CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Failure to Play Last Round.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Failure to Play Last Round.

Hi Bob Armstrong;

If you are referring to The Niagara Falls Open 2012.
    No player who competed got 4 points and was given a last round withdrawal for not playing the last round.
    One player did get sick and had to withdraw due to their illness.
    One player did not play the last round and the TD did not withdraw him and gave him the 0 pt bye for round 5.

Had Erwin (who started the original post) showed up and played I'm sure that the TD would have given the 0 pt bye for the last round and not withdrawn Erwin. Erwin contacted the TD late Friday about only playing
    4 Rounds. The TD had to make a quick decision and chose to offer Erwin 4 Rounds and a last Round withdrawal. This was a hasty decision but Erwin did not show up so none of your post here ever happened.

If you do indeed have the exact tournament in question then maybe we can give you more accurate opinions.

Comment

Hi John:

Though Erwin did another post concerning the Niagara Falls Open, this thread has nothing to do with the actual tournament. It just so happens that the tournament condition from that tournament of " 2 byes only, in first 3 rounds " is a nice clear rule and suits my hypothetical.

The actual tournament I have been trying to remember re not playing the last round is a different one from some time ago.

What is interesting about that tournament, re this issue, though, is that in his spontaneous TD decision re the last round re Erwin, John Erickson used the " no last round bye; only withdrawal " rule in making his decision, which is the same rule used by our Scarborough CC, and by at least one Toronto organizer/TD.

It's maybe a good thing Erwin didn't happen, in 4 rounds, to tie for first, since it would appear that the issue of whether Erwin was eligible for a prize was not discussed at the time of the request for a 5th round bye.

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 24th April, 2012, 07:19 AM.

Comment

The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) hopes that by raising the two issues of last round bye requests, and prizes if tournament not " finished ", it has alerted organizers/TD's to the importance of advertising the terms re these two items before the tournament.

Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          t has alerted organizers/TD's to the importance of advertising the terms re these two items before the tournament.r
          No prizes for byers.
          The tournament is about playing. The last round is important as the first one.

Comment

If the player requested a round 5 bye prior to the start of the tournament and the TD agreed, then he should be eligible for prizes. If he was not going to be eligible, the TD should have told him that before the first round.

However if the bye was requested after the tournament began, I think it should be considered a withdrawal.

Comment

Re: Failure to Play Last Round - Is Restriction a Good One?

In the actual tournament I'm trying to remember, I don't think the TD had advertised about " don't finish - don't win " before the tournament, and don't think he talked to the player about it when the player asked for the Rd. 5 " bye ".
              Bob
              A 0 point last round bye is exactly that, a "zero point" bye.
              Not a "forfeit all points and prizes" bye.

What was advertised about byes for the later rounds?

Comment

I have to say I'm slightly perplexed by this conversation. I must be missing something.

Let's say I'm in a 5 round Swiss and after 4 rounds I have a perfect 4 out of 4. My closest rival has 3 out of 4. If I play the last round, the worst I can do is end up with 4 points. If I don't play, I end up with 4 points. Materially there is no difference. In which case depending on how my rival does, I might end up with the most points or maybe I'd end up tied at 4 points. Shouldn't I get the prize (or my share of it) for having the most points?

Let's say the TD is going to be strict and says no byes in the last round but I absolutely cannot play (I've got to work or I've got childcare problems or whatever). I suppose I could simply not show up and get a forfeit loss but still qualify for the prize. Or I could simply resign after my opponents first move (looking at 1. e4 I figure I'm pretty much done, so I'll resign). Or I'll play like an idiot and lose in 2 moves which might cost me 5 minutes and I can get to where I need to go. Any of these actions are, I think, kind of scummy but they circumvent the TD rule about last round byes. But is anyone really further ahead when I do something like this. Wouldn't it just be simpler to give me zero points for the last round and let the cards fall where they may?

I fully understand not giving a 1/2 point bye in the last round as such a practice could be abused. But a zero point bye, where's the harm? As I said, a quick loss is always available to me via the Fool's Mate or some other stupidity.

I agree with one of the other posters that as organizers of chess events, we need to make things easier for players to get involved as long as basic principles of fairness are maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                  .... I suppose I could simply not show up and get a forfeit loss but still qualify for the prize. Or I could simply resign after my opponents first move (looking at 1. e4 I figure I'm pretty much done, so I'll resign). Or I'll play like an idiot and lose in 2 moves which might cost me 5 minutes and I can get to where I need to go. Any of these actions are, I think, kind of scummy but they circumvent the TD rule about last round byes.
                  Hi Steve:

From the 4 pt. players point of view, it is much more preferable to be awarded a " zero point bye ", and have it theoretically arguable that he " finished " the tournament, and therefore qualifies for a prize. In the scenarios you outline above, they are unsatisfactory, because the game will be rated and the 4-pt. player will lose rating points ( and at Scarborough CC it might put him into a lower group! LOL ). An organizer who is determined to treat the " last round ' bye ' request " as a " withdrawal ", can then use this to argue his rule that " no prize to a player who does not FINISH the tournament ".

