CCC Discussing Chess – Posts of Interest # 3 ( Week of March 30 – April 5/12 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCC Discussing Chess – Posts of Interest # 3 ( Week of March 30 – April 5/12 )

Posted on Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) FB chess discussion page, “ CCC – Chess Posts of Interest “:

CCC Discussing Chess – Posts of Interest # 3 ( Week of March 30 – April 5/12 )

Some say that 1.e4 is the best possible first move in chess! What do you think?

There are 20 possible first moves in chess. But, after 1.e4, Fritz 13 gives (... using depth 20 or more), the following line, and gives it the highest valuation:

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.0-0 Bc5 5.Nxe5 Nxe5 6.d4 a6 7.Be2 Bxd4 8.Qxd4 d6+/= ( 0.58 - depth 20 )

Its valuation for 1.d4 is only 0.29. And for all other of the 18 moves, the valuation is less.

So Fritz says the best opening is a game of 1.e4 which, after the completion of move 8, is evaluated as +/= ( 0.58 ) – this is a “ slight “ advantage to white. Do you think that chess players generally accept this evaluation? Or do many think the position is only equal – somewhere between 0.00 and 0.25? In the history of chess, has the literature stated that after 1.e4 the position is equal, or have they said white gets a “ slight “ advantage, as does Fritz 13?

Was Bobby Fischer was right - 1.e4 is " best by test "?

A supplementary question is - Can the strongest and fastest chess computers in the world, improve on Fritz 13's first 8 moves? And what does the whole game look like? Canadian Chess Consulting Service has issued this challenge to the world and called it “ The Great Perfect Chess Game Challenge – 1.e4 “. It is still waiting for someone to take up the challenge – there have been nibbles, but as of yet, no one has committed themselves to trying it.

Even if you have only a modestly stronger computer than Fritz 13, will you take up the challenge? Post here what your computer does with 1.e4!

The CCC motto is: Competition OverTB; Cooperation OffTB.

Want introductory CCC material? Contact Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator - cooperativechesscoalition@gmail.com . Consider joining !

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    CCC Facebook Group Page : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfr...806343128&ap=1
    CCC Twitter Account : http://www.twitter.com/coopchesscoalit

Re: CCC Discussing Chess – Posts of Interest # 3 ( Week of March 30 – April 5/12 )

Sorry Bob, but this e4 and d4 discussion with computer analysis declaring that the best continuation is the following set of moves is fairly retarded - I'm sorry for using that word but I couldn't figure out a synonym so it'll have to do. No offense intended for those suffering from actual autism.
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re: CCC Discussing Chess – Posts of Interest # 3 ( Week of March 30 – April 5/12 )

Hi Bindi:

CCC does respect the opinion of an IM on the discussion. We'll take it under advisement, and see what the reaction of others is. Thx.

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

Computer being used to confirm Fischer thesis on King's Gambit Opening Theory: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8047 .

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Computer being used to confirm Fischer thesis on King's Gambit Opening Theory: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8047 .

Bob, CCC Coordinator
          Bob, maybe you didn't notice the date of the chessbase post (April 1). You are just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

Comment

April Fools?

Hi Roger:

Others have mentioned that but the date is April 2, no?:

Chessbase Article:

Rajlich: Busting the King's Gambit, this time for sure02.04.2012 – Fifty years ago Bobby Fischer published a famous article,..........

Surely this is not cricket, to post an April Fools Day joke, and date it on April 2!! Where did you get the April 1 date?

Here is the Chessbase April 1 article:

Chess Match of the Century table up for sale 01.04.2012

Bob , CCC Coordinator

P.S. There are those who say I spend my whole life " digging a deeper hole " for myself!! LOL
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 3rd April, 2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Re: April Fools?

Actually, I just looked again, and there are two other April 1 stories:

Capablanca's Chess + Billiards match 01.04.2012
              and
              The 'Let's Check' Crystal Ball 01.04.2012 .

Guess we have to wait for Chessbase to fess up as to which is the April Fools Day joke.

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

a modestly stronger computer than Fritz 13
                F13 is just a software.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.0-0 Bc5 5.Nxe5 Nxe5 6.d4 a6 7.Be2 Bxd4 8.Qxd4 d6+/= ( 0.58 - depth 20 )
                Did you re-check the evaluation at the end of the line?

Would you play that line for White or Black? ;)

As I know F13 has a feature to connect to a database with evaluated lines done by other computers. Did you check that too?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  Actually, I just looked again, and there are two other April 1 stories:

Capablanca's Chess + Billiards match 01.04.2012
                  and
                  The 'Let's Check' Crystal Ball 01.04.2012 .

Guess we have to wait for Chessbase to fess up as to which is the April Fools Day joke.

Bob, CCC Coordinator
                  or you could just use common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    Sometimes "common sense" does not work. In this case common sense tells me that April Fool's day is April 1st, not second. And that computers may well be able to bust the King's gambit, one way or another.

Comment

Hi Roger:

in short supply.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Sometimes "common sense" does not work. In this case common sense tells me that April Fool's day is April 1st, not second. And that computers may well be able to bust the King's gambit, one way or another.
                        just so that we are clear here, you and Bob both think that it is entirely plausible that after the moves 1. e4 e5 2. f4 ef that the only move which doesn't lose for white is 3. Be2 and in particular, 3. Nf3 and 3. Bc4 both lose. [as per the chessbase article]

Comment

just so that we are clear here, you and Bob both think that it is entirely plausible that after the moves 1. e4 e5 2. f4 ef that the only move which doesn't lose for white is 3. Be2 and in particular, 3. Nf3 and 3. Bc4 both lose. [as per the chessbase article]
                          I'm not on either side of this discussion because I don't know. However, I used to employ the Kings Gambit for white a lot in Correspondence chess. When the computers started getting better I found all I was getting was a game with a pawn down so I stopped using the opening. The fun was gone.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

They lose by force too! (as per the article - if I recall correctly...)

All of this sort of crap makes me more or less ignore the internet on April Fools Day ( chessbase deserves extra censure for being stupid enough to run some of this crap with an April 2 date - although that might have been an innocent mistake caused by picking up the local time in Europe if the article was posted late enough to catch afternoon/evening April Fools day in N.America )

Sadly, there is enough crap posted on the internet to make almost anything plausible to some group...
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

After all it does seem unlikely that after move 3 (Be2 or otherwise) the game could be worked out to the end. Somehow you may be right. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X