Chessbase App for android phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessbase App for android phones

Does anybody have this app? I believe that it is relatively new (there was an iPhone one out first). I've heard that the iPhone app is not very good, however in general I like Chessbase databases. CB light is a solid product, especially for free.

I'm interested to know if the app is worth the 5.99. Currently I use Scid on the go and it is decent, although not exactly overburdened with features. I just like to look at current games when on the go. Somewhat surprisingly SCID does not have a computer analysis option

On a side note, The ICC App is pretty terrible.

Re: Chessbase App for android phones

Originally posted by Nicolas Haynes View Post
    Somewhat surprisingly SCID does not have a computer analysis option
    It has.
    While Scid is fast to browse games, it was nightmare to enter the game. Your mentioned ICC app works like a charm to enter games.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 10th February, 2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Does anybody have this app? .

The one for my Ipod is Chessbase online. It costs 4.99. I guess they didn't get the memo that I live in the world of "free". :)
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I can confirm that the iPhone / iPad app is not very good and somewhat disappointing but I suppose better than nothing for database access.

I presume the Android app is more or less the same thing ported to that OS.

Comment

Droid Fish Is Very Good

Database
          Variations
          Stockfish

FREE FREE FREE :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            It has.
            While Scid is fast to browse games, it was nightmare to enter the game. Your mentioned ICC app works like a charm to enter games.
            I stand corrected, I wasn't aware of this. I have never tried to enter a game on SCID.

A comment on the chessbase app at the chessbase website indicates that it does not have an engine.

Comment

I use scid too and ICC app, i think they're both awesome. I love going through a couple games while on the bus or in class and I even beat someone on ICC through their app. I'm not so sure the chessbase app would be that much of an improvement over scid. While there's few choices, scid is simple, to the point and its a perfect tool to use for 10-15 minutes. If I want to properly analyze a game, I'd just open up my laptop and analyze from there. I think chessbase is just trying to use its name to sell and I'm never a fan of buying something just for the brand.
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
                Droid Fish Is Very Good

Database
                Variations
                Stockfish

FREE FREE FREE :)
                I tried DroidFish and it's a very strong chess-playing program but quickly eats up my power. I haven't found any databases or problems, how to set up positions. I prefer to play the beatable (Aart's) Chess for Android for a laugh, to kill 5 minutes while on the subway.

I enjoy a general news page app which lists chess articles.

Comment

I

A comment on the chessbase app at the chessbase website indicates that it does not have an engine.
                  no it does not. But I wouldn't really expect one. More interested in the online database aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    I tried DroidFish and it's a very strong chess-playing program but quickly eats up my power. I haven't found any databases or problems
                    With Scid it is possible to import TWICs and look through games, search by any PGN criteria or positions. That how I kill commute.

The ICC app has problems, though quite tough. You don't need the ICC account to use it.

Comment

Has anyone had much luck installing chessbase 9 or deep fritz 8 to an OS X Lion on an iMac? Apple has its own engine that returns but does not seem to import Pgn and am not certain whether those discs have a Mac UCI build for the library, engine or tablebases (not sure of how smart it would be to install the opening books or ending libraries to an external drive if they are being used a lot). The processor is single, with 4 cores of the intel i5. Are there workarounds to not resorting to partitioning a small space for a microwine or windows partition? I'm not sure whether parallels or VMware would be a better way to control a hypervisor instance running as a simulated mode. Is there also a rybka/aquarium build for Mac that would run uci engines?
                      Last edited by Kai G. Gauer; Sunday, 12th February, 2012, 08:23 AM. Reason: Hit send too early

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                        I use scid too and ICC app, i think they're both awesome. I love going through a couple games while on the bus or in class and I even beat someone on ICC through their app. I'm not so sure the chessbase app would be that much of an improvement over scid. While there's few choices, scid is simple, to the point and its a perfect tool to use for 10-15 minutes. If I want to properly analyze a game, I'd just open up my laptop and analyze from there. I think chessbase is just trying to use its name to sell and I'm never a fan of buying something just for the brand.
                        I do this too, mostly just looking at games though. I found with the ICC app that I was horribly clumsy and slow with the interface. Playing blitz was more or less impossible because I was so slow, always getting flagged. Another issue I had was getting disconnected while playing. This is probably an issue with the cellphone provider, but there is nothing more annoying then getting disconnected in the middle of the game.

I also can't figure out how to go back over the previous moves of a game that is ongoing on the ICC app or if you can listen to Chess.FM for live coverage of tournaments.

Comment

I do this too, mostly just looking at games though. I found with the ICC app that I was horribly clumsy and slow with the interface. Playing blitz was more or less impossible because I was so slow, always getting flagged. Another issue I had was getting disconnected while playing. This is probably an issue with the cellphone provider, but there is nothing more annoying then getting disconnected in the middle of the game.

I also can't figure out how to go back over the previous moves of a game that is ongoing on the ICC app or if you can listen to Chess.FM for live coverage of tournaments.
                          Lol, I don't think you can do that on the phone, I use the app mostly for viewing games and I only got it cause it was a free app. I agree that the disconnection is really annoying and that it's very clumsy, but when they offer something for free, it's hard to complain. I'm just hoping that eventually they improve it but I've kinda given up the idea of playing blitz on my phone. The flagging part is the worst...
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                          X