CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Chess

There is an interesting series of articles on youth chess in the Streatham & Brixton (U.K.) Chess Blog. (Mentioned here earlier by Michael Yip: http://​streathambrixtonchess.blogsp...03;-where.html). The gist of the articles is that while many children in the U.K. are playing chess, this hasn't translated into good results for Britain in international competitions lately. A suggestion is that the proper training methods are not being used. A related issue, brought up on Kevin Spraggett's blog, is that the boom in kids' chess in Canada has not resulted in a boom in adult CFC membership- I agree with Kevin on this point :) . Even many of our most talented youngsters put away the pieces, perhaps for good, around the time they start college. Why is this? What can we do to keep the kids in the game - not necessarily as professional players (although it would be nice if more of our top young stars gave it a shot), but at least as active amateurs?

Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Chess

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
    ...many of our most talented youngsters put away the pieces, perhaps for good, around the time they start college. Why is this? What can we do to keep the kids in the game - not necessarily as professional players (although it would be nice if more of our top young stars gave it a shot), but at least as active amateurs?
    Top 10 List: Things We Can Do To Keep College-Age Kids in Organized Chess

(1) Chess cheerleaders!!!
    (2) Tweeting your chess moves.
    (3) Bob Armstrong portraits everywhere.
    (4) Bob Gillanders portraits everywhere.
    (5) When one player captures another player's piece, the two players make the pieces "fight".
    (6) American Chess Idol.
    (7) Chess sets made of liquor-filled chocolate; captured piece must be consumed.
    (8) Paul Beckwith AGW lectures before every game.
    (9) Gary Ruben oil and gas industry lectures before every game.
    (10) Certificates to Jean Hebert Academy of Whining (JHAW). Classes must be taken on weekends, and credits awarded are dependant on entries.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

F*ck OFF, Paul.

The others might be too polite to tell you but I'm not.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        F*ck OFF, Paul.

Comment

in b4 shitstorm
          i rep back 3+

Comment

F*ck OFF, Paul.

Wow, I didn't realize Gary was so sensitive (about his favorite show, American Idol).

Hey Gary, news flash: "others" have not been too polite to ask you to FO, and yet you're still here. I guess you're not the only duck in the pond. Hurry now, take your bp meds and count to 10.

If you and "the others" thinks my top 10 list was silly, well, yes, that's somewhat the point: just as silly as trying to keep hordes of college age kids in organized chess.
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              Wow, I didn't realize Gary was so sensitive (about his favorite show, American Idol).

Hey Gary, news flash: "others" have not been too polite to ask you to FO, and yet you're still here. I guess you're not the only duck in the pond. Hurry now, take your bp meds and count to 10.

If you and "the others" thinks my top 10 list was silly, well, yes, that's somewhat the point: just as silly as trying to keep hordes of college age kids in organized chess.
              Fuck off Paul
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Chess

F*ck OFF, Paul.

I have to agree. This poker guy is part of the problem, not the solution.

Comment

The perception of nerdiness associated with chess hurts retention. I think that the kids that are attracted to chess in the Windsor area seem to be dispelling this stereotype. Most are athletic and well rounded with interests beside chess.

The fact that chess in Canada seems to be 98% guys on average does not help though there have been some counter currents to this trend. I think the reaction of one of the boys on a high school chess team from Windsor as reported by one of my former students might provide a clue about how chess might be popularized more. He was angry at his teammates who were regular CFC players because they hadn't informed him that chess tournaments were populated by so many beautiful young women.

In Windsor about half the advanced kids chess class is made up of girls. Hopefully we can keep them interested as they move into their teens. I did notice in the intermediate class that the boys do things to chase out the girls. These are mostly kids from age eight to twelve so we to be aware of this dynamic and stop it from manifesting itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    Fuck off Paul
                    Stop beating around the bush, Bindi, and tell us how you REALLY feel!
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Chess

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                      I have to agree. This poker guy is part of the problem, not the solution.
                      Ad hominen. Usually not worth responding to, but I'll give this guy an opening to dig himself deeper, and explain himself further. He probably can't do it.

When you guys see the solution late this year / early next, you're all going to shit your drawers. Being the stubborn people you are, I don't expect any of you to migrate towards the solution, but that's ok, enjoy your game. I've said consistently that standard chess does not need to go away. It just needs to know its place and to be happy with that. Any attempt to migrate it to a better place without changing the game itself will only have EXTREMELY limited results. If you think I should FO for saying that, you have free speech and so do I (although I do not claim it as a right, and no one should: the government giveth, and the government shall taketh away).
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Chess

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                        Ad hominen. Usually not worth responding to, but I'll give this guy an opening to dig himself deeper, and explain himself further. He probably can't do it.

When you guys see the solution late this year / early next, you're all going to shit your drawers.
                        You are right after all. Not worth responding to. Sorry for bothering you.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Juniors Quitting Ches

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                          Sorry for bothering you.
                          Well, you don't have to LIE, on top of trying to appear too good to need explain yourself. If you're that good, you must have all the solutions in hand. Maybe the entirety of Canadian chess isn't good enough for you?

You play, you pay, Mr. Moron.
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

You can lead a horse to the water trough,
                            but you can not make him drink it.

Comment

The drawback to chess as a hobby is that what you get out of it is inherently rather limited. I mean if you like playing guitar you can entertain your friends. If you like woodworking, you might make a nice stool for your dining room. If you play golf you might play crappily, but at least you had some fresh air and exercise and probably your partners don't play much better anyway.

But in Chess, you don't really come up with much except for the feeling of a well played game.. and even then less than half the time. There's not really much to be done, just not a lot of people are going to enjoy this type of recreation.

Comment

Working...
                              X