Olympiad Fundraiser, May 5-6 in Guelph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad Fundraiser, May 5-6 in Guelph

We are planning some Olympic Fundraising action on the weekend of May 5-6. The question we are wondering is whether players would prefer a regular rated event or a blitz tournament.

Comments are welcome!

Re: Olympiad Fundraiser, May 5-6 in Guelph

Today we had a meeting at the library and several players told they might come if the time control is longer.

Comment

I wonder if Experts, A and B-class players are interested in getting a FIDE rating (I am). Some have started the process at the Canadian Open and need a few more games to get the required 9. Some would like to start the process (which requires getting 1 point of 3 games against FIDE-rated opponents). Would players be interested in a 4 or 5-round event with one section divided into 2 groups, non-FIDE rated versus FIDE-rated? The FIDE-rated can play for the prize fund, the unrateds play to get a rating.

Comment

Hi Hal;
        You get far more players when you run regular time controls and
        if the dedicated chess players want to support the Olympic team they will come.

But you need to provide a small prize fund if the regular rating is used.

If you have an active then give trophies and send the entries to the team.
        Go Canada Go!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
          a 4 or 5-round event with one section divided into 2 groups, non-FIDE rated versus FIDE-rated?
          It might go per Scheveningen system. As I understand FIDE fees would be 2.2$ per player.

Comment

Re : Olympiad Fundraiser, May 5-6 in Guelph

Hi Hal,
            do you have an idea of when the Guelph Spring pro-am is going to be? People usually recommend the Pro-am tourneys so I was thinking to try them out for myself. I'll also try to make this tourney but realistically speaking I think that if it was a rapid tourney, less people from the GTA would come then if it was a regular 1:30 +30 sec. That's just my opinion though, maybe it's actually the other way around...

Comment

Thanks Mike;

My next Pro-Am is June 23-24.

So no one wants blitz? Ok with me! I don't think a fundraiser lends itself to FIDE rating per se. Scheveningens are not permitteed for unratted players - too many abuses have happened.

The best way to create FIDE ratings is a 10 player round robin with 4 FIDE rated players. If the unrateds can score atleast a point against the rated ones, they receive a full FIDE rating.

Comment

Re : Re: Olympiad Fundraiser, May 5-6 in Guelph

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                Thanks Mike;

So no one wants blitz? Ok with me! I don't think a fundraiser lends itself to FIDE rating per se. Scheveningens are not permitteed for unratted players - too many abuses have happened.

The best way to create FIDE ratings is a 10 player round robin with 4 FIDE rated players. If the unrateds can score atleast a point against the rated ones, they receive a full FIDE rating.
                Thanks Hal,
                now I have something to look forward to!

Comment

Thanks Mike;

Thanks for the info Hal. It looks like no unrated player in Toronto was interested in getting a FIDE rating by playing in the Toronto Reserves. Mini Round-robins of 4 or 6 players are fun if the players have close ratings.

Comment

May 5-6
                    Guelph Olympic Fundraiser
                    3rd Floor Guelph University Centre

2 games daily 10am. 4pm.

Time Control G/90 + 30 seconds from move one.

Register onsite 9:00-9:30am or by email to halbond@sympatico.ca. Limited space.

Entry fee $40. CFC membership not required. $35 of each entry goes to the Olympic teams.

All equipment provided. I hope to see you there!

Comment

We're getting some inquiries about the event and more interest after announcing it at the OYCC this past weekend.

Come join us for 4 rounds of CFC regular rated chess, time control is G/90 + 30 seconds. CFC membership is not requireed. so if you know any new players of lapsed members, this is their chance to return to the board.

Comment

Just a brief reminder about this weekend. We are on the 3rd floor of the University Centre this time, not the 4th.

Registration on site happens from 9am - 10 am tomorrow.

See you then!

Comment

Just a brief reminder about this weekend. We are on the 3rd floor of the University Centre this time, not the 4th.

Registration on site happens from 9am - 10 am tomorrow.

See you then!
                          Hey Hal, sounds like a fun chess day! :)

Comment

Thanks Aris! My wife has a different set of words for it, given my departure for the WCC on Monday.

Too bad that we are conflicting with Arnprior -it was the only weekend I could get.

Comment

Re: Olympiad Fundraiser, May 5-6 in Guelph CANCELLED

I guess the weather is too nice for chess!

Comment

Working...
                              X