Is Chess and Math rating adult events now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Chess and Math rating adult events now?

I noticed that adults tournaments are included in Chess and Math now. Are adults allowed to be rated in this program now?

Re: Is Chess and Math rating adult events now?

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    I noticed that adults tournaments are included in Chess and Math now. Are adults allowed to be rated in this program now?
    Hi Vlad,

Adults have always been allowed to be rated within the CMA system however, our focus remains the kids. Because our system is based on school grade and in order to keep the adult stuff separate from the kids, we put the adults in grade 14 :).

We do not actively promote this service (in fact there is no mention of it on our website) as it is not our mission nor do we want to ruffle feathers for what represents less than 1% of our activities and revenues.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      Hi Vlad,

Adults have always been allowed to be rated within the CMA system however, our focus remains the kids. Because our system is based on school grade and in order to keep the adult stuff separate from the kids, we put the adults in grade 14 :).

We do not actively promote this service (in fact there is no mention of it on our website) as it is not our mission nor do we want to ruffle feathers for what represents less than 1% of our activities and revenues.

Larry
      Thank you for the reply. I just wasn't aware that it was allowed.

Vlad

Comment

If adults are grade 14, who is in grades 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20?
        Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Just wondering.
          At the end of August the system automatically increases everyones grade by 1...maybe that applies to grade 14 also...would make sense to me...I will ask on Monday :)

I believe when they go to grade 13, they are flushed from the system hence the reason we have the gap from 12 to 14...and you know what they say about the number 13 anyway :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Just wondering.
            in the Washington State online registration system (which I guess was done for the scholastic crowd), adults are only grade 13. Mature faster on the west coast I guess.....

just saying.

ps. probably Larry doesn't remember the real reason which was probably because Ontario went to grade 13 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              in the Washington State online registration system (which I guess was done for the scholastic crowd), adults are only grade 13. Mature faster on the west coast I guess.....

just saying.

ps. probably Larry doesn't remember the real reason which was probably because Ontario went to grade 13 at the time.
              I have a feeling that Larry is quite aware of Grade 13 in Ontario, Roger! If I recall correctly, the CEGEP system in Quebec is the equivalent of Grades 12 and 13 in the rest of the country. But if you're going to run a scholastic program for all of Canada, it's going to be 1-12 or K-12.

My brother went straight from Grade 11 to University, which I think was the normal thing to do at the time in Manitoba. Ancient history now, though.

I wonder what happens to the numbers of students who achieve advanced placement (e.g., skip a grade) or even, gasp, get held back a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

My brother went straight from Grade 11 to University, which I think was the normal thing to do at the time in Manitoba. Ancient history now, though.

I wonder what happens to the numbers of students who achieve advanced placement (e.g., skip a grade) or even, gasp, get held back a year.
                I forget. With grade 12 did a student go to second year university?

I think with Ontario they got rid of grade 13 so the money could go into kindergarden and junior kindergarden. It helps with the daycare problem.
                Last edited by Gary Ruben; Tuesday, 21st February, 2012, 11:26 AM.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X