Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sour grapes

Lawrence:

That was a day I won't forget. Without bothering to look up the report in the magazine, the round was well over half an hour old when we parted ways at the Kantonalpolizei. Surely he had no more than 15 minutes left in his Rubinstein hour by the time he arrived. Of course, you were there in the hall when he arrived; I was away playing at Enemy of the People.

Igor said later that he couldn't think straight because he was worried about Lematchko. But she was well taken care of!

Roger,

I don't see that anybody in this thread has objected to the one-hour Rubinstein rule.

Comment

? are you referring to my reply to Aris who was suggesting using the full time control instead of one hour? (i.e. as an objection to the one hour rule).

Comment

Hi Roger, I wasn't objecting to the one-hour rule, but I was strongly objecting to the zero-minute rule. I just cannot see how that could be implemented at places like the RA.

Then, and meant in passing, I just mentioned that for all I care, the time could be as long as the first time control, which would make it at least 30-60 minutes anyways.

Since I'm posting anyway, I don't understand the comparisons to sports and other activities, like golf, etc. Chess is different, and the game can start without either, or even both players being there. I don't see the need to pigeonhole chess into sports, etc.

Comment

Re: New rules for Dresden Olympiad will improve chess

The new rule requiring both players to be present at the start of the game is way past due.:) What other sport / game allows a player to be up to one hour late and still continue!? In golf, lateness up to 5 minutes on the first tee to start a competitive round is penalized by a two-stroke penalty, while more than 5 minutes is penalized by disqualification.

I remember an interesting incident from Minneapolis 2005, the super-Swiss HB Global Challenge, with 50 GMs in the top section and about 1,500 players overall in seven sections, for a nine-round Swiss. The first round began at 6 p.m., and then the next four days each had two rounds per day, with the second round each of those days starting at 5 p.m. Dutch GM Loek Van Wely and his girlfriend (a lovely young lady playing in the U2200 section which I was working) arrived in the hall at just before 6 p.m. for round three, to find their clocks running and close to losing by forfeit! They were nearly an hour late, and both thought the round was supposed to start at 6 p.m.!! Van Wely managed to win his game, but he got very short of time for the first control. His girlfriend lost, due to time shortage, which caused her to play weaker than usual.

Another point not yet made by anyone on this thread is that with technology like MonRoi and sensory boards available, for live online coverage, a player with the Black pieces could conceivably sit in his / her hotel room, log onto the tournament site, and learn their opponent's first move, while giving up some time on the clock, and gain a bit of a preparation advantage; as they have not yet appeared at the board, the game has not yet started for them, and consulting books or databases would still be legal. It's a small point, I know, but it may have been on the organizers' minds when they brought this rule into force for Dresden.

Comment

Sorry, but I still don't agree with the argument comparing sports and other games to chess. By the way, you can buy-in to a poker tournament and never show up until you're blinded out, but I digress. Anyway, what is the ADDED VALUE of imposing tight punctionality restrictions on chess? I do not agree that because sports and many other games do it, that that is a good reason. Really, aside from saying it's the right thing to do, what is the genuine added value to doing it? When I am ready before my opponent, I really cannot care less when he shows up. Does it bother anyone else that their opponent's time runs low while they get to walk around and observe the other games?

Also, from a TD viewpoint, how would you enforce it? And I could not justify doing it.

Just my 2c, and maybe we should just agree to disagree. We can just cast our votes.

Comment

Chess is not like any other sport... It's technically not even a sport in any case. Have we seen chess in the Beijing Olympiads? I was watching the whole time and all I saw was america swimming and track... God that was terrible... I really wanted to watch pingpong and other unordinary sports, like chess maybe. Unfortunately, chess will probably never be a sport unless chess countries overtake the US in everything. Maybe China will decide chess is a sport when one of their players become world champion?
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I can see swimming as a sport if it's a race but diving is more art than sport with juried decisions disempowering the athletes. It's for show, for television, commodified and therefore made punctual for ease of broadcast. The simul handshakes are impressive TV and I expect the only time the late rule will be enforced is if (reader alert: Bulgarian Variation;) someone deliberately comes late to avoid shaking hands. See Short-Cheparinov Corus 2008.

Professional sports are professionals. The Olympics are amateur. Free TV content like talent shows are cheap entertainment because the performers aren't professionals. They come cheap for the glory. Someone else profits from their exhibitionism. Expecting professional punctuality via draconian punishments is surreal.

The biggest rule change: accelerated pairings. It wasn't even mentioned but seems an improvement.

Comment

Working...
                X