Cheap strong portable chess player - solution found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap strong portable chess player - solution found!

Last week I picked up a pocket PC (to be specific an HP iPAQ rz1710) off Ebay for $34.99 USD plus $20 USD shipping and handling.

I then downloaded PocketGrandmaster for it, and after evaluating it I registered it for another $25USD.

The result? For a total of $80USD = $100CAD, I now have a handheld computer chess program that can whup me at any time, can download and analyze PGN libraries, and test me with test libraries.

For those wanting a cheaper system, I could have saved another $25 by using CEBoard instead of Pocketgrandmaster, and had a program almost as good.

Added bonus? The unit comes with an output speaker, headphone jack, and windows media player. With the addition of a 2GB SD card that I had from a digitial camera, I now have a MP3 player that does audio and video, an ebook reader, etc, etc.

All in all, pretty sweet.:D

Extra Info

I found this site incredibly useful for finding the best Pocket PC Chess game. The info is getting a wee bit dated, but it's still a great resource.

Chess Programs for Pocket PCs and Palm Devices

Comment

Re: Cheap strong portable chess player - solution found!

Has anyone found a good ches program for the iPhone?

Comment

Question: Where are there some good PGN libraries?

Ok, now that I have a portable trainer, I'm now looking for a set of chess tactics or endgame exercises, in PGN format, to study while on the go. Any resources?

Comment

Re: Question: Where are there some good PGN libraries?

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          a set of chess tactics or endgame exercises, in PGN format, to study while on the go. Any resources?
          Long time ago (5 and more years) I have found Ossimitz (person?) chess tactics collection. However, my bookmarked links does not work anymore. Archive.org could not retrieve files as well. I may have copies somewhere on DVDs but last time I checked them they did not like to read

Comment

Working...
          X