Clear All

• Cap d'Agde 2008

Final:

Hikaru Nakamura(2704) (semi-CAN :D
    Vassily Ivanchuk (2786)

Results

Re: Cap d'Agde 2008

This was an active tournament.

A Canadian there was Tournament Director Stephen Boyd.

I saw him in Miscellaneous photo/file 26 of 31.

http://74.125.93.104/translate_c?hl=...UjfpH_BM1oG2-A

French site
    http://www.capechecs.com/index.php
    English site
    http://translate.google.fr/translate....com/index.php
    Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Saturday, 1st November, 2008, 02:05 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes!

Comment

Congratulations with a win.

This equal position

transformed to the more preferable for White

After 45. e5+! fixing a e6-pawn a weakness White is winning.

Final - Black resigned

1-0

The whole game as pgn

[Event "Cap d'Agde Final"]
        [Site "Cap d'Agde"]
        [Date "2008.11.01"]
        [Round "2"]
        [White "Nakamura, Hikaru"]
        [Black "Ivanchuk, Vassily"]
        [Result "1-0"]
        [ECO "E15"]
        [WhiteElo "2704"]
        [BlackElo "2786"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 b6 4. g3 Ba6 5. Qc2 Bb4+ 6. Bd2 Be7 7. Bg2 O-O 8. O-O c6 9. Bf4 d5 10. Nbd2 Nbd7 11. Rfc1 c5 12. Qa4 Bb7 13. Ne5 cxd4 14. cxd5 Nxe5 15. Bxe5 Bxd5 16. Qxd4 Bc5 17. Bxf6 Bxd4 18. Bxd8 Rfxd8 19. Bxd5 Rxd5 20. Rc2 Rad8 21. Rac1 h6 22. Nf3 Bf6 23. e4 R5d7 24. b3 g5 25. h3 Kg7 26. Kf1 Bd4 27. b4 Bf6 28. Ke2 h5 29. g4 hxg4 30. hxg4 Be7 31. a3 a5 32. bxa5 bxa5 33. a4 Bd6 34. Rd1 Be7 35. Rxd7 Rxd7 36. Ne5 Rd4 37. Rc4 Rxc4 38. Nxc4 Bb4 39. Ne5 Bc3 40. Nc6 f5 41. Kd3 Be1 42. f3 Kf6 43. Kc4 fxe4 44. fxe4 Bd2 45. e5+ Kf7 46. Kc5 Ke8 47. Kd6 Kf7 48. Nd8+ Ke8 49. Nxe6 Bb4+ 50. Kd5 Bd2 51. Ke4 Ke7 52. Kf5 1-0

Comment

Congratulations to Hikaru for winning this impressive tournament, defeating in the final matches a World Champion (Karpov) and a great genius (Ivanchuk). He won both matches in "regular time" (Active chess), not needing his amazing skills at 0-5 minute chess.

Comment

Actually, Jonathan, I beat Karpov in the blitz tiebreaks which were 3+2 not 5+0. Thanks though for the positivity. It is nice to know that there are people in Canada who actually do care and show some respect for my results, when everyone else just makes excuses saying Ivanchuk played badly.

Comment

Denial is a product of awe. Your awesome endgame technique must have left your critics awestruck and incapable of comprehensible criticism!

Comment

Congratulations Hikaru! Not sure why there are so many haters...your match against Ivanchuk was very Smyslov-esque :) Thanks for the entertaining chess

Comment

Hikaru,

I'm with Lawrence. Ivanchuk may have "played badly", but so did Anand and Kramnik at times in their slower match, with all the pre-game help that could be mustered. Fact is, you outplayed one of the greatest opponents in chess history. The possibility that a lot of us (including this humble observer, who is not a Bishop fetishist) would have preferred Black in the first diagram above makes the victory more meaningful. You won by outplaying him, not by opening prep or some "accident". Congratulations!

Sorry about the Karpov confusion, I should have looked before writing (always!). You did defeat Karpov in Round 7 of the prelims, with Black, at the slower (active) time control.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                    Actually, Jonathan, I beat Karpov in the blitz tiebreaks which were 3+2 not 5+0. Thanks though for the positivity. It is nice to know that there are people in Canada who actually do care and show some respect for my results, when everyone else just makes excuses saying Ivanchuk played badly.
                    Perhaps next time Ivanchuk will attempt to play better. :)

A number of years ago when I wrote on the correspondence message board when I won a game they used to joke the player had joined my club. It had to do with a alias I used. Nobody wanted to lose to me and join my club and so they played very carefully and many draws were the result. When I win a game and the opponent comments he didn't play well for some reason he has joined my club.

Many years ago Vera Menchik had a club. She was a famous woman player and a womens world champion many times. Max Euwe joined her club twice. Other well known players such as Samuel Reshevsky lost to her as well.

Keep up the good play!
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I was utterly aghast at the way Nakamura managed to whip up a win from an ending that I had thought was a draw 15 moves earlier. I guess that's why he's the GM and I'm not even close. I'm still not sure why the ending is winning for white, and even if I did, I would not know how to go about winning it.

Comment

The ending is probably not winning, but I have seen Carlsen and Kramnik win plenty of such endings which seem pointless as well. If I had to guess though, the key mistake was playing g5 followed by h5 which allowed me to fix the pawn with h3,g4.

Comment

Working...
                        X