FIDE rating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE rating question

Just out of curiosity, given that I am going to be living outside of Canada for some time and given that I will be playing FIDE rated tournaments in Lille, Paris and possibly Budapest, I have a question about rating. If I do establish a FIDE rating what happens to my CFC rating? Say if I play the required 30 FIDE games and my FIDE rating is higher or lower than my CFC rating. Given that as some people like to point out I'm not a CFC member or Canadian resident currently. Anyone have any guidance?

Re: FIDE rating question

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
    If I do establish a FIDE rating what happens to my CFC rating? Say if I play the required 30 FIDE games and my FIDE rating is higher or lower than my CFC rating. Given that as some people like to point out I'm not a CFC member or Canadian resident currently. Anyone have any guidance?
    Just go and play without worry about the CFC rating. Just check how different CFC and FIDE ratings are of our top players.
    In case you are very concern about it, you may submit your international tournaments results for the CFC rating. (as I remember it requires to warn in advance about that. Read the Handbook.)

Comment

Just out of curiosity, given that I am going to be living outside of Canada for some time and given that I will be playing FIDE rated tournaments in Lille, Paris and possibly Budapest, I have a question about rating. If I do establish a FIDE rating what happens to my CFC rating? Say if I play the required 30 FIDE games and my FIDE rating is higher or lower than my CFC rating. Given that as some people like to point out I'm not a CFC member or Canadian resident currently. Anyone have any guidance?
      Zeljko Kitich
      Rating Highest Rating Active Rating Active Highest FIDE Rating CFC# Expiry City/Prov
      1655 1741 1685 1720 0 102471 2011-09-01 Hamilton, ON

You keep both ratings. :)

If you are rated under multiple systems (eg. USCF, CFC, FIDE, FQE) some organizers will classify you under you highest rating for Prize purposes and section placement.

Many players, myself included have ratings from multiple systems and organizations.

If you don't have plans for Easter weekend yet, check out our FIDE event here in Victoria BC before you depart the country!

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...ia-canada.html

Grand Pacific Open in Victoria, Canada

Comment

Hi

Whatever you do, don't play in Budapest First Saturday for an initial rating(9 games). It's a glaring pricing ripoff designed to catch foreign players off guard. The asking price for tourists even with ratings in non-norm tournaments is about 4X that for local players. Please contact me and I'll give you the scoop on Budapest tournament action.

Comment

Congratulations on your relocation. After you've written Hamiltonian Paths: A European Sojourn you'll still have your CFC rating, subject to whatever boons or adjustments would have been globally applied in the interim. At least that is the way it has worked, to my recollection. I'd guess that technologically it would not be difficult to incorporate FIDE results into CFC ratings, with a computer program and the occasional press of a button, but I don't see what would be in it for the CFC if there is no membership or rating fee at stake.

Who knows what will happen? The CFC Rating System is like a mighty fortress, the FIDE like the hordes of Genghis Khan. The battle is in the balance, but what role is being played by those who steal bricks from the walls to build houses within, and what role by those who say let's open the gates wide and get it over with? Stay tuned; the hordes are not of one mind, either.

Comment

Great thanks everyone for the great feedback. Michael, I will be vary wary of playing in the First Saturday. I will likely be going to Budapest at some time because it is possible to fly RyanAir to Budapest but not Vienna. So I was planning on visiting Budapest and then making my way on to Vienna and Prague at some point. I hope they still play chess in the famous Vienna coffee houses.

Comment

Great thanks everyone for the great feedback. Michael, I will be vary wary of playing in the First Saturday. I will likely be going to Budapest at some time because it is possible to fly RyanAir to Budapest but not Vienna. So I was planning on visiting Budapest and then making my way on to Vienna and Prague at some point. I hope they still play chess in the famous Vienna coffee houses.
              In 2004 we were visiting Albion and Hungary. At the time, Ryanair did not fly to Budapest, but by booking well in advance we got a great rate on Stansted-Graz (Austria)-Stansted. In fact, the rail London to Stansted was more expensive than the air tickets. MMV. From the Graz airport you can walk (1 km?) to the airport train station. In one direction trains go to exotic Slovenia. In the other it's Graz city where you can catch trains into Hungary via Szentgotthard. Graz is a metropolitan city (but not overwhelming); otherwise the journey was atmospheric and even quaint. The machines that dispense the rail tickets in Austria were a marvel to us. Fortunately, even in March, there was a smattering of other travellers, speaking English, and familiar with the machines... oh yes, European ATMs accept cards only with 4-digit PINs. If you paranoically set a 6-digit PIN, as some Canadian banks allow, that card simply won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                In 2004 we were visiting Albion and Hungary. At the time, Ryanair did not fly to Budapest, but by booking well in advance we got a great rate on Stansted-Graz (Austria)-Stansted. In fact, the rail London to Stansted was more expensive than the air tickets. MMV. From the Graz airport you can walk (1 km?) to the airport train station. In one direction trains go to exotic Slovenia. In the other it's Graz city where you can catch trains into Hungary via Szentgotthard. Graz is a metropolitan city (but not overwhelming); otherwise the journey was atmospheric and even quaint. The machines that dispense the rail tickets in Austria were a marvel to us. Fortunately, even in March, there was a smattering of other travellers, speaking English, and familiar with the machines... oh yes, European ATMs accept cards only with 4-digit PINs. If you paranoically set a 6-digit PIN, as some Canadian banks allow, that card simply won't work.
                Thanks very much Jonathan, all great info to keep in mind.

Comment

Re Ryan Air: on one of my recent World travels,we were in Scotland and Ireland and flying RA actually won a draw on the plane for a free trip where RA flies anywhere.Since we were heading home and could not use free trip-hotel incl- we gave it to a nice Scottish couple who were thrilled.....john J Henry Senior Instructor Chess & Math ,Toronto

Comment

Working...
                  X