Joe Chessplayer Has Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Chessplayer Has Questions

1. Does anyone know if this http://www.chessontario.com/ is still the OCA's current website? There is an announcement for the 2012 Ontario Open, which makes me think it is still the current site, but see below.

2. Does anyone know when and where the OCA will hold its 2012 AGM? I couldn't find this information at the above website. Since the OCA traditionally holds its AGM on the Victoria Day weekend, the lack of an announcement makes me wonder if the above site is not the current OCA site.

3. Does anyone know where the minutes for the OCA's 2011 AGM are posted? I couldn't find them at the above website which makes me wonder, again, if it's not the current site.

Only in Ontario, you say? WTF??
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: Joe Chessplayer Has Questions

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    2. Does anyone know when and where the OCA will hold its 2012 AGM?
    Online.
    Still debating dates.

3. Does anyone know where the minutes for the OCA's 2011 AGM are posted?
    They don't exist to my knowledge.

Comment

Will no one rid us of this turbulent organization?

No minutes? I suppose the Secretary was wearing "too many hats," was he? And the so-called financial statements? I suppose the Treasurer was wearing too many hats, too. I suppose OCA members should just shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh well, at least no one was arrested."

Nothing against you, E.Z., but it's the freaking principle of the thing. Whether it's $7 or 7 cents, why does the CFC force us to pay money every year to yet another group of people who somehow just can't seem to get it right? Can't even take f 'ing minutes right.
      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Thursday, 10th May, 2012, 02:08 PM.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Mr. McKillop,

I stated previously that the AGM will be online. I can't disagree that the lack of proper secretaries is a problem; I can not get a hold of our current secretary either. This means that the preparation of the minutes has fallen to me. Unfortunately, I am extremely busy these days but I will publish the minutes more than a week in advance of the AGM (which looks like it will commence at the end of May) but I have to do so from a collection of incomplete reports. I had contacted the previous secretary recently and he had indicated he would have some time and would send them; however, I am still waiting on them and have decided to put them together myself. Today is the first day I've had off in awhile and expected to make a lot of headway on them today. I will message you when they are done since you've taken an interest in them.

I also addressed your concerns before about whether or not it is the current website, I am unsure why you need the re-clarification. On another note, I would also like to put you a bit more at ease since you currently are in no way supporting the OCA as you are not a CFC/OCA member currently. This entire headache is why I wanted to have the AGM online this year, so a year like this doesn't happen again (one where we have no previous minutes or anything else).

I would actually like to make a request if you'd entertain it. Since you genuinely seem interested in the current state of OCA affairs, why not become a member and run for secretary or another exec position? The main problem I've seen with the OCA is that there are people who don't care at all and become absent midterm. The reason we are still deliberating on dates is because before the OCA AGM was sorted out I wanted to make sure that the SWOCL AGM took place. The SWOCL president simply left without so much as resigning and the project of the AGM was taken up by Mike (thank goodness). There are some people though in the Ontario chess community though who have been outstanding in helping with the problems this term (Mike, Bob G, Egidijus and Brett have been great to work with). I genuinely believe the majority of problems will be rectified after this term and am very hopeful for the next term.

Comment

I'll second that Rob! Peter - your provincial association needs you!

Comment

How about it Peter? You could make a difference. Seize the Treasury hat! Brett Campbell has been calling out for a successor since the last AGM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              How about it Peter? You could make a difference. Seize the Treasury hat! Brett Campbell has been calling out for a successor since the last AGM.
              I can't, Hal. I hardly have time to play chess anymore let alone take on extra responsibilities that deserve someone's diligent attention. I think that's one of the reasons behind ongoing problems experienced by the CFC and OCA, i.e. people who take on these positions and who, for the most part, have good intentions, but who are unable or unwilling to commit the effort required to do a good job. And "by doing a good job" I don't mean successfully soliciting hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorship support (although that would certainly be amazing). I mean getting the simple stuff done, like keeping an accurate set of books, getting the minutes done on time, etc.

I hope you're having a great time in Moscow. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                the minutes
                Unapproved minutes at http://www.chessontario.com/meetings...agmminutes.pdf

http://www.chessontario.com/meetings/AGMmay2011.htm will be filled with reports later.

Comment

By the way, by any and all measures, Brett has done a fantastic job this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X