Moscow bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moscow bound

We board in another half hour, so I'm taking advantage of the free wifi in the KLM lounge to give all you Chess Talkers a pre match mini report.

Most players don't give Gelfand much hope, but he is incredibly solid in match play so I hope to see an exciting contest.

I am quite chuffed that the players chose me to be the Deputy Arbiter for this match and will be working with the highly touted Ashot Vardapetyan (the Chief) for the 6th time. Hopefully I can still learn something from this super elite IA.

Re: Moscow bound

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    We board in another half hour, so I'm taking advantage of the free wifi in the KLM lounge to give all you Chess Talkers a pre match mini report.

Most players don't give Gelfand much hope, but he is incredibly solid in match play so I hope to see an exciting contest.

I am quite chuffed that the players chose me to be the Deputy Arbiter for this match and will be working with the highly touted Ashot Vardapetyan (the Chief) for the 6th time. Hopefully I can still learn something from this super elite IA.
    Congratulations Hal - a rare opportunity indeed and a fabulous ringside seat!! Looking forward to some notes and observations!
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks Kerry! I'm not sure I can be as candid as 2008 but I'll try to drop a few lines. The splendor of it all has yet to fully sink in actually.

Comment

Thanks Kerry! I'm not sure I can be as candid as 2008 but I'll try to drop a few lines. The splendor of it all has yet to fully sink in actually.
        Way to go Hal! When do you get your white gloves? Or am I thinking of snooker? :):) Also shouldn't this post be entitled Moscow Bond?
        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 8th May, 2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Hal, all the best, man! Very happy for you, and hope you get to enjoy every angle! :)

Comment

Thanks all for the kind words. I arrived last night via Amsterdam. It is a pity that Aeroflot no longer flies out of Pearson.

Today is Victory Day in Russia, celebrating the end of WWII. Many road closures in order to facilitate the parade, so I'm rather glad I arrived a day earlier than first planned. At breakfast this morning I watched a seemingly endless procession of military personnel marching - in the rain. The weather is more co-operative now.

We are staying at the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski, which boasts the best views of Red Square. I don't have that view fom my room but it is a very comfortable 5 star hotel. Our stay includes breakfast and we are provided a meal allowance for dinner. I'm curious to see whether our meal allowance will suffice - the breakfast is $65. I checked out the gym after breakfast and plan to make good use of it.

Comment

What do tank tracks on the stones of Красная площадь (Red Square) sound like?
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                What do tank tracks on the stones of Красная площадь (Red Square) sound like?
                they sound like history :D

Comment

Have a great experience, Hal, as a close witness to history in the making.

Comment

The playing venue is a 15 minute walk from the Hotel. I spent the afternoon there with Ashot going over details within details. He is a little anxious about the state of preparations. The playing hall is still under construction and the stage is on the small side. Instead of a translucent curtain like we had in Bonn, a glass partition separates the players from spectators, and the first row of seats is only one metre from the stage. This will create a challenge when dealing with the 170 accredited journalists who are hoping to take photos during the first 5 minutes of play.

We tested and prepared 6 (!) clocks. The time control is a combination of set time and an increment. We go 40/2, 20/1 followed by G15 + 30 seconds. This means that I will be recording moves if either player has less than 5 minutes to reach one of the first 2 controls, so we had to turn the table 180 degrees and the clock now faces away from the audience. Otherwise I would have to stand between the players and the audience during the time scramble.

Tomorrow we will return to the site to follow up on a few bits, and then back again for the press conference and opening ceremony. No speaking parts for me, and I am ok with that!

No sign of team Gelfand yet (maybe they stay elsewhere?) but I have seen Andruna Anand a few times in the lobby. They have been here for almost a week.

Comment

Thanks for the details!

Instead of a translucent curtain like we had in Bonn, a glass partition separates the players from spectators
                      I know the curtain was to prevent players from seeing signals from the audience, is the glass supposed to make it soundproof?

Comment

Congrats Hal,

I've no doubt this will be a great experience for you. Nice to see someone who works hard in Canadian chess get a break like this. Please continue to keep things going here on the home front, for which many of us are greatful.

I'm betting Anand wins by the slightest of margins. I remember some of Boris's older games where he was probably actually a stronger player, but had less memorized lines to guard him. Unfamiliarity saw him lose in his pet Najdorf at the time on more than one occasion. I wonder if Vishy can pull him away from
                        what he knows?

Regardless, enjoy watching this unfold firsthand, pretty awesome to be a part of it.

Mavros

Comment

Thanks Mavros! I will keep the home fires burning, although I must learn to say "no" a little more often in future.

My next Pro-Am is June 23-24. I am helping Ted Winick with the Toronto International July 15-20, followed by the Kitchener Chess Festival August 3-6. Hopefully by August 25 we will have raised enough money for our Olympic Teams!

Comment

Hey John - the glass does reduce the noise, but somehow it plays a role along with the lighting to prevent visual interaction with the audience. They will also be checking in all(?) cell phones. We'll see how well that works - hopefully better than the last Olympiad!

Comment

Thnx Hal for updates.

There is an official championship's website http://moscow2012.fide.com/en

Pre-match weighting (of pieces)

Comment

Working...
                              X