Speculative sac pays off for Black in Caro-Kann game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculative sac pays off for Black in Caro-Kann game

Here's a game of mine from the 2012 RA Spring Thaw Round-Robin, an event which was won by the recently surging, and studious, John Upper, a man who is about my own age (a hopeful sign):

David Gordon (2311)-Kevin Pacey (2267)
    RA Spring Thaw (Ottawa) Round 3, 5 April 2012

1.d4 c6 2.e4 d5 3.Nc3 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nf6 5.Nxf6+ gxf6 6.c3 Bf5 7.Be3

(This move doesn't make the books, and like White's next it is hardly ambitious.)

7...e6 8.Qd2 Bd6 9.Nf3 Qc7 10.g3 Nd7 11.Bg2 0-0-0 12.Nh4 Bg4!?

13.f4

(13.h3 Bh5 14.g4 f5!?=)

13...f5

(13...Nb6!?)

14.0-0 Be7 15.Nf3 h5!?

(15...Bxf3=)

16.Ne5

(Better was 16.Ng5=)

16...Nxe5 17.fxe5 h4 18.h3 Bh5

19.g4

(Better was 19.gxh4=/+)

19...fxg4-/+ 20.hxg4 Bxg4 21.Rxf7 Rdg8

(21...h3!?)

22.Kh2 h3

(22...Bf5!?)

23.Bh1 Bh5!?

(Possibly better is 23...Bf5, clearly maintaining a big edge according to my computer.)

24.Rff1 Bh4 25 Rg1

25...Rg2+!?

(A speculative sac that I couldn't resist. Instead 25...Qh7 keeps a slight but clear edge says my computer.)

26.Rxg2?

(Now White is just lost. The consequences of 26.Bxg2 are hard to calculate, perhaps even for a computer, but only Black can hope to have the advantage.)

26...hxg2-+ 27.Bxg2 Bf3! 28.Bh6

(28.Bxf3 Be1+-+)

28...Bxg2 29.Kxg2 Qh7

30.Be3 Qe4+ 31.Kf1 Qf3+ 32.Kg1

32...Bf2+! 0-1
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 10th May, 2012, 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Speculative sac pays off for Black in Caro-Kann game

Could you also post the moves as a pgn file, for those of us who like to play thru the game on a screen.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      Could you also post the moves as a pgn file, for those of us who like to play thru the game on a screen.
      I didn't try it, but if you just grab all the text (minus the diagrams) in that post - doesn't that make it more or less a pgn file without the headers?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I didn't try it, but if you just grab all the text (minus the diagrams) in that post - doesn't that make it more or less a pgn file without the headers?
        Works though only a game without comments:

[Event "?"]
        [Site "?"]
        [Date "????.??.??"]
        [Round "?"]
        [White "?"]
        [Black "?"]
        [Result "*"]
        [PlyCount "64"]

1. d4 c6 2. e4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Nf6 5. Nxf6+ gxf6 6. c3 Bf5 7. Be3 e6 8. Qd2 Bd6 9. Nf3 Qc7 10. g3 Nd7 11. Bg2 O-O-O 12. Nh4 Bg4 13. f4 f5 14. O-O Be7 15. Nf3 h5 16. Ne5 Nxe5 17. fxe5 h4 18. h3 Bh5 19. g4 fxg4 20. hxg4 Bxg4 21. Rxf7 Rdg8 22. Kh2 h3 23. Bh1 Bh5 24. Rff1 Bh4 25. Rg1 Rg2+ 26. Rxg2 hxg2 27. Bxg2 Bf3 28. Bh6 Bxg2 29. Kxg2 Qh7 30. Be3 Qe4+ 31. Kf1 Qf3+ 32. Kg1 Bf2+

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          Because of my obsolete, partitioned computer I have trouble doing that. However, Edigijus has kindly assisted in the previous post.

In any case, as he also pointed out, I chose to include notes, and to make use of chesstalk's FEN diagram capability to include diagrams.

Comment

Nice Larsen Variation. I think White can make castling long more difficult though.

Bent Larsen playing the Caro Kann as Black
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

I think White can make castling long more difficult though.
              Yes, the Larsen-Bronstein (!?) Variation is supposed to be suspect because of 6.c3, say if after my 6...Bf5 White plays 7.Nf3 intending a kingside fianchetto, anticipating Black castling long. However there are those who at least have some ideas for improvements for Black in this variation, at or beyond move six.

Even if White continues with the plan I described, the natural 6...Bf5 may still be quite playable if, say, Black 'wastes' a tempo by playing ...Bg4 after White fianchettoes (but before White moves his queen off the d1-h5 diagonal), intending to possibly capture on f3 as necessary, and/or play ...h5, combined with castling long. White may still get a queenside attack, but with this scheme Black has more hope of a counterattack than is often the case when he castles long against White's described setup.
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 11th May, 2012, 08:38 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Calling a sac "speculative" then saying white's only two options lead to:

1) being lost
                2) having a clear disadvantage

does not show clear understanding of the word speculative.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                  Calling a sac "speculative" then saying white's only two options lead to:

1) being lost
                  2) having a clear disadvantage

does not show clear understanding of the word speculative.
                  I was saying White's second (i.e. best) option might be worse for him anyway, or else Black has squandered some or all of his initial advantage by sacrificing (as it happens, my computer initially thinks the position is equal if White takes the rook on g2 with his bishop, but if I analyze some [unforced?] possiblities...?).

Comment

Working...
                  X