Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budapest Chess News March 2012

[This issue has just been emailed out]

The big news is I managed to win a small open clear with 6/7 which was welcome news after the relative disaster in January at the Perenyi Memorial.

Included in this issue
    820 games, 211 annotated. Almasi, Polgar, Erdos, Rapport and Prohaszka played in the Gibraltar Tradewise Open where Short eventually won overall first. Most of the annotated games feature the white repertoires of Almasi,Z and Gyimesi,Z. In the theory section, Grunfeld games from TWIC 896-899 are checked and conclusions drawn.

Hungarian News
    -Siralyi Open February 17-19(I won with 6/7. All my games are annotated for this issue.)
    -Budapest Team Ch
    I made a couple of draws and a loss for Rakosliget in division 2 play and managed a some wins for Siralyi in division 4 play.

International News
    -Aeroflot Open(Balogh, Csaba 5/9.)
    -Gibraltar Open
    Veteran Nigel Short won with 8/10 after tying Hou Yifan and winning the tiebreak match. Almasi and Polgar finished with 7/10 while Erdos was part of a large group with 6.5.

Theory
    -Grunfeld games from TWIC 896-899
    White has shown no threatening ideas against the Grunfeld and most wins have been in mismatches. Black has scored excellently in the exchange variation while Avrukh's g3-10.Re1 has hit a brick wall(10...a5=).

Player Profiles-Almasi,Z with white 1.e4
    -Gyimesi,Z with white 1.d4
    Almasi is a high profile player with an aggressive attacking style with a sound positional foundation, This profile shows he is also a fabulous endgame player too. Gyimesi is not so well known outside of europe but is a strong endgame player amongst other things.

-SDSE Sports Club http://www.sarkanydse.hu/index.php/c...est-chess-news

Thanks to these sites for hosting the files, and TWIC for supplying games and tournament information.

Re: First Saturday March 2012 and other news

Hungary based FM Erik Kisklik(USA) won the CAISSA GM RR with +3. Erik has been living in Budapest and other Hungarian cities since I arrived in 2009 and will have his IM title confirmed soon.

First Saturday started today
    -GM group 6 player double round robin(GMs 2493,2440 and 2536)
    -IM group 11 players(IMs 2445,2305,2208,2296,2249,2257)
    -FM-A group 11 players (including 2 unrated and a 1735)

There were no foreign visitors in the low group (one Greek player who lives in Budapest) and no Canadians.
    [Warning-in non norm tournaments, foreign visitors get gouged with the tourist prices by 3.5-4X the rate for locals. Please beware if you are planning to come here. Also FS offers no cash prizes for any group, the organizer gets 100%]

Comment

Re: BCN March 2012 Now on Spraggett's blog

Many thanks to Kevin for hosting the issue on his blog and the generous writeup(with pics).

Comment

Re: BCN March 2012 Spraggett's blog-Left Menu

Kevins' blog left menu will be updated soon for the March issue-sorry for the delay

Comment

Working...
        X