Clear All

• Canada's teams at the 40th Chess Olympiad 2012

Looks like "National team" has 5 members:

Bator Sambuev
    Leonid Gerzhoy
    Nikolay Noritsyn
    Eric Hansen
    Edward Porper

"Women's Team" has just 3 members for now?!

Re: Canada's teams at the 40th Chess Olympiad 2012

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    Looks like "National team" has 5 members:

Bator Sambuev
    Leonid Gerzhoy
    Nikolay Noritsyn
    Eric Hansen
    Edward Porper

"Women's Team" has just 3 members for now?!
    Who are the three?

Comment

Chess Olympiad 2012 website is up

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      Who are the three?
      You can follow the link to CFC webpage.

Ches Olympiad 2012 website

Comment

Re: Chess Olympiad 2012 website is up

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
        You can follow the link to CFC webpage.

Ches Olympiad 2012 website
        I don't see any list of countries/teams/players there... not much of anything really.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Who are the three?
          The information has been posted on the CFC website:

http://www.chess.ca/2012_Chess_Olympiad#teams

The Women's Team includes:

Iulia Lacau-Rodean
          Alexandra Botez
          Jackie Peng
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            The information has been posted on the CFC website:

http://www.chess.ca/2012_Chess_Olympiad#teams

The Women's Team includes:

Iulia Lacau-Rodean
            Alexandra Botez
            Jackie Peng
            Good Luck to the team!

A special congrats to Jackie Peng, who started in our chess world as a student under CMA Instructor Francis Rodrigues, who today is the Chess'n Math Association Toronto Regional Coordinator.

And Toronto has never been better served!

I learned how to play chess when I was in grade 7 (very late by today standards...ahhh but I remember when a 1300 rated player in grade 7 was King LOL...

I would call schools in my early Montreal Chess League and CMA days...and they would brush me off with...sir...this is an elementary school!...duh :)

I believe Jackie is the youngest Canadian female to ever make the Canadian team!

GO CANADA GO!

and Jackie, we are VERY PROUD of you!

Show'em what you can do!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry:

2nd youngest - Youngest was Stephanie Chu - 13 years old. Jackie will be 14 yrs. old at the date of the Olympiad.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Larry:

2nd youngest - Youngest was Stephanie Chu - 13 years old. Jackie will be 14 yrs. old at the date of the Olympiad.

Bob
                Thanks Bob...how quick we forget!

Stephanie Chu was incredible...hmmm...time to send her an e-mail...maybe we can get her and her brother to take part in our Superfest...stars were in the eyes of all the young guys at the time when she was around :)

Time for an update on the Chu family :)

If anyone has an e-mail address...please send it to

bevand@chess-math.org

Larry

Comment

The thing that strikes me about our Olympic teams is how young they are - especially the women! There are two ways to look at this:
                  a) Kids start playing chess so much earlier nowadays. They get proper coaching (not just Dad or big brother), and start playing 'serious ' chess much earlier than used to be the case. Back when I started playing tournaments in the mid-seventies there were lots of juniors (Fischer boom!) but the youngest of them were maybe 11 or 12 . By their mid-teens many of today's better juniors have reached levels that few players below 18 reached in the old days.
                  b) Today's strong young players (at least in Canada) tend to quit serious chess early, likely long before reaching their full competitive potential. This is especially true of the girls, most of whom pack it in around the time they are preparing for university. Remember the days when our Olympic representatives included a middle-aged Yanofsky, Vranesic, Spraggett, Day, Nickoloff, Hebert, Starr...?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                    The thing that strikes me about our Olympic teams is how young they are - especially the women! There are two ways to look at this:
                    a) Kids start playing chess so much earlier nowadays. They get proper coaching (not just Dad or big brother), and start playing 'serious ' chess much earlier than used to be the case. Back when I started playing tournaments in the mid-seventies there were lots of juniors (Fischer boom!) but the youngest of them were maybe 11 or 12 . By their mid-teens many of today's better juniors have reached levels that few players below 18 reached in the old days.
                    b) Today's strong young players (at least in Canada) tend to quit serious chess early, likely long before reaching their full competitive potential. This is especially true of the girls, most of whom pack it in around the time they are preparing for university. Remember the days when our Olympic representatives included a middle-aged Yanofsky, Vranesic, Spraggett, Day, Nickoloff, Hebert, Starr...?
                    Canada has had numerous strong young girls in their chess system, but there was rarely much of a support system or program for them. Its only natural then that most of them retire at an early age.
                    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 6th April, 2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      Thanks Bob...how quick we forget!

Stephanie Chu was incredible...hmmm...time to send her an e-mail...maybe we can get her and her brother to take part in our Superfest...stars were in the eyes of all the young guys at the time when she was around :)

Time for an update on the Chu family :)

If anyone has an e-mail address...please send it to

bevand@chess-math.org

Larry
                      Thanks to Ian Findlay and Denis Allan for providing me with an update on the Chu family!

I consider myself to be very lucky....many very special people have crossed my path in the chess world over the last few decades :)

Enjoy your Easter weekend :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X