatever it is we've been using doesn't seem to be on FIDE's list of recommended programs:
    http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...3&view=article
    Section D at the bottom.

As a player, arbiter, organizer and just overall interested amateur, I've noticed serious flaws and discrepancies with Swiss System.
    - 3 colours in a row
    - 2 colours in a row in round 2, to the highest player when the lowest rated player was also due the same colour, both with same points
    - The program reading ahead requested byes as a reasoning not to use seed to give a forced bye now (I question legitimacy here, since the req bye had not yet taken place)
    - Repeated violations where highest (or lowest if playing down) rated player continuously gets put in a higher point group due to this group having an odd number of players, rules state that a player should not play up (points group wise) or down more than once every 3 rounds

And I am certain a few more I don't recall off hand.
    Most of the above can be checked / "fixed" in some obscure boxes in SwissSys, and a lot of the options seem to exist if one chooses to adopt some USCF rules (of which to be honest I am quite ignorant on).

Swiss Manager seems to be the standard program used in Europe. I only played three tournaments there and did not spot anything wrong in any of the rounds, whereas I do quite often in tournaments I am involved in here in Canada. However just the fact that it's recognized and recommended by FIDE should be a hint of its superiority.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
      Sweet :)

It's probably about time we change to Swiss Manager, to be honest.
      Swiss System or whatever it is we've been using doesn't seem to be on FIDE's list of recommended programs:
      http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...3&view=article
      Section D at the bottom.

As a player, arbiter, organizer and just overall interested amateur, I've noticed serious flaws and discrepancies with Swiss System.
      - 3 colours in a row
      - 2 colours in a row in round 2, to the highest player when the lowest rated player was also due the same colour, both with same points
      - The program reading ahead requested byes as a reasoning not to use seed to give a forced bye now (I question legitimacy here, since the req bye had not yet taken place)
      - Repeated violations where highest (or lowest if playing down) rated player continuously gets put in a higher point group due to this group having an odd number of players, rules state that a player should not play up (points group wise) or down more than once every 3 rounds

And I am certain a few more I don't recall off hand.
      Most of the above can be checked / "fixed" in some obscure boxes in SwissSys, and a lot of the options seem to exist if one chooses to adopt some USCF rules (of which to be honest I am quite ignorant on).

Swiss Manager seems to be the standard program used in Europe. I only played three tournaments there and did not spot anything wrong in any of the rounds, whereas I do quite often in tournaments I am involved in here in Canada. However just the fact that it's recognized and recommended by FIDE should be a hint of its superiority.

Alex F.
      I believe the CFC made a deal with the author of SwissSys (involving some $$) - perhaps they were not able to make such a deal with Swiss Manager, and every TD would have to fork out the $99 or whatever it is...

Nevertheless, I agree that SwissSys has some serious issues and I hated using it. Swiss Manager seems a lot more capable and it actually *works* and is endorsed by FIDE and has a much better chance of being up to date and have bug fixes etc.

checked the pricing for Swiss-Manager (maybe most TDs in Canada could use the light version?):
      Reduced price from 1.1.2012
      150 Euro for the full version
      75 Euro for the light version (Swiss System up to 60 participants / 11 rounds, round robin analogy with full version, team-round robin up to 6 teams)
      Last edited by Kerry Liles; Monday, 6th February, 2012, 04:21 PM. Reason: pricing info
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I believe the CFC made a deal with the author of SwissSys (involving some $$) - perhaps they were not able to make such a deal with Swiss Manager, and every TD would have to fork out the $99 or whatever it is...

Nevertheless, I agree that SwissSys has some serious issues and I hated using it. Swiss Manager seems a lot more capable and it actually *works* and is endorsed by FIDE and has a much better chance of being up to date and have bug fixes etc.

checked the pricing for Swiss-Manager (maybe most TDs in Canada could use the light version?):
        Reduced price from 1.1.2012
        150 Euro for the full version
        75 Euro for the light version (Swiss System up to 60 participants / 11 rounds, round robin analogy with full version, team-round robin up to 6 teams)
        My understanding is that countries, or even regions within countries, can buy licences of Swiss Manager, that can be used for all of their Organizers. For example, when I was in Greece, I was told (albeit in a bar room) that they had 5 licences for the whole country. If I am wrong, I apologize for the inaccuracy. However, if I am right, not expensive at all!

I continue to be shocked by the Swiss-Sys problems, and harbour some dark thoughts as to why we are still using it. It can be disgraceful. A case in point was at our last Ottawa event. For every round, we had printed copies of the Swiss-Sys pairings, which helped us enormously in the last round. You see, the pairing on THE TOP BOARD was based on a DIFFERENT COLOUR HISTORY than had actually happened. I have no idea how that is even possible, but one of our top players played Black in a particular early round, and by the time the last round pairings were done, it had changed to White. We checked our hardcopy printouts, and YES, SWISS-SYS CHANGED THE HISTORY! :( :( :(

P.S. At the upcoming Ottawa Winter Open, I am doing the pairings by hand! By the way, there were over a dozen new registrations in the mailbox today, will post them soon! ;)

Comment

- 3 colours in a row
          It did not help me (only 1.5/3) :D

Comment

Right you are Aris - Swiss Manager can be licenced for Canada. I look forward to chatting with Rene this weekend at the Guelph Winter Pro-Am.

Comment

As a player, arbiter, organizer and just overall interested amateur, I've noticed serious flaws and discrepancies with [SwissSys] Swiss System.
              The standard pairing software in Mexico is Swiss Master (descended from the DOS-based Petunia, Swiss46, Swiss49 etc). At this link, an Australian arbiter compares Swiss Master with the homegrown Swiss Perfect. I got the chance to supervise the pairings of the 2006 tournament in Morelia (held in conjunction with the Linares-Morelia supertournament of that year), paired under Swiss Master (licensed through KNSB, the Royal Dutch Chess Federation). There were 722 players in 5 sections. Swiss Master did the pairings just fine (though one might prefer the "Haley" pairing system to either of the official FIDE systems, whose methods are written for computer analysts, not for TDs), though it did at the time have a couple of administrative glitches. First, it did not easily allow a player to be transferred between sections before the tournament. The player had to be entered (by hand) in one section, then erased from the other. Second, it did not produce crosstables as we in North America know them. A bit of programming and the output from two reports could be merged.

I can't verify if chess46 is freeware. The package I was able to locate don't have anything to indicate that there is a license to be obtained or a charge to be paid. There isn't any contact info, in the accompanying files or on the screen. DOS is not for everyone, though, in 2012.

My first live encounter with chess-results.com was at the 2004 Olympiad. Sitting in the Calvia internet room, I expected to be able to get results from the official website, but no, it was almost miraculously quick to access chess-results in Austria. Chess-results / Swiss Manager appears to be in the ascendant today.

Comment

Working...
              X