Shocking news from 6th Annual Grand Pacific Open Victoria BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking news from 6th Annual Grand Pacific Open Victoria BC

GM Hikaru Nakamura wins the event with 6/6! Congratulations!
    :D

Re: Shocking news from 6th Annual Grand Pacific Open Victoria BC

Shocking...indeed.

Comment

Congrads Hikaru - nice to have you playing from time to time in Canada.

Bob

Comment

Come to Kitchener-Waterloo Hikaru!

3 Reasons to come:

1. "World's Smartest City" http://www.cigionline.org/articles/2...-smartest-city
        2. One hour from St. Louis
        3. Poker Capital of the North

Comment

6th Annual Grand Pacific Open

Congrats to Hikaru Nakamura for a perfect score. The unrelenting pressure in the final game, virtually from the start, was very instructive. After White's ... a3, ... a5! just seemed like a vise starting to close on White's position. Elegant chess.

I drove down from the Cowichan Valley for the start of today's round. Glad I did. I'm one of those who was fooled by the ChessBase April Fool's joke - a bust of the King's Gambit (again) - until Jack Yoos set me straight. Much appreciated, Jack. The free parking was great, as well, and Victoria was quiet and easy to get around in.

Kudos to TD Mark Dutton and the organizers. See you in July for the Open!
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes! Tony- sorry, but I spend all my time in Vancouver, Victoria or elsewhere in British Columbia. It is really too sad that there isn't more chess in the best province in Canada, but c'est la vie. I look forward to seeing everyone again at the CYCC and the Canadian Open in July. Last but not least, kudos to Brian Raymer, Mark Dutton and everyone else who was involved in the organizational process of putting together the tournament.

Comment

Re: 6th Annual Grand Pacific Open

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
              Congrats to Hikaru Nakamura for a perfect score. The unrelenting pressure in the final game, virtually from the start, was very instructive. After White's ... a3, ... a5! just seemed like a vise starting to close on White's position. Elegant chess.

I drove down from the Cowichan Valley for the start of today's round. Glad I did. I'm one of those who was fooled by the ChessBase April Fool's joke - a bust of the King's Gambit (again) - until Jack Yoos set me straight. Much appreciated, Jack. The free parking was great, as well, and Victoria was quiet and easy to get around in.

Kudos to TD Mark Dutton and the organizers. See you in July for the Open!
              Nigel you are right, it was very elegant chess from Hikaru. I was completely outclassed and it was humbling, but hopefully something I can use to improve.

I'd especially like to thank Hikaru for playing, it was an honor to play a player of his caliber.

I'd also like to thank Mark Dutton, Brian Raymer and all of the other organizers and volunteers, it was a well run tournament in a great location with a Super GM, you can't really ask for too much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                Maybe less shocking is that U1800 section was won by a 10 years old: FGM Josh Doknjas!

PS
                FGM - future GM ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                  It is really too sad that there isn't more chess in the best province in Canada, but c'est la vie.
                  No province with a shortage of chess can claim to be the best. :)

Comment

My chess sucked at the event, but it was well run, and in a great, scenic playing area.

Comment

Re: 6th Annual Grand Pacific Open

Nicolas, since you have been so direct and truthful then I shall be the same. Other than looking at what opening variations GMs use, I don't much look at their games. It's all mostly beyond me. This time was a kind of exception and I actually felt the pressure, didn't like the future prospects of the b-pawn, etc.

Congrats on your play in any case. I have no doubt that you'll be beating GMs before I do.
                      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

MORE NEWS & REPORTS -Re: Shocking news from 6th Annual Grand Pacific Open Victoria BC

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                        Here is a copy of the FIDE Crosstable from the event:
                        http://ratings.fide.com/view_source.phtml?code=61193

Also and event report from Roger Patterson:

http://grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/...Event%20Report

Another report from Paris, France:

http://www.chess-and-strategy.com/20...ra-devant.html

Comment

Thanks for making the voyage to Victoria and helping to make the 6th Grand Pacific Open another great event.

Comment

7th annual Grand Pacific Open March 29-April 1 2013

The 7th annual Grand Pacific Open will be held March 29-April 1 2013. www.grandpacificopen.com We expect another record attendance next year.

Comment

Working...
                            X