So it seems to me that the distinctions being drawn in this debate are critical to what outcome is fair. Seems to me the wording makes a difference.

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

An organizer who is determined to treat the " last round ' bye ' request " as a " withdrawal ", can then use this to argue his rule that " no prize to a player who does not FINISH the tournament ".
                    What is the organizer gaining by this position?
                    Last edited by Steve Karpik; Thursday, 26th April, 2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Steve:

I think he is trying to force his top players to play right into the last round, and keep more games critical in this last round.

Bob

Comment

I agree with the organizer. Not because the idea of forcing strong players play all rounds, but because the justice of the tournament. I hope this example can explain my opinion.

Suppose we have 5-round swiss tournament. After 4 rounds tournament standing is:
                        1. Player A has 4 point
                        2. Player B has 3.5 points
                        3. Player C and few others have 2.5 points...
                        Untill now everything is very real. Pretty tipical situation for week-ender.

Now suppose player A has 1700 rating, player B - 1900, players C - 2000, all other below 1700.
                        Looks not very logical, but sometimes you need only 1 surprise to get this situation. So how it could be?
                        1. Player A beat 3 lower-rated players and (probably in round 4) beat player C (surprise).
                        2. Player B drew once in first 4 rounds (or had a bye) and beat 3 lower-rated players.
                        3. Player C drew once in first 3 rounds (or had a bye), beat 2 lower-rated players and lost to player C in 4-th round.

If everything continues properly A plays against B in round 5. Rating differencial (200 points) gives him about 70 % to lose last game and finish tournament clear second. But A can make unusual move - withdraw from the tournament. In this case A gets 0 point bye, and finishes tournament with 4 points. B playes against C, because C is the highest-rated 2.5 point player. Rating differencial (100 points) gives him about 30 % to win, 20 % to draw and 50 % to lose his last game.

So if player A plays his last game he has 30 % to finish 1-st and 70 % to finish second. If player A forfeits he has 50 % to finish 1-st, 20 % to share 1-2 place and 30 % to finish 2-nd. Second option gives him much better chances.

For example if 1-st prize is 400 CAD and 2-nd is 200 CAD player A wins (average) 260 CAD if he plays last round and 320 CAD if doesn't. (he just delegates his game to player C, who is much higher-rated).

TD should avoid this situation. His decision not to give any prize to player who didn't play last round looks very fair to me.

Comment

I've had two occasions in the last week where people admiringly(? ... well at least I was flattered) mentioned that I think like a criminal. One was my financial advisor; the other was one of my oldest friends. You sir, and I say this admiringly, also think like a criminal.

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                          I agree with the organizer. Not because the idea of forcing strong players play all rounds, but because the justice of the tournament. I hope this example can explain my opinion.

Suppose we have 5-round swiss tournament. After 4 rounds tournament standing is:
                          1. Player A has 4 point

Now suppose player A has 1700 rating, player B - 1900, players C - 2000, all other below 1700.
                          Looks not very logical, but sometimes you need only 1 surprise to get this situation. So how it could be?
                          1. Player A beat 3 lower-rated players and (probably in round 4) beat player C (surprise).
                          2. Player B drew once in first 4 rounds (or had a bye) and beat 3 lower-rated players.
                          3. Player C drew once in first 3 rounds (or had a bye), beat 2 lower-rated players and lost to player C in 4-th round.

If everything continues properly A plays against B in round 5. Rating differencial (200 points) gives him about 70 % to lose last game and finish tournament clear second. But A can make unusual move - withdraw from the tournament. In this case A gets 0 point bye, and finishes tournament with 4 points. B playes against C, because C is the highest-rated 2.5 point player. Rating differencial (100 points) gives him about 30 % to win, 20 % to draw and 50 % to lose his last game.

So if player A plays his last game he has 30 % to finish 1-st and 70 % to finish second. If player A forfeits he has 50 % to finish 1-st, 20 % to share 1-2 place and 30 % to finish 2-nd. Second option gives him much better chances.

For example if 1-st prize is 400 CAD and 2-nd is 200 CAD player A wins (average) 260 CAD if he plays last round and 320 CAD if doesn't. (he just delegates his game to player C, who is much higher-rated).

TD should avoid this situation. His decision not to give any prize to player who didn't play last round looks very fair to me.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Most people in the modern world just don't like to think (like a criminal or not - doesn't matter).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                              What is the organizer gaining by this position?
                              Power.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

1. Player A has 4 point

This simply proves that one can make figures say whatever one wants. With some dubious basis and selected figures everything becomes possible, including getting better chances with a zero point bye than playing. This is not a criminal mind at work but simply a crime against intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                                X