Do you wish you had a digital photo of you in ChessBase & FIDE databases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wish you had a digital photo of you in ChessBase & FIDE databases?

This is a poll to see whether, given the opportunity to be photographed by a digital camera, respondents would wish to have a digital photo of themselves in ChessBase and FIDE's databases.

It's my understanding that ChessBase gets photos for its databases from FIDE's database.
    Yes
    13.04%
    No
    43.48%
    I don't care
    34.78%
    There already is a photo of me in one or both of these databases
    8.70%
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 22nd April, 2012, 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Do you wish you had a digital photo of you in ChessBase & FIDE databases?

I recently had my photo taken by a CFC Governor who had a digital camera. The photo is now part of my FIDE chess profile (and I suppose will soon be in ChessBase's databases):

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2600455
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 22nd April, 2012, 05:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I want as many pictures of me in as many places as possible...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
        ^ this completely

Comment

Interesting to see there is such a high number/percentage of respondents (so far) who don't want their photo in a ChessBase/FIDE database.

I know at least one person who would not want future opponents to know what they look like. Another reason might be dislike of putting any photo of oneself on the internet, anywhere.

Besides possible self-promotion, one possible (patriotic? :) ) reason to want a photo of oneself in these databases would be give more Canadian chess personalities more prominence.

Comment

There are stories of top player matches where at least one player had a portrait of his future opponent hung in his study, to get used to him.

Bronstein used this idea when he played his world championship match vs. Botvinnik, I recall.

It didn't help in the end. The match was apparently decided by Stalin's intervention before the last game of the match, which ended in a tie, with Botvinnik retaining the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

my sculpted serratus needs to be everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                Another reason might be dislike of putting any photo of oneself on the internet, anywhere.
                Facebook can use it to collect your biometrics

Comment

I suppose it's good to defend oneself against as many threats as possible, however probable they may be. There's only so much one can do, though. A certain organization has been in the news more than once over the years for baptizing deceased people [edit: world-wide, without permission], for example.

Comment

Don't want my face associated with a low FIDE rating
                    i rep back 3+

Comment

FIDE's database uses what they call 'Chess Profiles', which includes arbiters, trainers, organizers and maybe other categories than just for players.

Comment

Working...
                      X