The Caro-Kann-Lakdawala and other book news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Caro-Kann-Lakdawala and other book news

The Caro-Kann by IM Cyrus Lakdawala(432pp Everyman 2012)
    Lakdawala has done another great job in another book in the Move-by-Move series. There are 52 well annotated games(including training questions). Coverage also includes 3.f3 Fantasy line where 3...Qb6 is the repertoire recommendation. The suggested reperoire is 4...Nd7(B17) as opposed to the currently fashionable 4...Bf5 in the main line. I'm hoping to re-add the Caro-Kann back to my repertoire soon.

5/5 stars.

The Petroff:An Expert repertoire for black-GM Sakaev(290pp Chess Stars 2011)
    The opening my come across as boring but the book is very interesting and the analysis is deep. A complete repertoire is given based on 1...e5 and the Petroff. All move 2 deviations by white into other openings like King's Gambit are given. There are 21 lightly annotated games to illustrate the authors points. Meant for higher level players. I was hoping for more games though.

4/5 stars.

I gave a couple of books featuring 1...d6 a go as this opening is featuring more prominently in my repertoire.

The Modern Philidor-IM Barsky(224pp-Chess Stars 2010)Includes 50 annotated games. Coverage in terms of theory is a bit disappointing. The depth is suitable to around 2000-2100 level but I was happy with the number of illustrative games. The book just arrived so still going through it. The book is nothing really special so far.

2.5/5 stars

The Modern Philidor-IM Barsky(224pp-Chess Stars 2010)
    Includes 56 annotated games. I haven't looked at this book much yet. I was hoping for some coverage of the Old Indian but this is not the case. The Wade variation 2.Nf3 Bg4 is covered though.

unrated
Working...
X