The differences between the US Rules and the FIDE Laws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The differences between the US Rules and the FIDE Laws.

FIDE Rules and Tournaments Regulations Commission Councillors Meeting.

This took place in Lausanne Wednesday 25 to Friday 27 April. Those participating were: Geurt Gijssen (NED) Chairman; Stewart Reuben (ENG) Secretary; Franca Dapiran (ITA), Shaun Press (AUS), Ashot Vardapetian (ARM) Councillors.

The meeting was virtually all about preparing the recommended revisions in the Laws of Chess to be finalised in Istanbul in September 2012. Anybody can recommend a change, Geurt collated them and we considered all of them, in addition to our own.

People often ask,' But surely chess is 1500 years old and the last big changes were in the 15th Century?' That is true. Most discussions concern the competition rules and improving the wording of the whole document. Suggestions about changing the basic rules are usually dismissed as coming from a crazed mind.

Unfortunately Geurt took ill during the meeting and went to hospital. He seemed much recovered by the following morning and, of course, we wish him well. Since then he has said that he feels much better. There is another meeting to take place to which he is scheduled to go, in New York, concerning the differences between the US Rules and the FIDE Laws.

In due course the draft new Laws of Chess will be available.

Stewart Reuben

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...s-meeting.html

Information on the differences between the US Rules and the FIDE Laws is appreciated.
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Re: The differences between the US Rules and the FIDE Laws.

Here is a brief summary of differences between the FIDE Laws of Chess and the USCF Official Rules of Chess. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list.

There are two sections: "important" differences and "obscure" differences. The differences labeled "important" are more likely to occur in tournament play.

http://www.metrowestchess.org/Compet...ifferences.htm
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Re: The differences between the US Rules and the FIDE Laws.

Are there similar differences between FIDE rules and CFC rules, or do we tend to stick with FIDE? Two of the differences cited in the above post caught my eye:

The need to record your moves when your opponent has less than 5 minutes on the clock, but you have more: FIDE says YES, USCF says NO, I believe CFC follows FIDE in this case (from what I've seen at tournaments with SD controls)

Possibility of winning on time with K and N vs K and R: FIDE says YES, due to helpmate possibility, USCF says NO, K + N is 'insufficient mating material'. This actually came up at our club a few months ago. Player with K + R flagged, his opponent claimed win, demonstrating the helpmate position. Her claim was upheld, as I recall.

Comment

Working...
      X