X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olmpiad - round 1 live!

Canada is playing India - all games are viewable live at

http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.m.eng.html

Just click on any game to see the current position. Games started at 9 am EST.

Re: Olmpiad - round 1 live!

Thanks Hugh, you beat me to it, by five minutes:

Br. 13 India (IND) Elo - 48 Canada (CAN) Elo 0 : 0
    GM Harikrishna P 2659 - GM Bluvshtein Mark 2557
    GM Ganguly Surya Shekhar 2603 - GM Charbonneau Pascal 2499
    GM Geetha Narayanan Gopal 2548 - IM Zugic Igor 2457
    GM Sandipan Chanda 2579 - IM Noritsyn Nikolay 2372

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Canada is playing India - all games are viewable live at

http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.m.eng.html

Just click on any game to see the current position. Games started at 9 am EST.
      And the Women's team is playing Cuba...

http://schachlive.dresden2008.de/liv...mes.f.eng.html
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Wow!

What an incredible site! Description of each player...rating chart...live games...just incredible!

Comment

Nikolay just drew on board 4... repetition

Comment

Bluvshtein appears to be winning on board 1!!:)

Comment

Bluvshtein drew, up a P. Good draw - opponent, Harikrishna, was rated 102 pts higher.

Zugic is up a P.

Charbonneau is down the exchange, but has a P compensation, but it is doubled.

Bob

Comment

Re : Wow!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                What an incredible site! Description of each player...rating chart...live games...just incredible!

Right ! :) plus there,s is Olympiad T.V you can download too !

du jamais vu (b4) that before Go-canada-Go

S.D

Comment

Canada has 2 draws and a loss against India - Zugic is still hanging in there. The ladies lost 3.5-0.5 to the Cubans with Yuan Yuanling with the only draw.

Comment

See other post.
                    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 13th November, 2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

The women's match was pretty competitive they just couldn't pull it out late in the games. A lot closer then the final score indicates.

I'm sure they're somewhat disappointed but well done and good effort Cuba was a much higher ranked opponent and particularily tough to get having just flown into Germany. I'm not sure what kind of opponent they get next there are still phantom points involved in pairings for round #2. The match wins against some strong opponents are coming I'm quite sure.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 13th November, 2008, 03:38 PM.

Comment

There was quite a bit of "lag", as evidenced by clocks going to zero and sitting there for minutes. But it was nice to have all four boards on one screen. Also the results of the game, although up immediately after the game on the Java boards, seem to be taken down also at random. If anybody's using Proxomitron, you have to bypass it for the java to work.

One immediate drawback of match points: normally we could be fairly happy to quite happy about our performance against India, but here it is just a zero. Maybe good tiebreaks for later? Tie breaks are not by game points, but you have to hope that 1.5 points against a top-10 team would be good tiebreak fodder.

I don't know if Mark had any realistic play for victory with the extra pawn against Harikrishna (Rc8 isn't a move you want to play), but at the time the draw was agreed, Canada looked OK (to me). Pascal made a constellation of consequential decisions (g4, f3) before time control, and unfortunately the consequences were disastrous, given the excellent play of Ganguly. I'm not using an engine, these are just impressions.

Comment

Zugic drew - score so far is 1.5 -1.5. A draw with India, ranked # 13 would be a great start.

Charbonneau is still playing.

Bob

Comment

There are some possible upsets shaping up in the Women's, but the first realized upset is Iran (surely in veils and running shoes) 2:2 versus the hosts, Germany 1.

Mongolia 2:2 versus Greece. Their top player Mongontuul asked me in Calvia for invitations to tournaments in Canada. I gave her email to the organizers of the 2005 Canadian Open, but they determined that she was too young to travel on her own! An important consideration. In Dresden she took out Yelena Dembo on board 1.

Germany 2 has at least a tie versus Sweden (without Cramling, but with a team having all Slavonic names).

Philippines has at least a tie against Lithuania (without the tall Cmilyte)

Australia has at least a tie with Belarus. On top board for Australia, Ariane Caoili, who played in one of the North Bay International Opens, and was the girl whose attentions occasioned Danny Gormally to punch Levon Aronian at an Olympiad Bermuda Party, defeated Anna Sharevich, frequent subject of Chessbase photospreads and a 150-rating-point favourite....

And finally, not an upset, in the bottom half, Rani Hamid is still playing first board for Bangladesh. I remember her from my first Olympiad (Thessaloniki 1984) as an arbiter, she played for the Bangladesh Open (Men's) team. Mother of five and quite a player.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Charbonneau is still playing.

Bob
                              Nope, Charbonneau rightly resigned after Qf7. Just blindfolding it, Rf4-e4 is a fatal threat. As noted earlier, one of the issues with the java boards is that results, once posted, seem to disappear at random. As I write, the Zugic result is the only one that shows, the other three have disappeared.

Comment

Working...
                              X