Globe and Mail - missing chess columns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe and Mail - missing chess columns

The chess column of the Globe and Mail resides on the third-to-last page of the Focus section, each Saturday, together with the news quiz and colour cartoon, bridge, and a small advert. Occasionally, the entire page gets pre-empted. It used to be that if missing Saturday, chess would be run during the week, but now the column just disappears.

I've decided to put the missing material on the web:
    bit.ly/MissChess or equivalently:
    http://tinyurl.com/MissChess.

The material is as submitted (i.e., lacking the Globe's artful editing), and in a different layout, but it is all there. Deadline is 16 days before the date of the newspaper, so there is some time disjoint.

Enjoy!

Re: Globe and Mail - missing chess columns

I don't get the Globe and Mail anymore. When my subscription ran out I cancelled. Then I waited for them to call and offer me a lower renewal rate. They didn't.

So, I got a good deal from the Toronto Star and subscribed. I'm a Torstar shareholder so I might as well read my paper.

When that runs out I'll see who will give me the better rate. Half the fun of subscribing to a newspaper is negotiating the price.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I've occasionally tried to find the column in the online G&M but am never successful. Is it not put online?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
        I've occasionally tried to find the column in the online G&M but am never successful. Is it not put online?
        On page 8 or so of the search for my name, you'll find a link to the April 3rd 2010 chess. It's the last one available, and only to GlobePlus subscribers. Why even that was discontinued is a mystery.

Comment

Re: Globe and Mail - missing chess column

I'm trying to debug what happened to the chess on Saturday, July 7, 2012. It did not appear in the West Coast edition. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to see how chess might have been superceded by a late full-page local ad on page A9, moving a Science article that might normally appear there onto page F3, killing the Bridge and the Chess, and reordering other Focus pages. The paper's index references the missing Bridge as being in the Focus section. However, that would only make sense if chess did appear in other Globe editions across Canada. It had a brief note about Nathan Divinsky, and the game McShane-Aronian from the Tal Memorial. Has anybody seen my chess?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            I'm trying to debug what happened to the chess on Saturday, July 7, 2012. It did not appear in the West Coast edition. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to see how chess might have been superceded by a late full-page local ad on page A9, moving a Science article that might normally appear there onto page F3, killing the Bridge and the Chess, and reordering other Focus pages. The paper's index references the missing Bridge as being in the Focus section. However, that would only make sense if chess did appear in other Globe editions across Canada. It had a brief note about Nathan Divinsky, and the game McShane-Aronian from the Tal Memorial. Has anybody seen my chess?
            I am informed that the column also did not appear in rural Ontario.

Comment

I no longer subscribe to the Globe so have no idea if it appeared in this area.

If they call with a decent introductory offer, which they told me I couldn't get anymore of, I'd be receptive. Negotiating the price of my newspaper sub is one of the little pleasures of life.

Personally, I like Torstar because the dividend on my shares more than pays my sub.

I just noticed I have already written a similar post but the program doesn't allow me to delete this one. I used to remember those things. Sorry. Oh well, it always pays to advertise.
              Last edited by Gary Ruben; Thursday, 12th July, 2012, 05:30 PM. Reason: Added more great content.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Jonathan, I'm pretty sure it did not appear in the Atlantic Canada edition; I look for it every Saturday.

John Cordes
                Halifax

Comment

It's also not in the copy in the Toronto library.

Comment

Thank you, John and Erik, for the extra news tidbits.

This just in from an editor:

Just wanted to let you know that unfortunately we’re having to hold the chess column for the rest of the summer. The Focus section has been reduced by two pages until September, and we’re having to make some hard choices given space constraints. Unfortunately, that means suspending the chess column. [...] Sorry about this. I know you’ve been a longtime contributor, and it’s hard to see your column held. But it’s quite a challenge finding room for everything in the weekend package.
                    Put that in your Friday the 13th saga! Is this the end? Time will tell. If you feel that you will miss the Saturday chess column, please feel free to get in touch with the Globe. I do not know which method is the most effective.

Perhaps this is the call that blindfold (i.e., not written down) memoirs won't do at all.

I will get around to posting the July 7th, 14th, and 21st columns at the site.

Comment

Thank you, John and Erik, for the extra news tidbits.

This just in from an editor:

Put that in your Friday the 13th saga! Is this the end? Time will tell. If you feel that you will miss the Saturday chess column, please feel free to get in touch with the Globe. I do not know which method is the most effective.

Perhaps this is the call that blindfold (i.e., not written down) memoirs won't do at all.

I will get around to posting the July 7th, 14th, and 21st columns at the site.
                      All you Globe subscribers phone the paper and ask what happened to the chess column and who won the Canadian Open; Canada's biggest chess events are in the summer - where's their coverage.

Comment

Web versions of the missing columns from July 7, 14, and 21 have been posted via:

http://tinyurl.com/MissChess or

http://bit.ly/MissChess

Comment

Working...
                        X