Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Ontario Open: the event announcement

EOCA Tournaments webpage : http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments_2011-12.html
    entries posted @ ChessTalk : http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

The EOCA (Eastern Ontario Chess Association) is pleased to announce the final event of our 2011-2012 Grand Prix, the 2012 Eastern Ontario Open. Last year, this tournament hit a prize fund of $2500, and we are working hard to reach at least as much this year. Our recent rating cutoffs at 2200-1900-1600 have been much appreciated, and we are maintaining 4 sections around them, which should ensure 5 great games for everyone, regardless of skill level.

We are also adding a couple of discount tweaks :

1) The $30 triple-early discount will be available until THE DAY BEFORE the event starts!
    2) The $20 Amateur discount is doubled to $40 for Amateurs with >1 pre-requested bye!

Yours in chess,

Aris Marghetis, IA/IO
    arismarghetis at rogers dot com

N.B. June 1st : rechecking at least CFC Regular ratings

N.B. As this tournament occurs after the end of the University school year, travelling players can get great deals to stay in the residences of Carleton University, which is a convenient walking distance from the playing site. It is not right next door, but really is close enough, and includes free breakfasts!
    http://www2.carleton.ca/housing/conf...ccommodations/

Aris NOT at the RA tonight

Thanks to the players who have already registered by mail, or at least indicated their intent by email. I hope to have a pre-registered list posted by the end of this weekend. I realize that might sound slack to some, but I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago. It seemed like an extremely minor incident at the time, but the impact angle seems to have twisted sideways some little things in my hip area that had not been quite right. The car is finally almost out of shop, and whereas I am quite comfortable standing, or lying down, simple sitting can bring pain for hours, hence my being a bit tardy online! :(

Anyway, the main intent of this post is to advise RA members, and other Ottawa locals, that I will probably NOT be attending the RA club tonight, to take any registrations and payments. This is because I am working until 10pm. If I finish earlier, I might drop by the RA, but please do not make any specific plans expecting me to be there, as it is unlikely.

As per my current work schedules, for next Thursday, May 31st, I expect to be at the RA club until 730pm, and the $30 triple-early discount will still be available even then! :)

Of course, feel free to mail your registrations and payments today! Also, for people who deferred their payment from our last tournament, most of you have replied to my email asking if you would like to apply your payment to this event, but some have not. To be on the safe side, we assume "no reply" means "defer again", so please advise otherwise.

All the best, Aris.

Comment

finally, a pre-registered list !!

Hi there, here finally is an initial pre-registration list for this coming weekend. We already have over 30 players, and only about a dozen RA members. This is normal for Ottawa, as many RA members sign up on the last Thursday evening before the weekend. So, we're expecting the 30 to grow a bit tonight, and I will try to post a new more complete list after I get home from work tonight. On that note, please be advised that I really need to leave the RA by 730pm tonight, to get to work. Therefore, please aim for closer to 7pm. Anyone who pays this evening still gets the $30 triple-early discount. Email heads-up are welcome!

# CFC FIDE name: title last, first

Masters Section [FIDE & CFC]
      2414 2226 FM Hambleton, Aman
      2392 2292 FM Hamilton, Robert
      2345 2202 Humphreys, Michael
      2335 2027 Upper, John
      2305 2266 Masse, Hugues
      2233 2102 Filipovich, David
      2200 Torres, Aleksandr

U2200 Section [FIDE & CFC]
      2104 2098 Pace, Christopher
      2098 2058 Doubleday, William
      2070 Donev, Danail
      2030 2126 Sadeghi, Saeid
      2002 1995 Palsson, Halldor
      1992 Desjardins, Michel (bye 1)
      1974 1939 Li, Ruokai
      1954 IA Marghetis, Aris (floater)
      1926 Deveau, Justin (bye 1)

U1900 Section [CFC-only]
      1880 Cooke, Mathew
      1874 Cova, Ramon (bye 1)
      1840 MacNeill, Danny
      1818 Laszlo, Robert (bye 1)
      1816 Zhang, Kevin
      1790 Tomalty, Alan
      1755 Rose, Richard (bye 1)
      1739 Sun, Mike
      1731 2019 Ritchie, Gordon
      1700 Krolczyk, Jacob
      1683 Pace, Anthony

U1600 Section [CFC-only]
      1596 Zhang, David
      1468 Pace, Nicholas
      1464 Zhang, Jeff
      1458 Lukezich, John
      1402 Eyre, Keven
      1281 Metcalfe, Drew
      1132 Hardy, Pierre
      874 Hardy, Nicholas
      Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Friday, 1st June, 2012, 12:57 AM. Reason: adding more names

Comment

Re: finally, a pre-registered list !!

Please note, as the afternoon progresses, that I am adding more names to the posted pre-registered list above. Of particular note, we now have at least 6 players over 2200.

Comment

Re: Eastern Ontario Open: the event announcement

Good luck, seems like a formidable tournament.

Norm

Comment

Re: Eastern Ontario Open: the event announcement

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
            Good luck, seems like a formidable tournament.

Norm
            Thanks Norm, if many local players sign up tonight, then that will entice even more people to travel in tomorrow. The size of Ottawa events can be funny to predict at times. I remember one tournament a couple of years ago, where we had just over 40 pre-registered, but then almost 25 showed up at the door = last minute table moving! :)

Comment

for onsite registrations tonight

Hi again, between teaching and other stuff, I probably won't have the time to post a more recent pre-registered list today. In a nutshell, we are at 40 players. If you would like to join us, please email me by 430pm, and please arrive by 7pm to pay. I have been inclined to give $10 discounts for those simple measures, which save me critical time while onsite.

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Working...
              X