Trolling on ChessTalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling on ChessTalk

I looked up the definition of trolling and found the following on wikipedia -

"an attempt to incite a negative or argumentative reaction in an online discussion"

and an internet troll as -

a person who posts to an internet discussion group or chat room with the sole purpose of disrupting it.

I believe that some people post here without awareness that they are trolling.
    They look upon a post as an opportunity to launch a criticism of something
    partly relating to the main post but not directly a reply to the main gist of that post. The original poster, then replying to the unrelated attack, will then defend himself and thus complete the derailment of the original post. As an example, go to the 'Olympiad Fundraiser results' now derailed to page 2 of CT.

The problem arises when the inadvertent troller fails to read the post accurately or fails to take the time to understand what has been said and then goes on on an unrelated rant. There have been many other examples of this on ChessTalk in the past. The troller then comes across as being mean-spirited if not an ignoramus. I can think of a number of individuals who I would like to see their posts on ChessTalk but who are not thick-skinned enough to engage in a trolling attack.

So, before posting a response on ChessTalk, please read the original post carefully and ask yourself if you are on-topic. If not, please start a new thread.
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Thursday, 31st May, 2012, 11:31 AM.

Re: Trolling on ChessTalk

I have to disagree with you.

LA Kings in 4 or 5 games.

And your use of bolding was a tad snooty.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post

Just learned a new word (snooty). Great post! :)

Comment

I learned it from a classic, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". From the scene in the French restaurant. LMAO.

Comment

But from that same article:

"While many webmasters and forum administrators consider trolls a scourge on their sites, some websites welcome them"

Comment

Only shallow minds will avoid a battle of words. To those who think it is clear that the battle for words is the beginning of the battle for understanding.
            - J.-H. Donner

Comment

I say LA Kings in 3... they're going to embarrass the Devils so badly in game 3 that they won't show up for game 4 ;)
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I learned it from a classic, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". From the scene in the French restaurant. LMAO.
                "I weep for our future"... one of my favourite lines from that scene :)
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                  I say LA Kings in 3... they're going to embarrass the Devils so badly in game 3 that they won't show up for game 4 ;)
                  Clairvoyant ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X