CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest = Bye in Last Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest = Bye in Last Round

To save any headaches in later rounds: I would probably just give Player Z his money back and tell them to come another time when they can play the 5th Round or just tell them not to play.

Players demanding things from a TD when it is clearly posted in the tournament
    flyer should consider not playing. If they find other circumstances will have a priority so they cannot play the 5th round then maybe they should sit that tournament out.

Unforeseen things happen but when players clearly know they cannot play a 5th round well in advance, they should not ask for favors ie 1/2 pt byes in a last round.

Comment

Perhaps the answer to all this is, as Zeljko intimated above, to adopt the zero-point bye system. Then it shouldn't matter in which round a player requests a bye (provided it's done far enough in advance to avoid inconveniencing the TD) because at no time could it be argued that s/he is enhancing her/his chances of winning a prize (no more swiss gambits).
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I joined the CFC in 1980, and half point byes were part of the landscape. As time goes on I like them less and less. I think they undermine the value and importance of being there to play.

In my opinion, one who opts out of the last round has not completed the event and is therefore ineligible for prizes. Exceptional circumstances are possible, but another appointment doesn't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          I joined the CFC in 1980, and half point byes were part of the landscape. As time goes on I like them less and less. I think they undermine the value and importance of being there to play.

In my opinion, one who opts out of the last round has not completed the event and is therefore ineligible for prizes. Exceptional circumstances are possible, but another appointment doesn't cut it.
          OK, if there is some flexibility/fairness in how the rule is applied (as you have said, Hal) then I can see the logic in your position. However, getting back to Bob Armstrong's post (different thread) that started this discussion, TDs need to include all of their bye-related conditions, including no play-no pay if applicable, in their pre-tournament advertising.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
          X