CCN in book form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCN in book form

About six months ago it seemed that the CFC had finally decided (more or less) to go ahead with the idea of publishing a yearly CCN (Canadian Chess News) in book form. Now I am curious about the status of that project. Has it been shelved like the club team competition that had been announced as "all figured out" ?

Re: CCN in book form

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    About six months ago it seemed that the CFC had finally decided (more or less) to go ahead with the idea of publishing a yearly CCN (Canadian Chess News) in book form. Now I am curious about the status of that project. Has it been shelved like the club team competition that had been announced as "all figured out" ?
    The 2010 yearbook is available for sale, just visit the CFC website. It is a great book, but the marketing effort is wanting!

Comment

I've spent my free time the last couple of weeks looking over the book. I will have a review in a week or so. Some things I really liked about it ... others not so much.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        The 2010 yearbook is available for sale, just visit the CFC website. It is a great book, but the marketing effort is wanting!
        I am glad I asked then. I would be happy to review it in HPE if I happen to get a copy somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          I am glad I asked then. I would be happy to review it in HPE if I happen to get a copy somehow.
          Well, you could actually buy one! :D

Comment

The CFC could actually give Jean one to get the publicity of a review.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              The CFC could actually give Jean one to get the publicity of a review.
              As you know, the budget is tight. I am certain, both you and Jean, will be pleased to help support chess in Canada by purchasing a yearbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                As you know, the budget is tight. I am certain, both you and Jean, will be pleased to help support chess in Canada by purchasing a yearbook.
                Good old Bob at his best! He has never heard of a concept called "exchange of services". But he complains that "the marketing effort is wanting!"

Comment

I have a copy which I purchased, Bob. Do you suggest I have it couriered to Jean so he can write a review which might lead to more sales thus making the finances less tight? I can't believe how near-sighted the CFC executive can be at times.

Comment

Re: CCN-Marketing?!

'Features all articles from Canadian Chess News in 2010! Includes Chess Globe, Across Canada and top rating lists for each month. Dozen of photos and articles highlighting the year in Canadian chess. Contains 523 pages. 287 games (275 annotated!) with 807 diagrams! The most comprehensive source of Canadian chess news anywhere!'

This is all I could find on chess.ca apart from a pic of the cover.
                    Could use some marketing effort. How are sales going?

Comment

I have a copy which I purchased, Bob. Do you suggest I have it couriered to Jean so he can write a review which might lead to more sales thus making the finances less tight? I can't believe how near-sighted the CFC executive can be at times.
                      Ken, I am glad to see you bought one. What do you think?
                      Jean was very critical last year that we had not yet produced a yearbook. So, I anticipate he will eventually buy one himself. Of course he will first attempt to get one for free. If you wish to buy him one, go ahead.

There were only 100 copies printed. If every governor and organizer bought just one copy, we would easily sell out quickly. I bought a few copies to resell at club and tournaments. A big marketing campaign is not needed. Everyone who has seen the book has been impressed.

Hint to organizers: When they do sell out, having one of these collectors items as a tournament or door prize would be a great idea.
                      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 27th March, 2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I think having a yearbook is vastly superior to reading the newsletter monthly. I like printed, bound material.

Does your comments above represent the position of the CFC Executive, Bob or just your opinion? I think if the legitimate editor of a regular Canadian chess publication asks the CFC for a copy to review I think it behooves the Federation to honour that request.

I think 100 copies was too small of a print run. I'm sure a substantial number could be sold at the CO.

Comment

I think having a yearbook is vastly superior to reading the newsletter monthly. I like printed, bound material.

Does your comments above represent the position of the CFC Executive, Bob or just your opinion? I think if the legitimate editor of a regular Canadian chess publication asks the CFC for a copy to review I think it behooves the Federation to honour that request.

I think 100 copies was too small of a print run. I'm sure a substantial number could be sold at the CO.
                          It is also possible to set up 'print on demand' services so that if the initial run sells out, people can still order printed copies (albeit for a slight premium in some cases...)

One link I noticed recently is this: http://bookpod.uoftbookstore.com/

Of course, pricing and shipping become primary factors, but guessing in advance the number of copies to print, storing and shipping those copies, eating returns etc. are all problems that can be avoided by using print on demand - especially when the initial run is sold out.

I don't know if that option was explored or may be explored...
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Ken, my comments just my own opinion. Unless I specifically state that I am speaking on behalf of the executive, it is just IMHO. Just as your comments, I assume, are your own, and you are not speaking on behalf of the governors. Right?

I invite you to send an email to the executive to request complimentary yearbooks be sent to whomever you feel is deserving.
                            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 27th March, 2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X