How many openings do you regularly play against 1.e4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many openings do you regularly play against 1.e4?

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
    I think you only need 1 for each to start off and then 2 for diversification benefits and 3 maximum. Anything greater than 3 is a waste of time. I employ that philosophy and try to teach it to whoever wants to learn from me.
    The late GM Mednis once wrote that he thought he needed to add a fourth defence against 1.d4 'for good chess reasons'. He didn't elaborate what the reasons were.

I tend to take evasive measures when I start to regularly do poorly in the opening phase against a given player (especially if it results in several losses). That often means switching to a different regular defence (that I already play) with Black against a given first move.

IM Brian Hartman, after playing over 100 games against his Ontario rival IM Deen Hergott, wrote that he had to vary his openings a lot against such a regular opponent, but even then it became difficult to come up with something new (i.e. unless Deen beat him to it).
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re: How many openings do you regularly play against 1.e4?

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
      But you darn near lost to me with it last year in the GPO. I'll admit the opening had little to do with it, however.

Comment

Working...
      X