Top Ten Reasons to play in the Canadian Open this July in Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Reasons to play in the Canadian Open this July in Victoria

The 49th Canadian Open Chess Championship is being held in Victoria BC July 8-13 at the Hotel Grand Pacific

The top ten reasons to play in the Canadian Open:

Location - The Hotel Grand Pacific is ideally situated next to the BC Legislature building on the inner harbor.
    Health Club - Hotel guests can enjoy the "Victoria Health Club" voted best in the city.
    Prize Fund - $15,000 Guaranteed Prize Fund
    Air Conditioning - The Hotel Grand Pacific is one of the few hotels with air conditioning.
    City - Victoria is great anytime of the year. In July it is spectacular.
    Windows that open - Enjoy the invigorating sea air fresh off the Pacific ocean from your own balcony.
    Quiet - Enjoy a quiet and safe neighborhood.
    The Pacific Restaurant - Great west coast cuisine on site.
    Victoria Clipper and the Coho Ferry - Docks are adjacent to the Hotel Grand Pacific (very short walk).
    The Place to be - Everyone else will be there. Why not you?

http://monroi.com/2012-cocc-home.html

Orca Spirit Adventures http://www.orcaspirit.com/ Ocean and whale tours. Mention Chess for 20% off tour prices. There is a group tour planned for July 7th at 1pm. Orca Spirit is a short walk along the oceanfront from the Hotel Grand Pacific.

Spectacular scenery and sea life. Sign up now.

Contact

Orca Spirit Adventures
    146 Kingston Street, Marina Level
    Victoria, BC V8V 1V4

Email: whales@orcaspirit.com
    Phone: 250-383-8411
    Fax: 250-383-4666
    Toll-free: 1-888-672-ORCA (6722)

http://www.orcaspirit.com/

Comment

Re: Top Ten Reasons to play in the Canadian Open this July in Victoria

After the Tournament drive to Tofino and surf and see spectacular scenery and Ocean life in Pacific Rim National Park.Check out the Wickinnish Inn-one of the World's great Inns and Spas.If I remember,it is a 3-4 drive approx.Ucluelet is nearby and the deer roam the streets....John J. Henry,Senior Instructor Chess & Math,Toronto,Broker,OCT,World Traveller.

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
        After the Tournament drive to Tofino and surf and see spectacular scenery and Ocean life in Pacific Rim National Park.Check out the Wickinnish Inn-one of the World's great Inns and Spas.If I remember,it is a 3-4 drive approx.Ucluelet is nearby and the deer roam the streets....John J. Henry,Senior Instructor Chess & Math,Toronto,Broker,OCT,World Traveller.
        more like 5 hours to Tofino. But it's very nice and you can stop in Cathedral Grove along the way.

The deer roam the streets in Victoria too (or at least my part of town). They eat everything.

Comment

thanks for introducing us such a nice place. i love Victoria it is spectacular. and fantastic. the food tastes good.
          LED Tubes T8 for lighting

Comment

There is Canada's tallest wooden rail trestle just a short drive up island over the Malahat. It will eventually be connected to the Galloping Goose Bike Trail in Victoria (the latter is also a good reason to visit Victoria, btw).

"One of the tallest free-standing and most spectacular timber rail trestle structures in the world ... at 614 feet in length and standing 145 feet above the salmon bearing Koksilah River, the Kinsol Trestle is an incredible structure and was worth preserving.

Time Lapse photography of the reconstruction of the trestle.

WebCam

Kinsol Trestle
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

just over two weeks left for the Early Bird rate (up to June 1).

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
                I loved visiting Tofino back in 1980, but I didn't tie it in with playing in the Keres Memorial as it takes a few days. Great beach, big trees, hummingbirds and sea lions. I played chess on the bus on the way up and down with a prof from Chicago. I would have liked to taken the ferry trip.

Victoria has totem poles, museums, Emily Carr art gallery and fresh salmon on a bun on the docks. I even enjoyed a music concert and comedy show. The Butchart gardens are a pretty side trip. I rented a bicycle to circle the city in an afternoon. It's a lovely place to visit.

Comment

Let's not forget the team of Arbiters, lead by IA Mark Dutton. Did I hear that Stephen Boyd on the team as well Mark?

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                    Let's not forget the team of Arbiters, lead by IA Mark Dutton. Did I hear that Stephen Boyd on the team as well Mark?
                    Maybe you are thinking of Stephen Wright.

Comment

So sorry Roger -I meant Stephen Wright. I had the pleasure of working with Stephen in 2006 and he is excellent.

Comment

One week until the Early bird rate ends....

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                          One week until the Early bird rate ends....

i can't believe the best reason to travel to victoria hasn't been mentioned yet
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                            i can't believe the best reason to travel to victoria hasn't been mentioned yet

Back one on the left please.

Comment

Working...
                            X