Oca Agm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oca Agm

For those who are interested the OCA AGM is currently ongoing on the chess.ca discussion boards. Feel welcome to sign in and participate as its open to anyone.

Re: Oca Agm

Originally posted by Robert Clark View Post
    For those who are interested the OCA AGM is currently ongoing on the chess.ca discussion boards. Feel welcome to sign in and participate as its open to anyone.
    Perhaps a report on the ontario open results? Or a crosstable?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Ontario Open: You can get a crosstable from the CFC crosstables list. I wrote to the organiser, requesting a report be posted somewhere. No reply.

Comment

Re: 2012 Ontario Open

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Ontario Open: You can get a crosstable from the CFC crosstables list. I wrote to the organiser, requesting a report be posted somewhere. No reply.
        Yes, I see it is posted now. Here is a link to the Ontario Open 2012 Results:

http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...bfc706fe868c1d

16 Players.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

16 Players.
          well 13 1/2 if you consider the players who only played one game each

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

16 Players.
            and news coverage:

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/entertain...aying-the-game

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
              well 13 1/2 if you consider the players who only played one game each
              I mentioned it in my president's report. One of the OCA's mandates to to promote chess. The benefits of this tournament go beyond the number of players drawn in. Out of those players I believe 9 were old members that became members for the tournament. Yes, I only played one round I was extremely busy but I wanted to support the tournament. This is the first CFC tournament in Thunder Bay in a long time and can hopefully start to rebuild old bridges burned in the past.

Comment

Even in its recent heyday of CFC rated chess Thunder Bay's Ontario Open drew I think 48 players, and IIRC 47 were locals. This is definitely something to build upon.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I have a question?
                  How many of the sets , clocks and those red boards did the OCA buy?
                  If lets say there were 100 then why not put 25 in each of the 4 areas.
                  GTCL, SWOCL, EOCA, NOCL?
                  Spelling may be wrong as I do not keep up with my abc's.

We need this equipment for quick use. It looks from the OAC Agm post on CFC site says no one really knows what clocks are working what is broke and where the bulk of the stuff is.
                  Very poor inventory files.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    I have a question?
                    How many of the sets , clocks and those red boards did the OCA buy?
                    If lets say there were 100 then why not put 25 in each of the 4 areas.
                    GTCL, SWOCL, EOCA, NOCL?
                    Spelling may be wrong as I do not keep up with my abc's.

We need this equipment for quick use. It looks from the OAC Agm post on CFC site says no one really knows what clocks are working what is broke and where the bulk of the stuff is.
                    Very poor inventory files.
                    I don't think that there are 100 in which case splitting them up means that there are not enough to run one decent sized tournament. Splitting them up is also a good way to lose them by slow or quick attrition.

Comment

Re: Executive nominations

I thought Rob Clark wasn't running again for OCA president.

Now it seems he's running unopposed?

Nominations:

President
                      Rob Clark (accepted)

Regional Vice-Presidents (pre-selected by the Leagues)

Secretary
                      Michael Zaghi (pending)

Treasurer
                      Brett Campbell (accepted)

Youth-Coordinator
                      Patrick McDonald (pending)

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2581
                      Marcus Wilker
                      Annex Chess Club
                      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        I don't think that there are 100 in which case splitting them up means that there are not enough to run one decent sized tournament. Splitting them up is also a good way to lose them by slow or quick attrition.
                        This is definitely true. Last I recall from a year or two ago was the number of functioning clocks was in the 60s. Sets were a little more however the (cheap) glue they were made (in China) with was wearing out and the felts (and weights) were falling off the pieces.

I think the original number was 200 actually. It definitely was for the sets; not sure about the clocks.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          This is definitely true. Last I recall from a year or two ago was the number of functioning clocks was in the 60s. Sets were a little more however the (cheap) glue they were made (in China) with was wearing out and the felts (and weights) were falling off the pieces.

I think the original number was 200 actually. It definitely was for the sets; not sure about the clocks.
                          I was thinking of the clocks actually. Chess sets are pretty cheap these days if you buy in bulk. A bit more if you go for the fancy triple weighted sets but still not too outrageous.

Replacing the felt is not that difficult. All you have to do is find the felt you want at a craft store or even a dollar store. Reseating the weights is probably just a matter of finding the proper type of glue.
                          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 30th May, 2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I was thinking of the clocks actually. Chess sets are pretty cheap these days if you buy in bulk. A bit more if you go for the fancy triple weighted sets but still not too outrageous.

Replacing the felt is not that difficult. All you have to do is find the felt you want at a craft store or even a dollar store. Reseating the weights is probably just a matter of finding the proper type of glue.
                            Actually the difficult part is I don't think they have very many of the lost weights... the sets get loaned out, the weights fall out and are not noticed, get swept up, etc.

When I helped get the rental fees set up the purpose was to reinvest 100% of that money into equipment renewal. If you want the OCA to have 100 clocks you probably need to be buying 10 brand new ones every year to replace ones that break/get stolen/etc. Similarly with the sets, and the boards should have been replaced years ago.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Vlad;

So where should this stuff be stored and who should be responsible with distribution and inventory?
                              There is no set person on the OCA executive to do this .

By splitting up the sets at least each league has an opportunity to run a tournament in their areas fast and quick instead of having to rely on a guy from who knows where to be available to either bring you sets or be available to get the sets to you. If I hold 200 sets and Ottawa needs 50 sets how do I get them there fast?

Comment

Working...
                              X