Do you play gambits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you play gambits?

This is a poll asking respondents if they currently play gambits in the opening (with one or both colours).
    I play them regularly
    23.81%
    I occasionally play them
    42.86%
    I rarely play them
    23.81%
    I never play them
    9.52%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Do you play gambits?

Does the Queen's Gambit (1.d4 d5 2.c4) count?

Comment

The Queen's Gambit is generally recognized as a misnomer, so generally speaking, no, it wouldn't count. However I recall there are some specific variations of the Queen's Gambit that really are gambits.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        This is a poll asking respondents if they currently play gambits in the opening (with one or both colours).
        I thought I'd give a link to the list of gambits from the world known Gambiteers Guild. While you visit the home of the Guild, look around and get a feel for the halls of the castle and the rooms within as well as the great players who have come to drink and play within it's walls.

http://www.vikingskak.dk/GambiteersGuild/Gambits.htm

Don't miss the updates part which includes the famous and durable Potaissa Turda Gambit. :)

Before leaving don't forget to sing the hymn of the Gambiteers Guild. You'll find the words here.

http://www.vikingskak.dk/GambiteersGuild/GuildHymn.htm

Here's the main page. It looks like it's been a few years since it's been updated.

http://www.vikingskak.dk/GambiteersGuild/

Anyhow, enjoy!
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This poll was inspired by Hugh Brodie's recent chesstalk thread, on chess like in the good old days:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6595

I had forgotten that I had done a similar poll to this one a couple of years ago (however it may be interesting to compare the results at a later date):

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...lay+gambits%3F
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 21st April, 2012, 12:07 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

So far this poll shows a significant drop (since my similar 2010 poll) in the number/percentage of respondents that NEVER play gambits. Interesting, and encouraging for the young at heart (when it comes to chess).

Comment

I play the Evans Gambit whenever I get the chance! :)

Comment

Originally posted by zachary dukic View Post
                I play the Evans Gambit whenever I get the chance! :)
                Same here, other than when I don't play 3.Bc4 (which is more often nowadays, I think).

[edit: oops, I forgot I play a more normal Italian Game once in a while after 3.Bc4 Bc5]
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 25th April, 2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                  Same here, other than when I don't play 3.Bc4 (which is more often nowadays, I think).

[edit: oops, I forgot I play a more normal Italian Game once in a while after 3.Bc4 Bc5]
                  There was a time where I would play 3.Bc4 all the time, then I took a long break and started playing a scotch, or scotch gambit. My results weren't doing me any good, so I decided to switch back to 3.Bc4. Also, if 3...Nf6 instead of Bc5, I just sacrifice the e4 pawn haha, not sure if that would be considered a gambit though :)

Comment

The Evans is an uncomfortable opening to face for many players. I seem to do better whenever I play an opening where I'm on the more comfortable side (at least for less than elite players or computers). This in spite of whether the opening is tactical or positional. Also, offbeat openings can be hard to face just due to lack of familiarity.

After 3.Bc4 Nf6, there are gambits of the pawn on e4 known to theory as gambits. If you've invented a new one that shouldn't lose, good for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X