American Open Roommate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Open Roommate?

If anyone is considering going to the American Open in Los Angeles on November 27-30, I have a hotel room booked at the tournament hotel for $99 USD a night. If you're interested in splitting a room, just send me a message, or respond to this thread. You can visit the tournament website at this link: http://americanopen.org/

Are you any relation to Rob MacKinnon?

Keith, are you related to Rob MacKinnon? He used to go to CFC tournaments in the early and mid-90s, and he'd hang around with the likes of Bob Gillanders, Paul Beckwith, and myself, others as well.

In fact, he was the one person I most looked forward to seeing at a tournament, because he and I had so many running gags and jokes we would do or tell. I couldn't look at him without laughing. There was one running line we would say to each other every time that would have us both laughing, and now I can't remember what it was!

The one gag we did that I remember most was at the Canadian Open in Winnipeg, maybe '92 or '93, or it might have been Calgary in '96, and there were a bunch of Russian GMs attending. We thought we might get them nervous if we hung around the boards they were playing at and put a pen to our ears and talked into the pen while looking furtively around the playing hall, like we were KGB agents on the lookout for possible assassins. Sometimes we would start running while talking into the pens, as if a big event were going down outside the playing area.

Nowadays everyone does this for real on cell phones. Not nearly as funny.

If you are related to Rob, and / or are 1/10th as much fun to be around, I highly recommend anyone out there who likes to have fun at tournaments to split a room with you.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Great Story

Hi Paul. I don't think I'm related to him, but I guess it's a possibility. Great story by the way!

Comment

Working...
      X