Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCC 2012: Assessment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    Do you really believe there is something "new" in this approach ? Do you think that top players look only at the engines' top choices ?
    Just mentioning one source I have, Jean. :)
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      Why would an elite player seek to play sharp, double-edged, risky and provocative moves, once they are out of their Houdini, when the other player might still be in his Houdini?
      This is not a "Houdini" problem. This is a paranoia problem and it is not how it goes, even at the top level. Players are pushed into ultra cautiousness by match rules and circumstances, not by Houdinis. In normal circumstances super GMs fight and take chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        Just mentioning one source I have, Jean. :)
        Even before computers the fun was in steering opponents to lines of ECO which contained errors. I did it in CC and feel certain OTB players also did this.

The evaluations at the end of the line was usually correct. The problem was the moves weren't forced and sometimes contained blunders.

Possibly future world championships will also be a game of patience. Mind numbing games waiting for fast playoffs. Short boring draws demonstrating how to dumb down a position.

I have no doubt that had those players been playing a match with an opponent of lesser ability the games would have been much more interesting and decisive.

The better players will always be able to use computers better than the weaker players.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Is it ever normal circumstances when one player is playing in the match of his lifetime and the other player is playing to keep what he has?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: WCC 2012: Assessment

This thread continues to be interesting, and respectful of others' opinions. :)

I do agree that for most of us normal (or below normal) chess players, the standard opening position is still viable. And it always will be. The problem is at the very top. To repeat myself, players are no longer trying to outplay their opponents at the 2700+ level, they are trying to out-Houdini them. And when they come to a point in the game when they are out of their own Houdini, they seek simplification and exchanges for fear that their opponent is still in Houdini. It only makes sense. Why would an elite player seek to play sharp, double-edged, risky and provocative moves, once they are out of their Houdini, when the other player might still be in his Houdini? This would be an almost suicidal way to play chess nowadays. Clearly the fact that computers are the ones finding the vast majority if not all of the opening novelties has changed the game radically, to the point where players will simply not take risks once they are out of Houdini, and understandably so, and this demands, therefore, Fischerandom. The game needs to be taken out of the figurative hands of computers and placed back into literal human hands, and brains. At least at the very elite level of the game.

To answer the point with respect to checkers being solved, this is why the game was changed to add more squares and why certain openings were outlawed from being played. I do not think chess needs to add more squares.
            Perhaps the solution is simply to let players decide. When both players are afraid of each other's opening preparation and agree to begin their game from a Fischerandom position, then why not let them do so? But nobody should be forced to play Fischerandom if he/she prefers the initial position in traditional chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Is it ever normal circumstances when one player is playing in the match of his lifetime and the other player is playing to keep what he has?
              Absolutely! The champion is always trying to keep what he has and the challenger is always playing the match of his life (trying to become the champion). Getting old Gary ? :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: WCC 2012: Assessment

Fischer random chess falls into the category of Fairy Chess. Interesting but not something everyone likes. I can recall Kriegspiel was often played at the chess club. I always liked to see this kind of activity because it kept the members interested and returning the next week.

The ICCF has Chess 960 events (Fischer Random) on their online chess server for those who want it. Anyone can enter via their direct entry as far as I know.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post

Getting old Gary ? :)
                  The Calender says Yes. :)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                    I think that giving the champion draw odds is really unfair. I like Kramnik's suggestion of playing the tie-break before the match starts, this way the actual match will never really be drawn, thus players (at least half the players) will have to try and win.
                    I also like the idea of playing the tie-break before the match. It certainly makes for an exciting start to a match!
                    However, it can be argued (successfully I think) that blitz or rapid games have no business playing a role in a World championship match. It is like breaking a tie in a golf tournament with a long drive contest. Instead playing supplementary holes is the normal way to break those ties, but it is the same kind of golf, it is not playing mini-putt.
                    So once we agree that someone must get draw odd, without resorting to fast games, what is left is giving the champion the odd. Why ? Because he has earned that right the hard way by becoming the champion. It is up to the challenger to prove that he is better, not the other way around.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: WCC 2012: Assessment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      Fischer random chess falls into the category of Fairy Chess. Interesting but not something everyone likes.
                      Yes, but let's suppose that Kramnik and Anand faces one another in a tournament game, and both agree to play Fischer Random in this particular game. Would it be wrong to let them do so?

