Toronto International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto International

So I was just browsing for chess tournaments and I just realized that Toronto International is a 7 rounder? This is... umm... fairly... inadequate. I like the prize structure and the fact that there is going to a big fide rated tournament in Toronto but having a 7 rounder is basically a weekender with some GM's. There's no norm opportunities and isn't that really the main point of having an "international"? Even though the chances of someone achieving a norm is fairly low, that's the big motivating factor behind attracting talented players to go for that prize. I know that was why I kept going to Philly Int and World Open for so many years in a row. I know I didn't go because I loved paying for huge entree fees for top level GM's to take home with them. :)
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Re: Toronto International

It's a busy summer Bindi. The Toronto International sits between the Canadian and Quebec Opens (2 great events!) and there is no room for 9 rounds.

The Chess Institute of Canada is keen to keep Toronto on the summer chess calandar. No norms, granted, but 7 FIDE rated rounds with international players and decent prize money will be more than adequate for most. I hope you are able to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      No norms, granted, but 7 FIDE rated rounds with international players and decent prize money will be more than adequate for most.
      Is there a pre-reg list somewhere?

Comment

Ed - thanks for your interest! We will post a pre-registered list once we have enough names to warrant it. Perhaps early June.

Bindi - if you scored 3 GM norms in a row you would probably still need more rated action to reach 2500. I recall Nikolay Noritsyn scoring a bunch of IM norms before he reached 2400, and then won the title outright at a Zonal.

Comment

Hal... no offence... but I'm not retarded, I know exactly what it takes to get GM norms and what it took to get IM norms and the fact of the matter is, ratings are great and all but with someone who has limited opportunities playing in international tournaments, having more opportunities to get those norms is better than just beating up masters at a weekender tournament.
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
            Hal... no offence... but I'm not retarded
            I take offense to your use of the word "retarded".

Norm
            Last edited by Normand Arsenault; Saturday, 5th May, 2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X