survey on 2009 Ontario Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• survey on 2009 Ontario Open

Hi there, the EOCA is hosting the 2009 Ontario Open, over the traditional dates of the Victoria Day long weekend, near the end of May 2009. We have secured the playing facilities for 3-3.5 days, and as Organizer/TD, I am wondering what format most players, especially those travelling far, would prefer. Please answer the poll (I hope I've figured out how to include it), and/or feel free to reply with text feedback in this dedicated thread.

Please note that the times below are tentative and approximate. Thanks and regards, Aris.

Option 1
    - 6 rounds in total
    - 1pm and 6pm on Saturday (facilitating incoming travellers)
    - 11am and 4pm on Sunday
    - 9am and 2pm on Monday (facilitating outgoing travellers)

Option 2
    - 7 rounds in total
    - similar to Option 1, but add a round on Friday at 7pm

Option 3
    - 6 rounds in total
    - similar to option 2, but have only 1 round on Monday

Option 4
    - 5 rounds in total
    - similar to option 1, but have only 1 round on Monday
    0 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 6
    29.41%
    1 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 7
    29.41%
    1 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 6
    17.65%
    0 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 5
    23.53%

Re: survey on 2009 Ontario Open

Hi Aris,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to play or not, but I can hopefully make this my "school's-done-back-from-retirement-again" tournament.

I think Option 1 is the best of those presented, however in my own experience from running events people vastly prefer having a routine... different round times on all three days could be annoying to some perhaps?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      Hi Aris,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to play or not, but I can hopefully make this my "school's-done-back-from-retirement-again" tournament.

I think Option 1 is the best of those presented, however in my own experience from running events people vastly prefer having a routine... different round times on all three days could be annoying to some perhaps?
      I hear what you're saying, but travellers really like starting later on the first day, and ending earlier on the last day, as it saves them 1 or 2 nights of hotel, vacation day, etc.

I have been doing 7pm-1pm-6pm-9am-2pm for a while now, and the compliments (a bit to my surprise) have far outweighed the complaints. Thanks though for the feedback.

Comment

Hi Aris
        I like Option2 .
        Start early on Sat Morning or Sunday Morning aas we have arrived Friday Night anyway and we are already there and start Monday early and that way we can be home by Midnight.
        It saves us an extra night in the Hotel on Monday.
        I think a Suinday early start would be best . That way locals can get a bit of a rest on Friday night.

Comment

Sorry I meant Option 3 Rounds with 3 on Saturday or Sunday I Rd on Monday. 7 Rounds means too many hotel stays.
          Sorry for the confusion to everyone reading my earlier post.post.

Comment

I like the idea of 6 rounds and the option of 2 rounds on Saturday, Sunday and Monday is my favourite. However, it would depend on what the time controls are? If they are faster ones, then 2 rounds on Saturday, 3 rounds on Sunday and 1 on Monday so that those from out of town can go home early. I know some people don't like 3 rounds in a day, but I don't mind them. I am planning to play in this Ontario Open. If you decide to put one round on Friday, then I will definitely take a bye for that round.

John Erickson

Comment

Hi Aris:

If I was to play, I would probably come down Friday and stay over. I would not want to get up early here in Toronto on Saturday morning, then drive 5 hours to Ottawa, and then have to play 2 games on Saturday. Also, I do not mind getting home late on Sunday night/ early Monday morning. So I am OK with 2 rounds on the Sunday. I figure if I'm setting aside the weekend for chess, I might as well get in as many games as I can.

So I therefore like option # 2, with the 7 games, starting Friday night ( If I'm coming down Friday anyway, I might as well play a tournament game Friday night - I'd get there early enough on Friday, to have a few hours break after driving, before the start of the game ).

Bob

Comment

I would be happy have with this format:

Friday 1 round
                Saturday 2 r.
                Sunday 2 r.
                Monday 2 r.

And now goes the improvement for option 2 :D
                A possibility to play the first round for travelers (not only) at early Saturday morning. It may be with faster time control (this may contradict if the event is FIDE rated) Bye is good but point is better :p

Comment

Hello Aris.

If I was already in Ottawa, I'd probably prefer Option 1, 0-2-2-2. But since I have to commute from Toronto, I voted for Option 2 (1-2-2-2) for two reasons:

More Chess ! Also odd # of rounds probably makes pairing-making easier.
                  To avoid hotel Friday night I'd have to go awfully early and probably collapse in the evening round (on Saturday). So I rather go Friday night regardless of there being a Friday round.

Having said that, Options 1-2-3 are all good. Returning home by midnight or 2am won't bother me at all. See you in the Spring ;-)

Alex F.

Comment

Working...
                  X