Comment

I agree that there should be no tie-break games, either before or after regulation Houdini. You should have to out-Houdini the champion in slow games to take his title.

I do not expect we will see much Fiscerandom played any time time soon. People love to study openings, and often not the rest of the game. Books on openings outsell all other chess books combined by a vast margin. Everyone hopes that games in the world championship matches are within their own repertoire. And there is no question but that standard opening repertoire work was a great part of chess in bygone days. But this is no longer the case. And it will only get worse as more and more top players continue to play Houdini instead of chess. "Duty" to chess is not a factor. If a top player has the choice of a calm move and a plan of simplification and exchanges leading to a likely draw, and a double-edged move leading to a possible slaughter at the hands of Houdini, then unless a win is absolutely necessary, the safer move is going to be played. We will see more and more chess like the recent world championship match because the players will have no other choice.

We are witnessing the death of chess, and this sort of death is inevitable once a computer plays a finite game better than humans do. In fact, in theory even Fischerandom will eventually be ruined by the future Houdinis, but this possibility is hundreds if not thousands of years away. No current human could book up significantly in all of the permutations. With a switch to Fischerandom, players will have to start playing real and full chess games again, instead of simply playing Houdini to be followed by a few drawish chess moves. As chess is currently played, the vast majority of decisive games will be a result of one player out-Houdiniing the opponent, not outplaying him. How exciting!

Comment

I agree that there should be no tie-break games, either before or after regulation Houdini. You should have to out-Houdini the champion in slow games to take his title.

I do not expect we will see much Fiscerandom played any time time soon. People love to study openings, and often not the rest of the game. Books on openings outsell all other chess books combined by a vast margin. Everyone hopes that games in the world championship matches are within their own repertoire. And there is no question but that standard opening repertoire work was a great part of chess in bygone days. But this is no longer the case. And it will only get worse as more and more top players continue to play Houdini instead of chess. "Duty" to chess is not a factor. If a top player has the choice of a calm move and a plan of simplification and exchanges leading to a likely draw, and a double-edged move leading to a possible slaughter at the hands of Houdini, then unless a win is absolutely necessary, the safer move is going to be played. We will see more and more chess like the recent world championship match because the players will have no other choice.

We are witnessing the death of chess, and this sort of death is inevitable once a computer plays a finite game better than humans do. In fact, in theory even Fischerandom will eventually be ruined by the future Houdinis, but this possibility is hundreds if not thousands of years away. No current human could book up significantly in all of the permutations. With a switch to Fischerandom, players will have to start playing real and full chess games again, instead of simply playing Houdini to be followed by a few drawish chess moves. As chess is currently played, the vast majority of decisive games will be a result of one player out-Houdiniing the opponent, not outplaying him. How exciting!
                          "In fact, in theory even Fischerandom will eventually be ruined by the future Houdinis, but this possibility is hundreds if not thousands of years away."

Are you saying that engines like Houdini don't play F.R. very well? I find that hard to believe considering that those engines play pretty damn well when you start at a specific point in many current tournament games. Randomizing the opening simply forces the engines to abandon the opening book (as it would so oblige a human) and then the pure calculation advantage sets in.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

No, I mean to suggest that even though Houdini will certainly play Fischerandom just as well as it does standard chess, humans will not be able to remember all the permutations and analysis, there are too many for one mind to absorb in one lifetime.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: WCC 2012: Assessment

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                              Yes, but let's suppose that Kramnik and Anand faces one another in a tournament game, and both agree to play Fischer Random in this particular game. Would it be wrong to let them do so?
                              Since it's FIDE rated, the laws of chess must be followed. With an arbiter who is enforcing the rules here is what would happen from the FIDE handbook.

Article 7: Irregularities

a. If during a game it is found that the initial position of the pieces was incorrect, the game shall be cancelled and a new game played.

b. If during a game it is found that the chessboard has been placed contrary to Article 2.1, the game continues but the position reached must be transferred to a correctly placed chessboard.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

No, I mean to suggest that even though Houdini will certainly play Fischerandom just as well as it does standard chess, humans will not be able to remember all the permutations and analysis, there are too many for one mind to absorb in one lifetime.
                                As long as players insist on playing the same couple of openings with white and the same couple of defenses with black, it will be easy for an opponent to prepare. The solution is not to embrace Fairy chess. It's for the players to broaden their repetoire in regular chess.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X