Chess: A Game or a Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess: A Game or a Sport

I am more than positive this topic has been discussed in depth, time and time again. It may have even been discussed on this forum before as well. However, as of late there has been much controversy as to whether chess is a sport or a game, and I'm curious to see how the Chesstalk community feels about this! I have seen and heard different opinions about the topic thrown around the internet, and I would like to see what Chesstalkers have to say about it! :D :D

Re: Chess: A Game or a Sport

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
    I am more than positive this topic has been discussed in depth, time and time again. It may have even been discussed on this forum before as well. However, as of late there has been much controversy as to whether chess is a sport or a game, and I'm curious to see how the Chesstalk community feels about this! I have seen and heard different opinions about the topic thrown around the internet, and I would like to see what Chesstalkers have to say about it! :D :D
    Chess is not a sport. Any definition of sport that I have seen involves a physical activity component.

For example

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Please don't say that you need to move pieces or press a clock. This is often done with chess, but in absolutely no way is it integral to playing the game.

You can play chess without any significant physical activity. For example playing blindfold chess. All you need is to be able to communicate.

It's a silly argument to make based on the definition of sport, and one that probably only comes up for fundraising and for getting the game into the Olympics and things like that. Chess is an intense mental competition, I don't see any reason to engage over debate about whether or not it is a sport. It clearly is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Haynes View Post
      Chess is not a sport. Any definition of sport that I have seen involves a physical activity component.

For example

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Please don't say that you need to move pieces or press a clock. This is often done with chess, but in absolutely no way is it integral to playing the game.

You can play chess without any significant physical activity. For example playing blindfold chess. All you need is to be able to communicate.

It's a silly argument to make based on the definition of sport, and one that probably only comes up for fundraising and for getting the game into the Olympics and things like that. Chess is an intense mental competition, I don't see any reason to engage over debate about whether or not it is a sport. It clearly is not.
      Nicolas, I agree with you on many levels. However, I would first like to clarify MY definition of sport:

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. An active pastime or recreation.

Since physical activity is the main obstacle in this question, I would like to leave it out until the end, and first discuss the other aspects of sport.

Is chess governed by as set of rules or customs? Yes! Chess has a large amount of rules that can often determine the result of a specific game. Not only does the game itself have rules, but things such as sportsmanship, and fair play come into effect as well.

Is chess engaged in competitively? Most definitely! Chess is played in most parts of the world, where tournaments taking place, offering players of all skill levels to enjoy the game of chess, and try to win against their opponent at the same time. Competition doesn't only have to be in tournaments either, it could simply be the getting together of two friends to see who is the better chess player! Thus, chess can be very competitive!

Chess has been played throughout the years, and can be considered a very active past time. I believe it will continue to develop in the future, for the game of chess is becoming more attractive for up-coming individuals. Things such as tactics and strategy, encourage people of all ages to put their brain to work. Just like in sports such as soccer and basketball, anticipation, and strategy is needed in order to be successful. As to whether chess is Recreational, i think it is pretty clear that chess can be very enjoyable for all ages!

Finally, the main obstacle of the question should be discussed, physical activity. It is quite clear that chess requires a VERY large amount of intellectual strength. What some people don't consider, is that physical strength can help intellectual strength! For example it has been proven that physical activity allows kids to not only focus for a longer period of time, but to be able to focus at a HIGHER level, during that time period. This can very easily be applied to chess. For example, in the last tournament I played in i found myself playing a 5 hour chess game! In order to be able to focus at the same level as in the opening, in the endgame, physical strength is needed in order to do so! I know of others that can't play a half an hour chess game, let alone a 5 hour chess game. It has also been proven that thinking can burn calories! Chess is one of the best thinking games in the world, so to me, this theory can easily be justified THROUGH chess.

With this being said, chess is not a competition of direct physical strength. However, it requires a lot of intellectual strength in which physical strength should be used! It is for this reason that I believe chess is a sport, and why I believe it is an argument that should be considered, and not disregarded!

I am curious to see other chesstalkers' opinions about this subject as well. :D

Comment

Chess is a game, quit fooling yourselves, it'll never be a sport.
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
          Chess is a game, quit fooling yourselves, it'll never be a sport.
          I love how you justified your proposal in great detail! ;) :D

Comment

Y.Seirawan told that after a tennis match he could go to a date, however after a chess game he had no energy left

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Y.Seirawan told that after a tennis match he could go to a date, however after a chess game he had no energy left
              Thanks Egis! A great example of how mental exhaustion can be worse than physical exhaustion. :D

Comment

This is a good topic for discussion. The question is not "game or sport" but "game and sport". It depends on individual goals and attitude.
                There were/are very strong GMs that have a 100% "game approach" to chess. Wasn't as recently as the '80s (relatively speaking) that they were smoking at the board? Talent, experience, and home preparation were/are strong weapons that made/make the difference and physical strength came a distant 7th on their "to do" list. Tal was sick and was still smoking and still strong enough to beat anybody in the world.

However, nowadays the margin for success is much smaller. At a certain level, home preparation, talent, and experience are not enough. While I have not seen any chess player doing push-ups or running around while his opponent mulls over, having a better physical condition after 5 hours of nerve-recking play is a definite advantage. But more often then not, a blunder is root caused to either "nerves" or lack of concentration rather then poor physical condition.

