Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Students Trying to Negotiate with Quebec Liberals

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    ...Several major european countries do have free higher education systems...
    And I think they are on the right track as well. Countries like Norway and Germany who have free university also have strong economies...and I would argue these two factors are correlated.

We are moving into a world where the number one resource is going to be specialized skills (And sources for unskilled work like manufacturing are going to less and less of a resource). Countries that put their priority into education will reap the benefits of this direction.

Quite frankley I'd prioritize free university over funding for arts and hockey stadiums. But I guess we all have to decide what our priorities are..

Comment

Not all German universities are free - and those that are pay for it with large class sizes and low rankings amongst the world's universities.

http://www.economist.com/node/18898286

Scandinavian countries pay for their "free" education with high personal income taxes and VAT (similar to sales taxes) of 25% and up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Not all German universities are free - and those that are pay for it with large class sizes and low rankings amongst the world's universities.

http://www.economist.com/node/18898286

Scandinavian countries pay for their "free" education with high personal income taxes and VAT (similar to sales taxes) of 25% and up.
        Not to mention that based on this person's experience getting into the classes you need can be a problem. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5083337AAT3FYt 3) One of the side effects of the low tuition (and shrinking budgets) is overcrowding in the classes. Enrollment is often based on a first come, first served basis in Germany. When I was in Mainz, once the enrollment limit was reached, anyone who was waiting was told, "better luck next semester." I knew people who had been waiting up to 5 years to just get into a single class. A result of this, is that it takes some people 10 years or more, just to graduate.
        Here at IESEG where we pay tuition, class sizes are smaller, actually the smallest I've ever had in my university career. I've had classes with less than 10 students, one class was actually with 2 students including myself. Typically it can approach 30 which is often the limit but at least half my classes had substantially less. This is partially due to the wide variety and long list of masters courses that the school offers. They know not every class will be full but they are able financially to offer the variety and depth of electives that is quite exhaustive. The school is able to bring in international professors from partner schools and also just in general so I have been taught by professors from everywhere across Europe, the US and Australia and Egypt. This is in addition to the core French faculty who also do a lot of research. Canadian professors come here as well. One from Ryerson teaches a masters course on comparatve health care systems. The school also offers a 12 terminal Bloomberg financial terminal room which is unheard of in Canada unless you are in an MBA program. Needless to say I've been in there quite a lot, taking classes and getting my Bloomberg certification. Finance classes take on a whole new level when you can get real time data to do everything from credit risk analysis to setting up international portfolios.

Let's also not forget that the US economy has a significantly higher GDP per capita than Germany. Germany is an economic power in the context of Europe and the Eurozone but it is not in the top 10 in the world. Even Canada's GDP per capita is better than Germany's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita
        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Sunday, 6th May, 2012, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X