Clear All

Re: The CFC Condo

answer to the trivial question

the same value as all buyers find in any property they buy from any seller

what's my prize?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      A perhaps unfortunate downsizing, but given CFC finances, and the buildings carrying costs, it needed to be done.

Bob
      Hi Bob,

That organization can be run out of someone basement. The CFC is so small.

I ran the CCCA out of my basement in the 70's and early 80's and we had 700 paying members. It didn't start out that big but grew. The CCCA was more work intensive per member because I paired and directed all the correspondence tournaments. One Canadian Open had over 400 entrants and another approached 300 but didn't get that high. Many events were well over 100 entrants. I also wrote the magazine for 5 years before that part went over to others.

Back then I wasn't allowed to take foreign members. I always thought if I could have taken Americans and players from other nations, the CCCA would have had 10,000 members. People from all over the world, and particularly the U.S. wanted to join.

All it really took to get members and keep them was to make sensible promises and then keep the promises. So simple is chess organizing.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Therefore, that transaction has finally been done and all members of CFC can benefit from that, I hope?

Comment

Now comes the consequent decision - where does CFC set up its office now? rental? home office of ED. ? Basement ( Gary's favourite )?

Bob

Comment

Now comes the consequent decision - where does CFC set up its office now? rental? home office of ED. ? Basement ( Gary's favourite )?

Bob

Right on! Basement!

When I moved, the setup went from the basement to a room at the top. Do you remember the movie, Room at the Top?

The basement was where I kept the printing presses. It was an electric Gestetner machine. I typed the magazine on stencils and ran them off on the machine. Hundreds and hundreds of copies. Thousands of sheets of paper, backprinted. Maybe 40,000 sheets of paper a year for the magazine. For the tournaments I would type the names, addresses, etc. of the players on a stencil. I got several tournaments on one stencil. Then I would run off the copies I needed, cut them out and staple them to the form letter for the players. One for each player, one for me, one for the rating statistician and one for the person who did the time complaints. Usually 10 or more sheets per event.

The part I hated with a passion was coalating the magazine. I probably can't even spell it right but I hated doing it. I guess every job has its moments. :)

The guests were always a good time. People used to drop in like it was a store. People I'd never met. Kitchen table chess. If I asked my wife to pass me a glass of water it meant to put more water in the soup. He was staying for dinner. People phoned from everywhere. Chess players get very passionate over their games.

Have a nice holiday, folks. Thanks for reading my comments.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Bob
              The "condo" has been sold, confirmed by the Ottawa Real Estate Board. One immediate question is obvious -- how much equity was in the "brick and mortar" for the CFC? In other words, was the "condo" paid off fully?

Where now? Great chessplayers think ahead many moves, don't they? The best plan would be to "sit" with an organization that has a solid mailing address, like the CCCA in B.C. or a company that is willing to sponsor... If a mailing address moves every time the new executive is elected, the membership will become scrambled. Things cannot be done entirely on the internet or is the executive prepared to take this chance?

One of the original ideas behind the "condo" was the proximity of Ottawa and the possible lobbying for chess as a sport. I personally, cannot think of one government sponsored sport that does not have a "brick and mortar" face.

Happy holidays --- chess will survive, but the CFC may not.

Comment

Where Does CFC Go, with the CFC Office Unit Sold?

CFC President, David Lavin, in GL # 3 states:

" The CFC building has been sold for $142,000 with a closing date of January 15th. "

Has the CFC determined whether it can be run out of a " home office " by the current ED, Bob Gillanders ( with maybe an Ottawa post office box address, with mail forwarded to Bob's address )? If so, at what cost?

Or are they currently looking for office space? and if so , what city? Is this really preferable to a " Home Office " scenario? Do they intend to remain in Ottawa?

Many questions - I'm sure the Executive are expediting the answers to these questions, since they must be out in a little more than 2 weeks, and have an alternate space.

Hope the Governors are being consulted on this major decision.

Bob

Comment

Je me souviens:

CFC
                  Box 7339
                  Ottawa K1L 8E4

but the CFC gave up that one many years ago. It´s at a handy neighbourhood post office in Vanier.

I think that the PO Box should be in a major city (Ottawa would do), but the actual work can be done anywhere.

Lobbying for chess far predated the "condo". Mostly the effort turned out wasted, but the CFC did make an appearance before the Tariff Board (in Ottawa, natch) which saves Canadian chessplayers tens of thousands of $ a year. Though that tariff might have been eliminated anyway, in the natural course of free trade-ism.

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
                  The "condo" has been sold, confirmed by the Ottawa Real Estate Board. One immediate question is obvious -- how much equity was in the "brick and mortar" for the CFC? In other words, was the "condo" paid off fully?

Where now? Great chessplayers think ahead many moves, don't they? The best plan would be to "sit" with an organization that has a solid mailing address, like the CCCA in B.C. or a company that is willing to sponsor... If a mailing address moves every time the new executive is elected, the membership will become scrambled. Things cannot be done entirely on the internet or is the executive prepared to take this chance?

One of the original ideas behind the "condo" was the proximity of Ottawa and the possible lobbying for chess as a sport. I personally, cannot think of one government sponsored sport that does not have a "brick and mortar" face.

Happy holidays --- chess will survive, but the CFC may not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                    Je me souviens:

CFC
                    Box 7339
                    Ottawa K1L 8E4

but the CFC gave up that one many years ago. It´s at a handy neighbourhood post office in Vanier.

I think that the PO Box should be in a major city (Ottawa would do), but the actual work can be done anywhere.
                    NEW CFC ADDRESS:

The Chess Federation of Canada
                    P.O. Box 4790
                    Station E
                    Ottawa, ON
                    K1S 5H9

Phone: 905-756-4977
                    (24hr Automated)

Toll Free: (800) 563-4476
                    (24hr Automated)

Comment

Working...