Mark these dates on your calendar: Aug 15-19, 2012!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark these dates on your calendar: Aug 15-19, 2012!

From Aug 15-19, 2012, the Chess'n Math Association will be hosting our 27th Anniversary Superfest celebration in the Laurentians, at Hotel Le Chantecler ( www.lechantecler.com ), approximately 45 minutes north of Montreal.

After consulting with many people, this is what we have come up with:

This will be a 5-round event with 1 game per day to allow everyone to enjoy this incredible tourist location where we have negotiated an incredible hotel rate!

There will be lots of chess of course...but we will also be offering special activities!

Get full details at: http://www.chess-math.org/superfest2012/

Re: Mark these dates on your calendar: Aug 15-19, 2012!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    From Aug 15-19, 2012, the Chess'n Math Association will be hosting our 27th Anniversary Superfest celebration in the Laurentians, at Hotel Le Chantecler ( www.lechantecler.com ), approximately 45 minutes north of Montreal.

This will be a 5-round event with 1 game per day to allow everyone to enjoy this incredible tourist location where we have negotiated an incredible hotel rate!

There will be lots of chess of course...but we will also be offering special activities!

Register by the end of Aprtil in order to get the best rates!

Comment

Register by the end of Aprtil in order to get the best rates!
      Make your summer plans now...rates go up on May 1, 2012!

Comment

Hi Larry,

Last night I was looking to register for the Superfest, but as I went through the tournament publicity on the web, I was surprised to see that there was no way to register and pay on-line?! Looks like I missed the May 1 deadline for the fee increase.

Did I miss something?

Regards,

Evan

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Frangakis View Post
          Hi Larry,

Last night I was looking to register for the Superfest, but as I went through the tournament publicity on the web, I was surprised to see that there was no way to register and pay on-line?! Looks like I missed the May 1 deadline for the fee increase.

Did I miss something?

Regards,

Evan
          Hi Evan,

I am slowly (very slowly :) being pushed into the new age.

Basically, we can do this, but the extra charges have to be passed on to the customer...

In Ontario for the Chess Challenge this year...registrations were accepted only on-line...except for those who registered at the door and paid the extra amount. This was thanks to our awesome coordinator, Leslie Armstrong!

She found it simplified her job immensely. We used a company called eventbrite.

I know Brian Raymer in Victoria B.C. uses them and he swears by them also :). So how does this work...well...eventbrite takes a cut and then they deposit a lump sum into our bank account at the end of the day.

This extra cost was built into the entry fee.

So for the Superfest what we did (my way of doing things LOL) was try to offer a great event at the lowest possible price.

If you want to call in your registration and pay with a credit card...I will charge you our credit card fee of 3%...even though you are registering after the deadline...I will waive the price increase if you do this no later than Thursday....or simply call me and I will take care of it. You and anyone else who wants to do that.

Another compromise I am willing to make...if anyone stops by one of our 3 shops tomorrow and pays in cash...I will waive the price increase.

I am a slow learner...Hopefully..I will go new school by the end of 2013...and then claim it was my idea :)

Glad you want to take part in this event! Everyone tells me it is a risky venture...chess players only want to play chess...they don't care about the scenery...the outdoor activities...etc...hopefully we will prove them wrong! I am looking for 150 players...we are sitting at 10% of that with 3 and a half months to go :). The prize fund is guaranteed. We negotiated rock bottom hotel rates!

Build it and they will come...I really hope so :)

If we meet our target, this could become an annual event...if not...I will come to terms with the fact that others know better :)

Regardless...I am sure we will have a blast!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply and your usual "flexibility". I will give you a call later today.

I'm sure all the players who are going with family to the tournament will appreciate all of the other activities. You probably know this, but south of the border a lot of tournaments are arranged at locations which allow for family recreation/vacation time and it seems to work well.

Regards,

Evan

Comment

Looking at Porter airlines, it's cheaper to fly to Mont Tremblant rather than Montreal. Is that a good idea? Easy to get to the hotel by a bus?

Mon Aug 13 depart Toronto 2 pm, Mon Aug 20 depart 7:35pm
              $107 + $158= $264 (versus $309 to Montreal)

Comment

Make your summer plans now...rates go up on June 1, 2012!

Just a reminder...

Go to http://www.chess-math.org/superfest2012/

for details

Comment

Just a reminder that you should reserve your room by July 16 2012.

Comment

Any news of a pre-registered list?

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                      Any news of a pre-registered list?

Norm
                      Hi Normand,

Because of the way the entry fee increases are scheduled, the firt pre-register list will be posted on or around August 3rd 2012.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                      X