So, to make it a game AND a sport, goals and attitude is essential. A good reading material is Josh Waitzkin's book - The art of learning. As a chess prodigy and a world champion in martial arts, the author tackles the topic in details.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                  This is a good topic for discussion. The question is not "game or sport" but "game and sport". It depends on individual goals and attitude.
                  There were/are very strong GMs that have a 100% "game approach" to chess. Wasn't as recently as the '80s (relatively speaking) that they were smoking at the board? Talent, experience, and home preparation were/are strong weapons that made/make the difference and physical strength came a distant 7th on their "to do" list. Tal was sick and was still smoking and still strong enough to beat anybody in the world.

However, nowadays the margin for success is much smaller. At a certain level, home preparation, talent, and experience are not enough. While I have not seen any chess player doing push-ups or running around while his opponent mulls over, having a better physical condition after 5 hours of nerve-recking play is a definite advantage. But more often then not, a blunder is root caused to either "nerves" or lack of concentration rather then poor physical condition.

So, to make it a game AND a sport, goals and attitude is essential. A good reading material is Josh Waitzkin's book - The art of learning. As a chess prodigy and a world champion in martial arts, the author tackles the topic in details.
                  Terrific insight Laurentiu. Your post clearly demonstrates the Pros, and Cons of the argument, which re-states the fact that it is a great topic for discussion, especially on a chess forum! ;)

Comment

Chess doesn't meet the classic definition of a sport. This is pretty obvious, just read it a couple times. Chess will become a sport only if they change the definition by removing the word 'physical'. Hence arguing that chess is a sport is pointless.

Also, your argument made my day that crap made no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                      Nicolas, I agree with you on many levels. However, I would first like to clarify MY definition of sport:

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

2. An active pastime or recreation.

Since physical activity is the main obstacle in this question, I would like to leave it out until the end, and first discuss the other aspects of sport.

Is chess governed by as set of rules or customs? Yes! Chess has a large amount of rules that can often determine the result of a specific game. Not only does the game itself have rules, but things such as sportsmanship, and fair play come into effect as well.

Is chess engaged in competitively? Most definitely! Chess is played in most parts of the world, where tournaments taking place, offering players of all skill levels to enjoy the game of chess, and try to win against their opponent at the same time. Competition doesn't only have to be in tournaments either, it could simply be the getting together of two friends to see who is the better chess player! Thus, chess can be very competitive!

Chess has been played throughout the years, and can be considered a very active past time. I believe it will continue to develop in the future, for the game of chess is becoming more attractive for up-coming individuals. Things such as tactics and strategy, encourage people of all ages to put their brain to work. Just like in sports such as soccer and basketball, anticipation, and strategy is needed in order to be successful. As to whether chess is Recreational, i think it is pretty clear that chess can be very enjoyable for all ages!

Finally, the main obstacle of the question should be discussed, physical activity. It is quite clear that chess requires a VERY large amount of intellectual strength. What some people don't consider, is that physical strength can help intellectual strength! For example it has been proven that physical activity allows kids to not only focus for a longer period of time, but to be able to focus at a HIGHER level, during that time period. This can very easily be applied to chess. For example, in the last tournament I played in i found myself playing a 5 hour chess game! In order to be able to focus at the same level as in the opening, in the endgame, physical strength is needed in order to do so! I know of others that can't play a half an hour chess game, let alone a 5 hour chess game. It has also been proven that thinking can burn calories! Chess is one of the best thinking games in the world, so to me, this theory can easily be justified THROUGH chess.

With this being said, chess is not a competition of direct physical strength. However, it requires a lot of intellectual strength in which physical strength should be used! It is for this reason that I believe chess is a sport, and why I believe it is an argument that should be considered, and not disregarded!

I am curious to see other chesstalkers' opinions about this subject as well. :D
                      Your argument makes no sense. Chess is not a physical activity, it is a mental one. I am well aware that tournament chess requires endurance in order to play, but it is mental endurance, not physical endurance. You're not running laps around a gym, you are sitting at a table thinking.

You state

"With this being said, chess is not a competition of direct physical strength. However, it requires a lot of intellectual strength in which physical strength should be used!"

That makes absolutely no sense. What are you going to do, challenge your opponent to an arm-wrestling contest when things go sideways on the board?

Like I said, the only strictly necessary qualities in order to play chess are a certain amount of mental power and the ability to communicate. That is very literally it. You don't need to be able to be physically strong, have good endurance or really use any physical attributes in any significant manner. I am well aware that there is likely a correlation between performance at tournament chess and endurance, however in no way is endurance integral to play the game. It might help, but you don't need it, it is not a requirement to play.

Why do people feel the need to justify chess as a sport? It's a great game. this whole debate is ludicrous and is ignoring the literal definition of the word sport.

Comment

Chess is a game which happens also to be a sport.

Comment

When competitions or tournaments are involved chess becomes a sport not only a game of leisure time.

It might sound weird but chess is pushed into Winter Olympics. One of the reasons is that Winter games are not so numerous in participants. :D The democracy rules especially with FIDE ;)

Comment

My favorite quote from Nicolas Haynes' last post :

Why do people feel the need to justify chess as a sport?
                            Even though I am not very good at it, I love so much about chess, it is so much part of the fabric of my life, but how the heck can I call it a sport?! Even if the definition of the word "sport" were changed, there is simply not enough physical requirement. Seriously, when was the last time any of us had to battle through physical pain from a chess injury? When was the last time we had to conquer our fears of being literally knocked out before trying a gambit? When was the last time you heard of a chess player who had to retire before reaching senior years, just because of physical wear and tear on his body? When was the last time you had to stretch out the pain after playing chess, and then shower?!

Why do people feel the need to justify chess as a sport?

Comment

It seems to me to be a question of semantics. We could offer up a very loose, liberal definition of the term sport which would allow for chess to be included, or we could offer a stricter definition of the term which would exclude chess.

Comment

Working...
                              X