Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miniatures and TCN

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    I have a teaching book that never got published with mostly miniatures in it (though very few Canadian) which is being published game by game in Bob Armstrong's Canadian Chess newsletter (comes out every two weeks).
    Hi Hans:

If I might make it a bit clearer - my Canadian chess newsletter publication is the Toronto Chess News (TCN) : www.TorontoChessNews.com . (Canadian Chess News (CCN) is the CFC newsletter). TCN is a national publication, but we are expanding coverage somewhat incrementally.

And I'd like to say how pleased we are Hans agreed to be a volunteer full-time columnist for TCN, and to present his book materials on a regular basis, Issue by Issue.

TCN is free - to subscribe - canadianchessconsultingservice@gmail.com .

Bob A, TCN Editor

Comment

Re: Interesting chessbooks

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      The (novice-suitable!?) opening repertoire (with examples, including from the Soviet miniatures book) that I had been thinking of
      White:
      1.e4 with Italian Game or 1...e5 2.Nf3 intending 3.Nc3, plus Closed Sicilian (treatments against other 1.e4 defences could be added later)
      AND
      King's Indian Attack vs. just about anything

Black:
      vs.1.e4:
      1...e5 intending Steinitz Deferred Lopez/2 Kts Defence
      AND
      O'Kelly Sicilian (2.Nf3 a6)

vs.1.d4 (or common flank opening moves):
      King's Indian Defence
      AND
      Classical Dutch (i.e. with ...e6 and ...d6 included)
      Note that in the 100 Soviet miniatures book refered to, there is at least one win for the side I am suggesting an opening be used (except for Classical Dutch, which only has 1 win, but where Black, instead of Classical setup, was allowed to play an early ...Bb4 pin that I'd recommend doing). In case of White in the Italian Game there is an Evans Gambit win, and (after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3) there is a win in a Three Kts Game plus a draw in the position reached after 3...Nf6 4.d4.

[edit: I gave the Italian and 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 intending 3.Nc3 as two White choices (instead of just 1 choice) the student might have against 1.e4 e5 since it is so popular, especially at lower levels]
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 16th April, 2013, 03:12 PM. Reason: Correcting last sentence info
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

The book that has impressed me the most in recent times is Chess on the Edge by Bruce Harper. It is impossible to read this book and NOT acquire a much deeper understanding of chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          The book that has impressed me the most in recent times is Chess on the Edge by Bruce Harper. It is impossible to read this book and NOT acquire a much deeper understanding of chess.
          I'm a bit puzzled. If I remember right, this is a 3 volume set. I recall looking at the notes for some of the games in one book of this set, and while I can't recall them as being very substantial, Canadian GM Suttles' play (the primary subject of the 3 books) itself was indeed deep on many occasions, I would imagine. That is, having played through at least some of his games (obtained from other sources) at other times in the past.

[edit: It appears my memory about there being 3 volumes was correct, at least:

http://www.suttlesbook.com/

]
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 18th April, 2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I think you'll find that, in most sports, the best coaches/instructors are (or were) competent in their sports, but usually not among the top twenty or so. There are of course exceptions- in golf, greats like Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan also had reputations as great teachers of the game (via books and film). On the other hand, many of the great swing coaches of today were never even PGA touring pros. Is chess different, in that you have to be a stronger player than your student in order to be an effective teacher?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
              I think you'll find that, in most sports, the best coaches/instructors are (or were) competent in their sports, but usually not among the top twenty or so. There are of course exceptions- in golf, greats like Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan also had reputations as great teachers of the game (via books and film). On the other hand, many of the great swing coaches of today were never even PGA touring pros. Is chess different, in that you have to be a stronger player than your student in order to be an effective teacher?
              Afaik most/all chess world champions wrote books on chess that arguably are instructional/instructive, at least, though the level of their target audience may vary. Not sure if that's common for sports like golf.

Kasparov recently personally mentored Carlsen for a short time, though Magnus is obviously no amateur/novice.

[edit: afaik, in chess a coach/trainer can be at least slightly weaker than his student, and still be effective. Take Furman as Karpov's trainer, for example (though Furman possibly might have been stronger with White than Karpov when they teamed up).]
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 18th April, 2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X