Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa June 21-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa June 21-23

The RA Chess Club is pleased to announce that, in what has become an annual tradition, SuperGM and former world championship contender Nigel Short returns to Ottawa this June.:)
    This marks the third straight year Nigel has visited Ottawa for an orgy of chess. Centrepiece is a simultaneous exhibition against all comers. The results of past sessions can be seen on the Ottawa RA Chess website and it is not a pretty picture for the natives. Nigel has also given well attended and highly praised lectures on his matches leading up to and including his epic confrontation with Kasparov in 1993.
    Since his last visit, Nigel has scored a number of impressive wins, including taking the trophy in the highly prestigious Gibraltar tournament, beating the young prodigy and women's world champion Hou Yifan in a tie-break. These results have pushed his rating back into the 2700+ range.
    This year, due to other commitments (Olympiad, Poikovsky Cup, etc.) his visit will come in late June. The simultaneous exhibition will take place at the RA Centre at 7 p.m. on Thursday June 21. Cost is $45 per player (less $5 for RA club members). Registrations will be taken on a first-come first-served basis starting this Thursday evening at the Club.
    GM Short has also agreed to take part in a five-round Active Tournament with half the proceeds to go to support the Canadian Olympiad team. Five club members will have the opportunity to face Nigel directly across the board in a rapid event. There are also plans for a lecture by the GM. Details of these events will follow shortly.
    Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Thursday, 21st June, 2012, 04:15 PM. Reason: tidying up

Re: Nigel Short Returns to Ottawa June 21-23

In addition to the Thursday simul, Nigel has agreed to take part in an Active Tournament to raise funds for the Canadian Olympiad team. The event will begin at 1 p.m. Saturday at the RA Centre. There will be a limit of 25 players. Details can be found in a separate post by John Upper. Cost will be $45 less $5 for RA Chess Club members. It offers a unique opportunity to go one-on-one against one of the world's top players.
    It will be followed that evening by a lecture from GM Short on the subject of "How (not) to Prepare." Cost will be $45 less $5 for RA Chess Club members. There will also be an additional discount of $5 for participants in the Active Tournament.
    Registration will be on a first-come first served basis. Registration will begin at the RA Chess Club this evening.

Comment

I will be taking registrations again this Thursday at the RACC.

Comment

that is awesome that he is taking part in an active tournament at the RA

good luck!

Craig

Comment

There are still places left for all three events. I will be taking registrations at the RA Chess Club this evening. First come, first served, with a limit of 23 (plus Nigel) for the Active Tournament and 30 for the simul.

Comment

Three weeks to go. I will be taking registrations this weekend at the Eastern Ontario Open. There are still places left for both the simul and the active tournament.

Comment

Thank you very much for the opportunity that you are giving us Canadians and Ottawans to be around such a World-class Super GM.

Norm

Comment

Hello Gordon,

I will see you saturday at the Eastern Ontario Open. I wish there will be a place for me :(

Comment

Hello Gordon,

One of my friends would be very interested to participate in the simul. Is there any place left?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Comment

Yes
                    Please email me directly

Comment

One Week To Go

With just over one week to Nigel Short's visit to Ottawa, there are still a few spots left. I will be taking registrations again at the RA on Thursday.
                      John Upper seperately posted regarding the Active Tournament which he is running on Saturday 23 June.
                      Here are the registrations to date for the simul Thursday 21 June (please contact me if you find a mistake):
                      Kevin Eyre
                      Simon Kuttner
                      Amos Kuttner
                      Ramon Cova
                      Saied Sadeghi
                      Kamal Balazadeh
                      Stijn De Kerpel
                      Halldor Palsson
                      Bill Doubleday
                      Gordon Ritchie
                      Garland Best
                      Herb Langer
                      Michel Desjardin
                      John Upper
                      David Forget
                      For the lecture at 7 p.m. Saturday 23 June, the following have registered:
                      Stijn De Kerpel
                      Halldor Palsson
                      Bill Doubleday
                      Gordon Ritchie
                      Mate Marinkovic
                      John Upper

Comment

Hard to find book on Nigel Short....

At Strategy Games we just picked up a copy of a book written in 1981 by David Short on his son Nigel entitled:

Nigel Short: Chess Prodigy

This book is available to the highest bidder. Bidding ends noon Monday June 18, 2012. In order to bid, you have to send me an e-mail. Your bid includes tax and shipping by Canada Post Regular Mail. We will give you an update here on how the bidding is going. We reserve the right not to sell the book should the bids be too low.

E-mail me your bid at: bevand@chess-math.org

Comment

What other books on Short do you have in your Ottawa shop? There may be some customers at the simul/active events.:)

Comment

The Nigel Short simul will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday 21 June at Ottawa's RA Centre. Up to that time, last minute entries will be accepted at the door for $50 less $5 for RA members.
                            As it now stands, the final list of participants is
                            Amos Kuttner
                            Bill Doubleday
                            David Forget
                            Garland Best
                            Gordon Ritchie
                            Halldor Palsson
                            Herb Langer
                            John Upper
                            Kamal Balazadeh
                            Kevin Eyre
                            Michel Desjardins
                            Ramon Cova
                            Roger Hubley
                            Saied Sadeghi
                            Simon Kuttner
                            Stijn De Kerpel

Comment

Nigel Short's lecture, "How (NOT) to Prepare", will be presented at 7 p.m. Saturday 23 June (following the Active tournament) at Ottawa's RA Centre. Last minute entries will be permitted at the door, subject to a $5 surcharge, i.e. for $50 less $5 for RA members less $5 for Active tournament participants. The final list is as follows:
                              Bill Doubleday
                              Gordon Ritchie
                              Halldor Palsson
                              John Upper
                              Mate Marinkovic
                              Roger Hubley
                              Stijn De Kerpel

Comment

Working...
                              X