Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU Dress Code (?!)

From Chessbase.com

...new ECU Dress Code regulations apply. They are quite specific: regarding décolletés (in the US "cleavage")

The 2012 European Individual Women Chess Championship in Gaziantep became the first tournament where the ECU Regulations on Dress Code became available. Here are excerpts:

13.2 Dress rules for the players during the games
    In general, players are required to follow the code of casual dressing which means:

•for men dress trousers or jeans, a long-sleeve or shirt-sleeve dress shirt, alternatively T-shirt or polo, loafers or dressy slip-ons, socks, shoes or sneakers (no beach-wear slips, etc.) and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer. The trousers, the jeans as well as the shirts and polo’s worn should be crisp and show no excessive wear, no holes and shall be free of body odor.
    •for women blouses, turtleneck, T-shirts or polo’s, trousers, jeans or slacks, skirts, dresses, and appropriate footwear (boots, flats, mid-heel or high-heel shoes, sneakers with sock) or any other appropriate clothing modification.
    •a jacket, vest or sweater, a scarf, as well as jewelry (earrings, necklace, etc.) coordinated to the outfit may be worn.
    •the pieces of the clothing should be crisp, show no excessive wear, no holes and shall be free of body odor.
    •in respect to shirts, the second from the top button may also be opened in addition to the very top button.
    •sunglasses, glasses, neck ties can be worn during the games, no caps or hats, except for religious reasons.
    •in general, this category of appearance demands a pulled-together, harmonious, complete look with colors, fabrics, shoes, and accessories, for both men and women.
    •national costumes which fit into the generally accepted dress code and are not offensive or indecent to others can be worn

I thought this was rather amusing...the anti-cleavage rule. No rule on where the 2nd button is?? Call the fashion police.

Re: ECU Dress Code (?!)

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
    From Chessbase.com

...new ECU Dress Code regulations apply. They are quite specific: regarding décolletés (in the US "cleavage")

The 2012 European Individual Women Chess Championship in Gaziantep became the first tournament where the ECU Regulations on Dress Code became available. Here are excerpts:

13.2 Dress rules for the players during the games
    In general, players are required to follow the code of casual dressing which means:

•for men dress trousers or jeans, a long-sleeve or shirt-sleeve dress shirt, alternatively T-shirt or polo, loafers or dressy slip-ons, socks, shoes or sneakers (no beach-wear slips, etc.) and, if appropriate, a sport coat or blazer. The trousers, the jeans as well as the shirts and polo’s worn should be crisp and show no excessive wear, no holes and shall be free of body odor.
    •for women blouses, turtleneck, T-shirts or polo’s, trousers, jeans or slacks, skirts, dresses, and appropriate footwear (boots, flats, mid-heel or high-heel shoes, sneakers with sock) or any other appropriate clothing modification.
    •a jacket, vest or sweater, a scarf, as well as jewelry (earrings, necklace, etc.) coordinated to the outfit may be worn.
    •the pieces of the clothing should be crisp, show no excessive wear, no holes and shall be free of body odor.
    •in respect to shirts, the second from the top button may also be opened in addition to the very top button.
    •sunglasses, glasses, neck ties can be worn during the games, no caps or hats, except for religious reasons.
    •in general, this category of appearance demands a pulled-together, harmonious, complete look with colors, fabrics, shoes, and accessories, for both men and women.
    •national costumes which fit into the generally accepted dress code and are not offensive or indecent to others can be worn

I thought this was rather amusing...the anti-cleavage rule. No rule on where the 2nd button is?? Call the fashion police.
    I personally LOVE the "free of body odour" statement... at the last Canadian Open, I nearly gagged when I went one evening to observe the round (yes, it was summer and apparently the air-conditioning at the Westin was not up to the task). To be fair, there is no amount of air conditioning that can reverse severe sweat odour that was acquired prior to entry ...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

You must've been hanging out with the wrong crowd ;)
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Personally I generally don't wear a suit and tie, but if it were required at chess tournaments and clubs it might greatly help raise the profile of the game, i.e. possibly attract more sponsors (an excellent dress code may have worked for televised snooker in the UK). I seem to recall this issue has been debated on chesstalk before, however.

[edit: here's a link to one such dress code thread:
        http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...ght=Dress+Code ]

Speaking of body odour offenses, one foreign GM came to Ottawa for his first and only time during the 2007 Canadian Open. No air conditioning issues I can remember. I couldn't help but notice he just reeked every day, every time I happened to be within twenty feet or less of him. Luckily(?) I seldom was on a high enough numbered board to be constantly aware.
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 9th March, 2012, 09:07 PM.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Pogonina, Polgar, Shahade all tweeting about this. They're more focussed on the cleavage issue than the b.o. issue that chesstalkers are onto.
          Marcus Wilker
          Annex Chess Club
          Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
          X