Unknown Nickoloff game from 1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Nickoloff game from 1983

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, while I was living in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, (approximately 400 miles north of Toronto), and with the desire to play stronger players than 1400, I did take the overnight bus on more than several occasions to play in a chess tournament in the mighty metropolis of Toronto. In addition, Ottawa and Hamilton were two other cities that I visited to play in the Canadian Opens.
    On this particular trip, the tournament was held in a high school gym, I believe, in North York. As fate would have it, my meagre rating barely placed me in the upper section of the two-section tournament and I suffered a few more defeats than I care to remember. Thus, in the last round I had a bye.
    To make the best of a disappointing situation, I decided to watch a higher rated game. Standing about six feet away from the board, leaning against a table, I saw the following encounter.

White: Bryon Nickoloff
    Black: John Pajak
    Location: Toronto Santa Claus Open, MacDonald Block cafeteria
    Date: 11 December 1983
    Round 5
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5 4.Qc2 bc 5.Nc3 g6 6.e4 Bg7 7.Nf3 0-0 8.Bc4 d6 9.0-0 Ba6 10.Ba6 Na6 11.Qe2 Nc7 12.Rd1 Nd7 13.Bf4 Rb8 14.e5 Re8 15.Rd2 Rb4 16.Bg3 Qb8 17.Re1 f6 18.ed ed 19.Qd1 Ne5 20.Be5 de 21.d6 Ne6 22.Nd5 Rb2 23.Rb2 Qb2 24.Nc7 Nc7 25.dc Qb7 26.Qd8 Kf7 27.Rd1 Bf8 28.Rd7 Be7 29.c8/Q Qb1 30.Rd1 Rd8 31.Qd8
    1-0

I have the book "Nick's Best" by Lawrence Day and this Nickoloff game is not in the book. As far as I know, there are only three people who ever saw this game and since I recorded the game, which I believe is a good game to share with all those people who enjoy Nick's games, I decided to post it here on ChessTalk. Enjoy. :)
    Last edited by Ralph Deline; Thursday, 31st May, 2012, 01:37 PM.

Re: Unknown Nickoloff game from 1983

That tournament would have been the Toronto Santa Claus Open (Dec 9-11) - but it was held downtown at the MacDonald Block cafeteria (see EP #63 (Nov/Dec 1983). The crosstable and report appears in EP #64 (Jan/Feb 1984). Nickoloff beat Pajak in round 5, which would have been Dec. 11. The report mentions nothing about a change of site.

Ralph Deline did have a bye in the last round - scoring 1 out of 4 games played (a win against Lou Morra).

Comment

Thanks Hugh. My memory of playing in a high school gym which Nickoloff attended took precedence over the MacDonald Block cafeteria for some unexplanable reason. Maybe age. :)

I'll include the correct location on the game score.

BTW, it was an exciting game to watch as the tactics kept increasing until the conclusion.

Comment

Ralph, thanks for the inspiring game. I liked the way Pajak played it and he was aiming to occupy the d4 square but Nick got to the d5 square first and calculated better. Pajak was also a great player from that time period. There are alot of unknown Nickoloff gems. He didnt like his games published. It was always a thrill to play him (or analyse with him) and the occasional win was oh so sweet.
        And speaking of inspiration you are an inspiration to me - a hard nosed competitor at almost 70 - keep the good games coming!

Comment

Working...
        X